Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

8 Posts

January 12th, 2009 02:00

XPS M1330 HDMI video problem

Hi,

I have been searching on these forums for a while but i couldn't find a similar problem description.

I have XPS M1330 With Nvidia 8400GS & HDMI out. Running on Vista Home Premium.

When i connect my laptop to LCD TV (tried on 2 TV's. 32" HD ready 1366x768 and 42" FULLHD 1920x1080) via HDMI cable. I get perfect picture on TV. I can use windows and applications.

But when i start watching a movie or start a game (i think any runnung picture) picture is starting to go blank for a 1 or 2 sec on every fev second. But it is not a fixed frequency. It is random. sometimes i can watch it for 30minutes with no interruption bur some times screen start to go blank (black screen) on every few seconds.

When i stop video or game and go to static windows desktop screen, there is no problem. I think problem is depending on moving pictures?

Depending on TV black secreen last for 2 second (on 42" Philips LCD) or about 5 secs (on 32" Toshiba LCD) i think black screen duration is on depending to TV's software's initialization time for HDMI signal.

I have tried running a game (very simple game running on 640x480) and blanking frequency was quiet high on the game, i coundt play because of intterruption.

I have tried updating nvidia graphics driver from dell driver page. I have tried using nvidia stock driver. I have updated to my system bios A11 - A12 - A14  but nothing helped.

I have tried changing HDMI refresh frequency 50hz and 60hz.

I have tried using several video player softwares, Media Player classic, Media Player, KMP Player.

Any body has an idea?

8 Posts

January 15th, 2009 00:00

Unfortunately no body seems to have same problem with me..

I don't want to give my laptop to technical support also because i don't believe they will understand that problem. Even if they replace graphics card or something there is possibility to have that heat problems or mechanical problems after that. Now there is not any heat problem with my computer and i don't want to touch it :)

But looks like there is no other way..

1 Message

January 16th, 2009 15:00

My m1330 xps got GPU overheat problem, so got my MB replaced, but after the replace I have got exact same problem described above on windows XP.

It's software/driver problem, because I put Ubuntu Linux on my box yesterday and all those weird few second blackouts were gone, when watching movies on my LCD TV 32" throught HDMI on Linux.

4 Posts

January 25th, 2009 18:00

1. Here's the fix for no sound from laptop to TV via HDMI connection.  It's not a sound, video card problem AND THERE IS NO EFFECTIVE "PATCH" FOR THIS.  i'VE TRIED THEM ALL...  It's a VISTA problem FIXED BY DOING THE FOLLOWING;HOWEVER, YOU HAVE TO REVERSE THE PROCEDURE EACH TIME YOU WANT SOUND BACK TO YOUR LAPTOP SPEAKERS:
    1. Go to Windows Media Center
    2. Go to tasks
    3. Go to settings
    4. Go to general
    5. Go to Windows Media Center Setup
    6. Go to set up your speakers and click next
    7. Choose Toslink (digital) and click next
    8. Choose two speakers and click next

8 Posts

January 26th, 2009 01:00

Thank you, but my problem is not related to sound. I still don't have any idea how can i solve my video problem over HDMI.

I will try playing a video on linux over HDMI some time. But even if that solves my problem i still don't have solution on how to solve that on Vista.

4 Posts

January 26th, 2009 22:00

I've been having the same problem. You're a bit luckier than me though because my tv connection just drops without warning. In the 1.5-2 minutes I get before the connection drops, I was able to get sound without a problem. I was using the Win 7 Beta and thought that may have been the problem. Fresh installed back to Vista, same result. I've searched quite thoroughly but haven't come across any answer just yet. Have tried both Dell and Intel video drivers. My one question is that I'm using 64-bit Vista (same with Win 7 when I had it installed -- may go back to it as its a HUGE improvement over Vista), so that could be an issue? Other specs for comparison: Core 2 Duo T8300, 4gb ram, Intel graphics, onboard sound.

2 Posts

January 27th, 2009 07:00

Hi, I have an XPS 1530, Vista Business, updated Mediadirect to 4-7.

To get HDMI sound on tv, right click on  speaker icon in tray, lower right corner of my screen, select Playback Devices and set HDMI as default.

8 Posts

January 28th, 2009 04:00

Hi, I have an XPS 1530, Vista Business, updated Mediadirect to 4-7.

To get HDMI sound on tv, right click on  speaker icon in tray, lower right corner of my screen, select Playback Devices and set HDMI as default.

Sorry but my problem is not about sound output. My problem is related to video on LCD TV over HDMI cable.

4.6K Posts

January 28th, 2009 07:00

About the only thing you haven't mentioned trying already, is updating/reinstalling codecs?

Why not try installing one of the K-Lite codec packs :emotion-55:  It *may* just help, and it certainly won't harm :emotion-5:

4 Posts

January 28th, 2009 17:00

I know that suggestion wasn't directed towards me, but I've tried the connection with and without codecs (k-lite and vista codec packs) and it makes no difference.

4.6K Posts

January 29th, 2009 10:00

EDIT: Believe it or not, my problem was a ground loop. Unplugged the laptop charger, connected HDMI to the tv and everything worked perfectly.

Good good :emotion-21:

One down - one to go :emotion-2:

2 Posts

January 29th, 2009 12:00

stop sending replies

4 Posts

April 13th, 2009 19:00

As stated above, I thought my problem connecting HDMI to TV was a ground loop. I was wrong. After speaking with Dell's technical support last night, I was made aware that HDMI on the M1330 with Intel's Integrated graphics card WILL NOT WORK ON ANY TV LARGER THAN 32". Apparently "its not powerful enough" to power the television connection (which was a rather broad answer in itself). I was told I could have my motherboard replaced with one containing the ultra-high-failure-rate NVidia 8400 graphics chip ..... for about $400-500, and then I would be able to use my HDMI port. Hilarious. Sure, I'll pay that and have a new paperweight 6 months later when the card fails and my warranty is up.

Considering the HDMI port was one of my larger buying points, I feel cheated. It was also quite surprising that as a customer who has purchased about 10 Dell PC's through the years, they would not budge on helping me out. Thanks for alienating another customer, Dell.

14 Posts

April 14th, 2009 16:00

How did you make Ubuntu running on your laptop? I have the same and gpu was replaced. But know i cannot instal anything but Vista. Coputer shuts all the time :(

14 Posts

April 14th, 2009 16:00

Err, that techies are not telling the truth to you. Because i had no problem with HDMI issue and i have LCD TV which 37 inch. So do your guess

4 Posts

April 14th, 2009 17:00

Good reply.. thanks.  It is a bit odd that a fixed number (32 inches) is the cut-off between the connection working or not working. I'm debating if I should even go through the trouble/frustration of calling back and and trying to get this resolved.

No Events found!