TheRealFireblad
5 Rhenium

Re: XPS M1330 HDMI problem

EDIT: Believe it or not, my problem was a ground loop. Unplugged the laptop charger, connected HDMI to the tv and everything worked perfectly.

Good good emoticon.Yes.title

One down - one to go emoticon.BigSmile.title

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
Integrated 2MP Webcam
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

wmb335
1 Copper

stop sending replies

0 Kudos
tbrown11
1 Copper

As stated above, I thought my problem connecting HDMI to TV was a ground loop. I was wrong. After speaking with Dell's technical support last night, I was made aware that HDMI on the M1330 with Intel's Integrated graphics card WILL NOT WORK ON ANY TV LARGER THAN 32". Apparently "its not powerful enough" to power the television connection (which was a rather broad answer in itself). I was told I could have my motherboard replaced with one containing the ultra-high-failure-rate NVidia 8400 graphics chip ..... for about $400-500, and then I would be able to use my HDMI port. Hilarious. Sure, I'll pay that and have a new paperweight 6 months later when the card fails and my warranty is up.

Considering the HDMI port was one of my larger buying points, I feel cheated. It was also quite surprising that as a customer who has purchased about 10 Dell PC's through the years, they would not budge on helping me out. Thanks for alienating another customer, Dell.

0 Kudos
Gennady1976
1 Copper

How did you make Ubuntu running on your laptop? I have the same and gpu was replaced. But know i cannot instal anything but Vista. Coputer shuts all the time 😞

0 Kudos
Gennady1976
1 Copper

Err, that techies are not telling the truth to you. Because i had no problem with HDMI issue and i have LCD TV which 37 inch. So do your guess

0 Kudos
tbrown11
1 Copper

Good reply.. thanks.  It is a bit odd that a fixed number (32 inches) is the cut-off between the connection working or not working. I'm debating if I should even go through the trouble/frustration of calling back and and trying to get this resolved.

0 Kudos
surfman1511
1 Copper

Re: XPS M1330 HDMI video problem

I am having a very similar problem. I have a 42" 1080p LCD TV, and I attempted to connect my XPS M1330 With Nvidia 8400M GS & HDMI out. Running on Vista Home Premium to my TV via HDMI. I successfully set up dual desktop on it and started to watch a movie on the LCD TV while working with some other programs on my laptop monitor. It worked for about 15 min. and then all of a sudden my LCD TV blacked out and instead of the "no signal" message popping up, a "not supported" signal popped up. I KNOW it isnt the TV because i connected my xbox 360 via the same HDMI cable and the same HDMI port and it worked perfectly....

So first off.... the tech guys at Dell are lying, because it was working fine for me on a 42" screen... and secondly, I highly doubt you need to upgrade your motherboard. 

However, the problem still exists. If anyone could help with this problem it would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos