Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

L

1 Message

November 15th, 2008 02:00

XPS M1330 Nvidia 8400 heat and fan noise problem

Hy everybody,

Can anyone help me with the next problem? I have update my Nvidia 8400 GS driver and since than the fan is spinning arround all the time, without stop. I rolled back driver, to an older version, but no help.

Thank you

12 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 14:00

Hi Thomas

I updated to Bios version A14 from the original A12, I wasn't having a problem but after reading a whole lot of negative stuff about this laptop I  thought it wouldn't hurt. I really haven't had any problems with the new bios, the fan seems to run on low all the time but you can only hear it if you put your ear on the keyboard. I am concerned about the temperature of the graphics card, it idles at around 60c. Ntunes stress test has it up to around 90-94c and 3DMark05 gets it up to 110c :emotion-7: I'm running Dells latest drivers for Vista64.These temps seem very high to me, anyone want to comment on that?

The WLan card on my laptop is the Intel 4965AGN and seems to be the hottest part. If I put my hand on the underside of the laptop where the graphics card is it is mildly warm, even though the sensor says it is at 60c. Where the WLan card is the temp seems much higher, definately uncomfortable to have on your lap. Is this right? Should a wireless card be so hot?

30 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 19:00

My 1330 has a replaced mobo because of THE video problem. The new board as installed was bios A13. I've since updated to A15 and installed Nvidia's notebook drivers (179.28). The fan runs at low speed (quietly) most of the time. The gpu idling temps are 57-58C. The area under the gpu is mildly warm, but much cooler than before the mobo replacement. The area under wlan (4965AGN) is slightly warmer than near the gpu, but not uncomfortable. I never turn off wireless...should check temp with it off, I suppose.

Not sure if any of this is helpful, but it doesn't sound like my system is much different than yours. My OS Vista32, btw.

5 Posts

January 27th, 2009 09:00

I updated to BIOS A15 and the noise went away.

5 Posts

February 10th, 2009 05:00

Radutheodor:

I could not agree with you more and I don't know where to start agreeing with you because there are too many places.  Let's start with Dell's Customer Service.  Years ago when Dell came on the scene, at least when they began to be a major player in the PC world, their marketing equated Dell with Exceptional Customer Service.  "Dude, get a Dell!"  They also tried to make Dell seem hip and easy.  I believe that in the past several years Dell's Customer Service has been reduced to the worst in history.  I could not get, that after every time I called Dell with a problem, after hanging up the phone, I would say to myself "How in God's name is this company still in operation and does Michael Dell know about this tragic flaw in their company."  Dell is now advertising that for an extra cost you can get U.S. based support.  I find this to be absolutely rediculous.  This should be free!!!!!!!  Dell has lost it's way and has lost me as a future customer forever!

I have to give Dell some credit though.  The last time I called Dell, the guy was very helpful and got the problem right away.  This is all fine and good but to have one good experience and many many bad experiences does not leave me a happy customer.  I love technology, I love computers, Blackberry's, any digital device I can get my hand on.  I do not love Dell anymore.  I will never purchase a Dell product again.

I have used a Dell product for about the last 8-9 years, I currently have a Desktop (Dimension 4700) and a Laptop XPS M1330.  (I used an old PowerMac in College, which did have its problems but I still loved it)  The Desktop has actually treated me fairly well.  The laptop on the other hand has been a problem since the beginning, I bought it around December 2007.  The first problem being the rediculous price I paid for it only to have the online price drop $500-600 several days after purchase.  Ok, I know how technology is priced, I just never realized how painful it was until it happened to me. 

I have concluded and made up my mind several months ago that I have only one choice in the matter of "Dell".  That conclusion is to go to the company that I have loved since the beginning, Apple.  I plan on selling my Dell XPS soon for a new Macbook 13".  It has been a long time coming with too much frustration.  I know it will be a happy day when I have gone over to Apple.  There are many other things I would like to say but I do not have the time :)

-Jack

February 10th, 2009 09:00

Jack,

let me tell you a bit of a history. Back in 2005 I had my first laptop, a HP dv4040. 1Gb RAM, 100Gb HDD, 1.7Ghz, Windows XP, not even ONE ISSUE with the laptop or Windows in 2 and half years.

