XPS L702X

BIOS: A19

CPU: I7-2630QM

RAM: Hynix 2x4G 2Rx8 pc3-10600s-9-10-f2

Video: Intel HD 3000 / Nvidia GT555m

Hard Drive:  Western Digital 750 GB

Optical Drive: Blue-Ray

Background:

I bought this laptop second hand.  When i was checking it out with the seller, it worked fine for the few minutes we met.  Later that evening, when i had more time to use it, it would crash randomly.  I guessed that it was an overheating issue especially after remembering that some of the pics of the laptop in the ad had it sitting on an aftermarket cooler.

The crash would appear as a screen freeze / hang.  However, the mouse pointer would disappear a second or two later.  Because the screen would update, it wasn't a total video lock up.  Occasionally, i could hear the fan speed up shortly afterwards.  Whenever i crashed it required a hard reboot by holding down the power button.

I took the laptop apart.  It was apparent that it had been taken apart before as some screws were missing and some had marks from a screwdriver being used on them.  The inside of the laptop was very clean including the fins on the heat sink.  The CPU and GPU had generous amounts of thermal paste.  Some of it had spread to the surrounding diodes.  I cleaned them, properly applied new paste (Prolimatech PK1), and put the laptop back together.  It still crashed.

The previous owner had Windows 7 on it, but it was apparent that it wasn't OEM or at least highly modified.  I restored Windows 7 from the Dell image on the hard drive.  I then updated all the drivers from the web site.   The computer crashed.

There were a couple things i could do and it would not crash.  If i went into Device Manager and disabled the Intel HD 3000 video card, i could reboot and it would use the Nvidia card.  The resolution was reduced, but it was stable.  I installed most drivers this way.  Also, if i booted into Safe Mode the computer seemed more stable.

I installed a few temperature monitoring programs, but they seemed normal (high 40c to 70c ever so briefly).

I ran Dell's BIOS level diagnostics and it passed even the long memory test.  If i ran Dell's PC Checkup program and did a test of the Intel HD 3000, it would crash every time at random points.

The BIOS looked recently updated.  It had version A19 on it, and the service tag was missing which i put back in.

Solution:

While i comtemplated which hardware component was to blame, i started taking another look at the installed drivers and programs.  This led me to Dell's Quickset program.  One of the functions is changing the power plans.  While i could have changed it within Quickset to the same effect, i went ahead and changed it in Windows Power Management instead.  I chose High Performance.  The laptop now doesn't crash and will run PC Checkup's Short and Stress tests on the Intel HD 3000 all day long.  If i put it on Balanced, it crashes again.

Resolution:

Running a High Performance power plan works, but i don't consider the problem resolved.  I also am searching for ways to find the "real culprit".  The Intel HD 3000 uses RAM for video memory.  I'm not sure if the A19 BIOS update doesn't supply enough power to the CPU or RAM.  I may try re-flashing to an earlier BIOS. I also suppose that it might not be getting enough power via the mainboard.  I may look for 3rd party software that will give me the voltage information.  The RAM tests out fine in the BIOS tests and Dell's PC Checkup program (HiPer power plan active).  There's also many other components affected by the power plan such as wifi, display, USB, etc.  Any of them could be the culprit.

Any suggestions on how to track it down?

5 Posts

March 15th, 2013 13:00

Well, i finally figured out what was wrong.  It is a problem with the CPU.

At first i tried a new motherboard thinking that it wasn't keeping power high enough for either the RAM or the CPU.  After replacing the motherboard, i ran the video test for the Intel HD 3000 again with the power set on Balanced.  It failed again in the same way.

Then i tried replacing the RAM thinking that it was faulty.  The Intel HD 3000 uses the RAM for video memory.  I thought that maybe during the stress test the RAM itself had a power issue and halted causing the RAM removal messages.  After i replaced the RAM, i reran the video test.  It failed again in the same way.

Then i tried replacing the CPU.  I ran the video test a few times and it never failed.  I then put the old CPU back in and it failed again.

The results make some sense.  The Intel CPUs integrated parts of what used to be the northbridge which controls memory.  When the CPU fails, the memory controller fails causing a disconnect with the RAM.  This makes it look like the RAM was removed.

Apparently, setting the Intel HD 3000 for Maximum Performace does increase the power to the CPU.  However, with this particular CPU, it still needs more.  Unfortunately, there's no way to change it in the BIOS for further testing.

5 Posts

February 13th, 2013 20:00

Some follow up...

I went through through the default Dell power plan and changed one item at a time to match the High Performance plan.  I'd then run the video test to see if it would crash.  It stopped crashing when i changed Intel(R) Graphics Settings > Intel(R) Graphics Power Plan > Maximum Performance.  I switched it back to Balanced and it crashed the video test.

That is not to say the problem is solved.  It's only more reliable.  It will still crash eventually, but takes much longer.

I also discovered something else.  If i look in the PC Checkup at the System History, days that it crashed also show hardware changes.  It says that Memory Chip has been removed and Memory Chip has been added for each stick of memory in the laptop.  I found this during early testing of the Intel video.  At that time this RAM changes weren't listed for the day.  I crashed the laptop maybe 3 times using the video test and it still didn't pop up.  After i had it switched to Maximum Performance, passed the Intel video test, and was operating normally for about 15 minutes, i decided to play a DVD.  It got through 3 (maybe 4) movie previews and then it crashed again.  This time when i checked the System History, it showed the strange entries for the RAM being removed and added.

I have run the full memory tests repeatedly at boot up and also using PC Checkup.  It always passes.  I am thinking that it may be a power issue not supplying enough power to the RAM.  The computer starts using too much power, the RAM shuts down, Win7 crashes, and then it's reinstalled at the next boot.  Since both RAM sticks are affected, i'm led to believe that it's the power coming from the MB, not with the sticks themselves.

I think my next step is to find a program that gives live voltage data.  That way i can see how low it is to begin with and if it fluctuates.

1 Message

July 29th, 2014 09:00

I began having the exact same issues you have listed and it seems the by putting my laptop (same specifications mostly) it merely lengthens the time before a crash. I have tried everything from taking the laptop apart, cleaning and reapplying pastes. 

Were you able to effectively swap out your CPU with a newer model and if so, what model worked?

5 Posts

July 29th, 2014 10:00

I swapped it for an Intel Core i7-2670QM.  I didn't go with this because of technical reasons.  It may be better, i don't know.  I went this because it was only a few dollars more on a popular auction web site than a direct replacement.

Since i've replaced the CPU, the laptop has been running without any trouble at all.

No Events found!