I am form Europe, but I was on a business trip in 2005 when I bought a Dell (Inspiron) laptop for one of my work colleagues. I remember that the laptop came with damaged DVD unit. I even don't remember how I was so luckily to do some tests. At that moment in my life I was assuming (stupid me) that they will NEVER sell you a not working unit.

Imagine me staying 3:49 HOURS !!! on the phone trying convince them have the laptop back and DVD unit replaced. They walk me thru not less than 12 departments !!! including anti-virus software department !!! Every new guy was starting with "gathering my info". I had to say more than 10 times name, email address, order number, billing address, shipping address, what is the problem, and all this things to guys in INDIA with their horrible spoken English ... after saying the problem, the same scenario: sir, please open the laptop and bla bla ... I was keep repeting them "IS NOT MY LAPTOP, and I am not going to open it. I want to ship it back to you and you give me another laptop. I have paid a NEW WORKING LAPTOP and you should not assume that I KNOW HOW TO OPEN A LAPTOP. Maybe I am a 100 years old guy who doesn't have both hands and I cannot open some screwdrivers ... I paid a new laptop, including a new DVD unit and YOU SHOULD BE THE ONE REPLACE IT, not to mention the harm you've already did to me". Everytime, the same thing: after 20 minutes trying to convince me do their job, they were "transferring me to the right department of returns" ... after hearing stupid radio commercials for other 20 minutes, another indian guy, the same story ... all this on my time at work, on my money on the phone ... imagine THAT I COULDN'T MANAGE convince them have the laptop back and replace the DVD unit ...

Anyway, I didn't wanted to hear anymore about Dell ... but in Dec 2007 I saw this XPS M1330 to one of my friends in London ... for very few seconds ... it remained in my mind ... I didn't knew is a Dell ... I've asked him in Jan 2008 "what notebook is that red one?" ... Dell ... well I said, let's give a try. I've gave away my HP for free to one of my friends and bought the laptop ... first of all, you don't want to imagine how painfull was the process of buying the laptop ... I was in Europe and ordered the laptop to some of my US friends ... it took me 2 weeks over the phone, daily, untill finally the order went through ... I cannot believe that so many unqualified people can have a decent job in these days. We have to write a book one day, print it and send it as a gift to Michael Dell ...

I think I should not deviate from the subject of this topic. I spoke yesterday with my friends, to whom I saw the laptop back in London in Dec 2007 ... he already had replaced twice the motherboard because of the nVidia issue and once had changed the laptop display. In an one year old laptop.

I will give the laptop as a gift to my 2 years old daughter and I will buy something else, most probably an Apple MacBook Pro ... I had enough of Vista and Dell ... I will allow to my daughter to do whatever she like with this piece of junk which anyway most probably will crash and burn in less than 6 months form now ...

But as you said, apart from 0 customer service and poor laptops, they have good desktops. In my last 5 years in 3 different working places, I had used Dell computers which had ZERO PROBLEMS/ISSUES. I wonder how CNET reviews can justify choosing XPS M1330 as BEST EDITOR CHOICE for 2007 ...

1 Message

February 17th, 2009 02:00

Hi everybody,

I had the same problem. Overheating and fan noise. I had a number of conversations with Dell about the issue. Yesterday a technician replaced the motherboard and fan. This appears to have resolved the immediate problem of overheating. The new motherboard came with Bios A14 dated 19-Nov-2008. My M1330 is now quite cool in operation. When the old parts were removed there was very visible evidence of heat damage.

In one conversation with Dell I was told that the problem with the graphics card arose because faulty glue was used in the manufacturing process. Apparently the correct glue is supposed to liquify when heated thereby acting as a coolant. However the faulty glue crystallized when heated and this resulted in overheating. The cards now being supplied have the proper liquifying glue.

Accordingly I infer from this that Bios changes causing the fan to run all of the time may slow down the progress of damage where one of the "faulty glue" cards is installed.  However where a card has been replaced with one made with the "correct glue" the constantly running fan may be unnecessary. However I suppose that it is not really possible to have a Bios version to cool a faulty card and another Bios version to operate with a properly functioning card.

I am unhappy about the fact that I now have a fan that is running all the time and drawing power from the battery.

1 Message

February 17th, 2009 21:00

Hi everyone,

I might as well add to the din.  I purchased an M1330 last Summer as a replacement for a beloved Dell 700m.  In use I had a couple of instances of the machine suddenly powering off that I wrongly attributed to software (Vista), but now know it was heat (I blamed Vista because I have had major issues with it, some of which I've yet to resolve).  In my case, I never detected any excessive heat from the case, but then I seldom hold a laptop on my lap.  The long and short of it was the problem of seemingly spontaneous power off occurred a couple of more times before I finally became suspicious and ran HW monitor, to be properly horrified at the temps being shown by the CPU and GPU.  It also dawned on me that the fan had increasingly begun to run full bore of late so I followed FAQ suggestions to update BIOS, which I did after letting the system cool off overnight lest it die during the process.  Interestingly, on reboot from the BIOS update, it died, presumably from heat, during memory check (I have 4Gb), a red flag that sent me immediately to Dell chat to set up a service call (much easier than by phone, incidentally).  They sent a tech the next day to replace the fan and heat sink assembly.  He brought along a motherboard as well, but I saw no reason to replace the old one (anyway, I have a 4 year warranty).  Temps are now in line with what others have reported as being normal.  I ran a pretty good stress test using a simulation that iterated 10000 times with continuous screen updates and was happy to see the temperatures plateauing well below what I had been experiencing (I saw GPU temps over 95C, believe it or not).  When the simulation finished, temps immediately dropped back to idle levels.  I think in my case the seal between heat sink and CPU had been damaged or improperly seated, possibly the result of a severe drop during shipping.  I'm not sure why that would affect the GPU, but it's possible the whole heat pipe had loosened.  nVidia has a new driver out for the GPU incidentally, which I also installed on the theory it might also help things.

I have to give Dell credit for a very fast response and repair.  I'm sure it helped that I had already tried the obvious steps myself.  It's too bad heat problems seem to be prevalent in this Dell line since the machine is very nice otherwise, although my old 700m in many ways made for a better travel machine.  Unfortunately Dell and other laptop makers who used this particular nVidia GPU are going to pay a customer credibility price for nVidia's mistake.

5 Posts

February 18th, 2009 07:00

I have the solution for all of us M1330 owners out there.  Sell your Dell and purchase a new Macbook.  My next purchase will be the 2.4Ghz Macbook with backlit keyboard (genius).  It really is a thing of beauty.  Best of all you can run windows on it for those of us who still need windows apps.

By the way, anyone install the Windows 7 Beta yet?  I have installed it and it's not too bad but it still has it's drawbacks.  One thing that I found out too late due to me being to eager to install it, was the fact that I have to remove Windows 7 be August as that is when the Beta runs out.  That process is painful.  Will have to back up all my data and they recommend a clean install of the prior OS, mine being Vista.

February 26th, 2009 11:00

Happened to you yet? LCD, Vertical Lines

On Feb 24, 2009 – Discussions ONE through FOUR
System: Dell Inspiron 9200
Purchased: 2005
Problem: LCD, Multiple Vertical Lines, Single pixel lines, One Red (Center), One Green/Yellow (Right side on screen)
Computer is used for ArcGIS mapping, 17 inch screen comes in handy when working right
Telephoned Tech Support: 1(800) 624-9861 at 9:15AM Pacific Time on Tues, Feb 24, 2009
9:15AM, First Customer Service Agent requests for me to pay $49 for tech support. I indicated that the problem was noted in over 100 letters I had viewed in Dell Community Forums so I would not be paying for tech support. I was told that because my warranty expired one year after I purchased the computer, that I must pay. I indicated that people had gone over the warranty and still had their faulty LCD’s replaced. I was told that I would need to be transferred to somebody else. I am transferredfrom the customer service center in India and wait for the next person to respond.
9:25AM, Second Customer Service Agent, IDENTITY EDIT asks for my Service Tag number. IDENTITY EDIT begins a repeated effort at securing a $49 tech support payment. I indicate that this is not a problem which I need to pay $49 for, the matter of a defective LCD which I need to have addressed. IDENTITY EDIT proceeded to swindle $49 in 5 different methods, to which I called her out and told her that she was attempting to take money for defects that had already been diagnosed. IDENTITY EDIT proceeded in battle for nearly 10 minutes before I finally asked to speak to a supervisor. I was instructed by IDENTITY EDIT that a supervisor could only repeat what she had discussed with me. I indicated that this would be fine, to please transfer me to a supervisor. IDENTITY EDIT placed me on hold as she attempted to locate a supervisor. At 9:40, I was told by IDENTITY EDIT that a supervisor was not available, but she would transfer me to a tech support manager to address the RECALL ISSUE.
9:50AM, Third attempt, A Tech Support service agent came on the line and asked for the Express Service Code, to which I also offered the Journal ID # 09055LY0NJ from Wizard ID 341382, from the pages at Dell which troubleshoot your problem. I was asked to hold so the agent could check his resources.   When the tech support person came back on the line, he was familiar with the Vertical Line issue and asked for me to bring another monitor to the laptop to see if the vertical lines appeared on another screen. They did not. The technical support service agent then asked me to power down the computer completely, then power up and press the F2 key 5 times. This brought up a grey screen. The technical support service agent then asked what was on the screen, which I indicated that a black and grey backdrop with white lettering was present. He asked if the lines were still there, and I indicated that they were. At that point, the technical support service agent indicated that the LCD would need to be replaced. He immediately went into suggesting that I purchase a $197.26 warranty, which I could be offered a deal for $149.00. I was told that the Warranty was normally $337. I responded by asking why he would perceive that I needed the Warranty. He indicated that it would be offered in case I had any future problems. I asked why he perceived that there may be future problems and how that might be applied to my LCD screen. He then indicated that the money would not at all be applied toward the current issue with the LCD. I then asked if the $149.00 amount was supposed to be the amount for replacing the LCD screen. He indicated that it was not the amount to replace the screen and that he would not be able to offer a price or a discount for the LCD. I then proceeded to say that if the $197.26 was not affecting the outcome of the LCD being fixed, then why was it suggested? As the technical support service agent was hesitant, offering that in the world, there are these problems and these things happen, I agreed with him, but asked if I could speak to his supervisor. The technical support service agent indicated that his supervisor was only going to reiterate what had already been talked about and probably could not do anything. I indicated that it was alright, that I still wanted to speak to a supervisor. At 10:20PM, I was transferred to a Tech support supervisor.
10:35AM, Fourth attempt, A tech support supervisor came on the line. It was a peculiar situation, as the person on the line sounded just like the person that had just talked to me. They repeated almost word for word the problems that had been discussed with the tech support service agent I had just spoken with. Upon repeating these problems, I was placed on hold for a moment. The next time somebody came on the phone, the accent of the person speaking was different than that of the person I was speaking with before I was placed on hold. This manager asked what I would like for them to do. I proceeded to say that like the 100 letters that I had in front of me indicating that this is an ongoing problem with the Inspiron 9200, 9300, and 9400 versions, I would like to have the problem with the lines in my LCD rectified, if that meant sending a container to send the product to them or having a technician look at the problem. I was asked by the manager where I got my information. I indicated that I found three sources:
Upon giving the manager these three sources, he proceeded to tell me that the information in these sources really is not accurate a great deal of the time. I proceeded to ask the manager that since I know four people on these sites that have indicated they have had problems, so are you then implying that my friends are lying to me. He said he was not saying that they were lying, to which I replied, “but then you are merely implying that they may be lying.” He then asked for the URL link, and then proceeded to say that it was not working for him. I asked for his e-mail address so that I could send it to him, but he was reluctant to provide one. I finally stated that what I believed that I was experiencing with Dell was a lot of finagling. I also indicated that as a seasoned journalist, I would be inclined to publish the conditions that I had experienced on Dell community forums as well as in other publications.  I indicated that with the number of computers and businesses that I have that use computers, while we use HP and Toshiba among others, it is unlikely that we would wish to purchase equipment from Dell again, based on the treatment from customer service that we had experienced. He then said that the request was really out of his hands, but that he could generate a case number for me, if I wished, where somebody would get back to me within 3 days. He placed me on hold again. When the manager returned, he indicated that I could use this case number he generated as a reference and anybody would be able to use that number to give me a response on the status of my request. I am now waiting to find out how Dell will proceed.
Have you had experiences with Dell like this?
February 25, 2009 FIFTH Encounter

Content 2nd Edit February 26:  Early Morning
RE: Dell Inspiron 9200 Laptop
Problem: LCD, Multiple Vertical Lines, Single Pixel
Purchased: 2005
Time: 12:00 Noon, Pacific Time
Date:  February 25, 2009
Today, I received a returned call from __Identity Edit__, answering my appeal to Dell in Case__Numeric Edit____. Less than one minute into the conversation, _ Identity Edit __ became rather aggressive, scolding me for phoning them yesterday. According to__ Identity Edit ___, it was wrong of me to phone when I did, indicating that I did not place my call to Dell at the appropriate time in regards to the LCD failure on my screen, and that based on upon blog information indicating people were having problems (the recall), that is the only reason why I was responding when I did. _ Identity Edit ____ indicated that there is now no warranty to cover the LCD. The tactics used by __ Identity Edit ___ were in a manner of business used by collection agencies or of a workman’s compensation claims adjuster attempting to deny a claim to a loyal employee. With __ Identity Edit ___, there was a significant amount of finagling, with a lack of resolution and an uncompromising approach to managing the problem at hand. __ Identity Edit ___ plowed through the conversation, not allowing me to finish sentences, not allowing me to speak. As a Dell customer, I became __ Identity Edit’s___ hostage.

While I realize this is business and a number of tactics are used in the workplace to make it a business, ___ Identity Edit __ was very unprofessional. When __ Identity Edit ___proceeded to hang up on me while I was speaking, I responded by not hanging up my telephone. I waited for nearly a minute until __ Identity Edit ___ returned to the phone. I continued the conversation with ___ Identity Edit __ while he refuted that he had hung up on me and was merely placing me on hold because he has a terrible cold. I told him I was sorry to hear that he had a cold. I reminded __ Identity Edit ___ that the approach that he and Dell were using were corrupt measures which finagle customers experiencing problems with their machines. __ Identity Edit ___ proceeded to ask me if I had anything else to say. I told him I did. I let
____ Identity Edit _ know that I would continue by publishing the measures Dell used in my circumstance (attempting to charge for customer service from a North American agent, charge for tech support, charge for a warranty, drop the price for a warranty, etc) to finagle me out of lots of money while not fixing my problem. _ Identity Edit ____informed me that it was certainly my choice to do so and asked if there was anything else I wished to discuss. It is painfully evident as a customer that the biggest part of this problem emerges from the outsourcing of consumer satisfaction and tech support agents. While I was initially offered, at a fixed cost, to speak to an agent in North America when I first called Dell, it is apparent that Dell realizes the problem customer’s face, and feels their customers can just pay for the problems if they really desire somebody to come on the line and have them fixed. Should Dell really put customers in the position of paying to have somebody in North America fix their problem over somebody offshore (though some offshore facilities far exceed others)? Thus, I do see that there is a “sweatshop” system at Dell that may not initially be apparent to the customer that is deciding between a Dell and an IBM, Toshiba, Sony, or a Macintosh. I could have paid all of the fees along the way, but it really would not have put me much closer to having the system fixed. The tactics used by Dell were “teasers.” Thus, dealing with Dell over the course of two days has been a system of tactical communication maneuvers with offshore agents. Having a computer LCD that displays a GIS accurately should not be so difficult to accommodate. I am going to investigate the computer purchases for business’ and home better in the future by evaluating more closely how the companies rate for customer service interaction. Still, when I hear that the nature of my problem stems from a recall on a computer part and I cannot get the company to fix my problem (even if I have to pay a small price for it) that is when business (Dell) is being managed badly. In that case, it is necessary to it is necessary to alert people of Dell’s actions. Dell has never offered to approach the part problem, recall, cost or no cost for part. They have merely finagled fiercely to secure funds for something else other than the problem at hand.

What do you think?

February 26, 2009 SIXTH Encounter

I have reviewed the case number that you posted and your system was purchased over 4 years ago and is no longer covered by the 3 year replacement policy we have in place.  You have a few options on repairing the system.  You can purchase a replacement LCD from us either from our Spare Parts department and replace the screen yourself or have a 3rd party install it for you.  Or you can purchase a replacement service option from our Out of Warranty group who can arrange for the part to be installed by one of our contract technicians.  or you can purchase the LCD from a 3rd party, such as ebay or a local computer supply company.

February 26, 2009, Response to SIXTH Encounter

Dear ____Identity Edit____,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding the LCD Vertical Line issues on my Inspiron 9200. I was not understanding why the posts were pulled, attempting to edit the content, and not realizing that the sources of the problem, (names of people spoken to, case number identifiers), needed to be pulled from the record. If you need to delete items posted today, February 26, I understand. I just need for there to be a record that it took 6 attempts to actually get the information I needed, which finally came today from you. The information from you today I found to be satisfactory. Yet, while I remain dissatisfied with Dell products and overall, the warranty, payment options for North American customer service, offshore customer service, and and offshore tech support processes, I am pleased that you made the effort to help me today. As I research articles on Dell, I continue to find support which highlights overall consumer dissatisfaction with Dell products and the decision of Dell to outsourse customer service resources. Certainly I am disgusted with the case of warranty expiration on my computer. Yet, the greater concern is that Dell is not adequately managed in addressing consumer service needs through methods of telephone communication.

Thank you,

-D-

2.2K Posts

February 26th, 2009 12:00

"I just need for there to be a record that it took 6 attempts to actually get the information I needed"

The link you provided clearly said:

"Dell is offering to replace any LCD that develops a vertical line within three years of purchase, at no charge for parts and labor."

The information was there in the link you provided... Seems like you put the link there but did not actually read it....

The same goes for the Terms of Service. You agreed to them when you signed up for the forums. But, your admitted lack of knowledge about why your posts were being deleted makes it seem like you did not even read the TOS....

Anyway... Hang around and enjoy the forums. There are people here who can help if you ever have a question....

February 28th, 2009 10:00

For those who have had their motherboards replaced here is my  story :

Two MB replacements in 6 months and still the system crashes!! Now lined up for a third MB replacement in a week of the second being installed.

August 2008 - Vertical lines issue. System halts. The usual Dell experience - fishing for a needle in the haystack and refusing to come to the point straightaway. I point the posts related to NVidia and they finally give in and send a tech who does the replace trick. Laptop back in action I am happy

Feb 2009: Fan becomes increasingly noisy and now competes with my stove exhaust fan for attention. I live with it.Machine is also very hot. I live with it. Then the vertical lines and then the system crashes. Again the standard Dell routine - and upgrades to Bios, NVidai etc. Asks me to observe. Machine is very unstable and I am asked ot reload the factory image. I take a 150 GB backup and reload the image install the drivers and update the O/S. Mahine crashes randomly. Call the support and they arrange for the tech to change my MB and Fan in 2 business days.

Tech comes does his thing, replaces the plastic parts too. Leaves in under 20 minutes. The parts are still sticking out, the Service tag is missing and the system crashes 5 minutes after he leaves.

I have no way to call the Dell guys as the Service tahg is not with me and their "Premium XPS" smartie is unable to trace my record with the number I have been given by their own Customer service line! Finally chat with them and they say they will send a tech yet again  to replace and service - when I ask what they will change now? The Dell tech does not have a clue. I hate when they put their standard oneliners - we appreciate your issues and can assure you we will do the best blah blah" He has no idea how he is going to nail my problem

So here I am left with a Sleek headturning laptop that does not turn on!

Is Dell listening ? Does Dell really care? Does Dell know understand that they are losing Customer and money because of their inefficient  support folks and substandard China quality?

Need Dell to exchange this for something that works..- this time Made in USA or maybe Made in Japan or Malaysia...

1 Message

March 5th, 2009 00:00

Ladies and gents, we have on our hands a systemic problem.  This is not about BIOS, or about the LCD - this is a motherboard design issue.  The XPS M1330 was rushed to market, and it was DELL's first attempt to grab market share from Sony VAIO and other premium notebook manufacturers.  As such, the motherboard layout and the manufacturing challenges were not fully worked out.  Over the short product cycle of the M1330 the motherboard changed a number of times, in all cases addressing the same problem: heat. 

So what about the glue holding the chip, or about the BIOS and fan speeds, ....?  All come down to the same thing - heat.  It is true that the video chip may not sit well in some machines.  It is also true that it gets too hot.  But that is all a design problem.  The M1330 is under an inch thick at the thickest point.  There is simply not enough space and material to dissipate the heat generated by a rather powerful video subsystem.  The BIOS updates were meant to address this to some extent, but in the end only one solution exists - changing the motherboard to one that is better designed to withstand and dissipate the heat.  Dell should have issued a recall to deal with this, but the bean counters probably figured the percentage of people who will be caught out by this problem is low enough for them to deal with the complaints one by one.  Also, a recall doesn't look all that good - remember what happened to Sony when they recalled millions of batteries because they blew up?

Perhaps we get lucky - our Dells go out with a whimper and not a bang.  Nevertheless, I believe there is a consumer rights issue here.  I've read a number of posts by people whose warranty expired because they did not get the extended coverage.  I am not talking about a guy with a four year old computer that does not even have the NVidia 8400 video system.  I'm referring to everyone with an M1330.  We are all sitting on timebombs.  Mine is now running fine because my motherboard was replaced.  Alongside this replacement my computer was fitted with a new heat sink and fan. 

Now some of you may know what I mena when I say that I always had problems with this computer.  Nothing major - just little crashes here and there.  Maybe I had too many applications open, or perhaps I was loading the computer with too much to do at once.  So you figure it's your fault.  Well, it's not.  Since the repair my computer is as solid as a rock.  Not one crash.  Not even a hang window.  The system works fast - faster than when new, and it doesn't feel as hot.  This is all because the heat is spread out much better now.  The heatsink is very different, and I can feel that it added a bit to the weight of my computer.  The motherboard is also of a different design. 

Of course I was luckier than some.  I have a 3-year warranty, and they Dell technician came to my home to perform all the repairs.  But the most important thing is that once I got around to calling Dell, they were good because they already knew what was wrong.  The first guy I spoke to was in India, so all I had to tell him was that I reinstalled windows and updated the BIOS and it didn't work.  That's pretty much when their expertise hits a dead end and they transfer you to someone stateside.  Once I spoke with the next person, the first thing she asked me after I told her my computer doesn't want to start was if I was getting vertical lines at startup.  My answer was yes, and her reply was to arrange for a time when the tech guy can come visit.  They know the problem.  They know the solution. 

So get out there and get yourselves those new MoBo's.  The new model of this computer is already out, so this may be your last chance to get your system overhauled with factory-fresh parts.  Once they run out all they'll be installing is refurbished stuff, and you know how well that'll serve you.

2 Posts

March 5th, 2009 00:00

if u want to echange laptop with me u r welcome

mine is vostro 1500

core 2 duo 1.4 2 gb ddr2

120 gb (5400) hard

intel xpress chipset x3100 graphics

15.4 display

and everything ur notebook have i need ur note book under warenty as mine is aso have 5 months warrenty

1 Message

March 20th, 2009 22:00

I updated the BIOS from A11 to A12 from Dell web site and now the fan is silent.

1 Message

March 28th, 2009 10:00

I just had Dell replace the main board after major heat problems followed by the screen lines of death.  I noticed something that everyone with this machine should inspect closely...

By this compact design, the heat sink is easily clogged with lint that is very hard to see.  The hot air is supposed to exhaust from the left-rear, through the plastic grill.  My first clue was that, despite the fan running at top speed, not much air seemed to be coming out or going in.  Suction is supposed to be from the bottom closest to the rear grill.  Lint goes in the bottom grill and clogs the inside of the rear grill.  Over time, the lint builds up, heat gets worse, hardware fails.  This compact computer only takes a small amount of lint to severely impede the cooling system.

I removed the bottom cover and shined a flashlight up through the fan and out the rear heat sink.  Wow...it was bad!  You realy can't see this without removing the bottom cover (3 screws on bottom and one more upper middle of plastic panel).  Chances are yours is as clogged as mine was.  I used a can of air to blow from the rear grill back through the fan while vacuuming the lint to prevent it from redepositing.

Much, much cooler!  I plan to inspect and clean this every couple of months to prevent the new Dell main board and graphics card from dying a quick death.

No Events found!