Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

A

2 Posts

January 6th, 2009 23:00

XPS M1330 gets to hot CPU speed drops

Hi!

Have a Dell XPS M1330. As you probably know they struggel with heatproblems.

I have had my motherboard changed once becuase of it died when the computer got to warm.

Now I have another problem. After the motherboardchange and bios upgrade, the computer, when it gets to hot, lowers the cpu-speed to about 1/3 of maximum. This happens all the time when watching HD-filmes or playing games, in other words, I can't watch HD-films or play games, becuase the computers gets to slow.

Is there a solution for this problem?

If now, how till Dell compensate me, becuase this is not due to hardware or software problem, this is due to bad design of the machine.

Anyone else have this problem?

2 Posts

June 2nd, 2009 18:00

Exactly the same problem (but i havnt had a replacement) Ive had the laptop for about 6 month... and ive only just noticed it doing it.. it gets EXTREMELY hot.. almost too hot to touch... and it runs VERY Slow when it does that... I have 2 gig... etc etc 1330... and 9 cell batt... any help would be nicely

5.2K Posts

June 2nd, 2009 19:00

Causes for this are:

Dirt (dust bunnies} inside the case.

Fan not working.

Heat sink not properly installed and/or improper use of the heat transfer paste/pad.

1 Message

June 21st, 2009 07:00

Hi, My XPS M1330 is also having the same problems.

Don't know how to make things better except saving to buy another one. I think if Dell dont do something, I wont go back to Dell again eventhough their support in Singapore is very good.

My Dell got the 8400 problem twice for two years (thanks for my purchase of 3 years warranty) and was replaced twice.

Right now, just after 30 mins after I turned it on, the palm rest is so hot that you wont be able to type continuosly  for 10 mins but have to lift up your hand (under air-con).

Al ready try to open up clean the dust and all. I guess it not the problem with the heat sink that was not install properly as the mainboard was just installed by their technician a few weeks ago.

Can I replace the fan with another one with higher RPM/air flow or st? anyone can help?

Thanks a lot

June 21st, 2009 08:00

Do you have the nvidia video chipset? They are a major cause of overheating. Dell knows about the problem but is being real quiet.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 21st, 2009 09:00

The nVidia chip has nothing to do with overheating - in fact the problem with the chip is that it fails from thermal cycling (heating-cooldown) cycles, and is not the cause of overheating.

Common causes of overheating are as above, plus the worst offender:  using the system in your lap or on a soft surface, which blocks the cooling intake and leads to a buildup of dust on the heatsink.

June 21st, 2009 09:00

Additonally, it will also wear out your cooling fan prematurely, they are not meant to run all the time...

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 21st, 2009 10:00

The problem is that you're looking for the answer YOU want, not the truth.

The BIOS update is designed to prevent temperature SWINGS, which are the source of the chip failure.  Yes, it does run the fan more - but it doesn't run the fan at top speed all the time, unless something else is wrong.  The nVidia problems DO NOT stem from overheating - it is THERMAL CYCLING that is the problem, and yes, running the fans more will reduce battery life somewhat.  It's a band-aid fix that doesn't solve the root cause of the problem.  The real solution of course is to replace all the chips - which would rapidly bankrupt nVidia, since there are millions of them. 

As for the other post, you purchased the system from somewhere other than Dell and at auction.  Your recourse is with the seller, not with Dell.  The Dell warranty begins on the day Dell ships the system to the ORIGINAL buyer - which was not you, but rather an auction site or Sam's club - either way, contact them - your issue is with the seller, not with Dell.

This is one of the better descriptions of what's wrong with these chips:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1050052/nvidia-chips-show-underfill-problems

June 21st, 2009 13:00

The answer in simple and laymans terms is the computer overheats and shuts down, especially if you our running graphic intensive programs, like any current pc game!

The warranty issue is with Dell and the reseller. Dell contiued to use the chips even though they knew they would fail. You can get real techinical as the attached article did but the bottom line is the chip loses its integrity from the high tempatures. I can only run my computer for maybe 2 or three hours and the screen goes black and shuts down. The bottom line is Dell put out a product that is defective. I don't care if nvidia goes bankrupt, they should for putting a defective product on the market.

http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2008/09/12/nvidia-gpu-update-limited-warranty-enhancement-details.aspx

Here is good link the problem already posted on this site.

Not looking to for a fight, but if you bought a laptop and in less than 4 months it keeps dying, it was advertised with a 1 year warranty, and now you find out you allegedly have no warranty and the manufactuer knew the product was defective but still contiued to sell it... you get my point don't you?

The minute Dell knew those chips were bad they should have pulled them.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 21st, 2009 14:00

The problem is that it basically would have removed over half the notebooks available worldwide to do so - the problem is nVidia's, not Dell's.  It applies to every Sony, HP/Compaq, Toshiba, Apple, ASUS, Acer/Gateway/eMachines, Lenovo -- EVERY notebook shipped with these chips.

nVidia has assured OEM/ODM and resellers that the chips were fixed some time ago, so your premise that they're being replaced with faulty chips, as far as we know, is false.

Had I purchased the system from Dell and been denied warranty service, I'd be angry.  Your other posts indicate you did not do that - you purchased from another vendor and indicated that the Dell site showed your service tag with an expired warranty.  It is the company/person you purchased from who represented the system as having a 1-year warranty, and that was apparently NOT Dell.  So, your beef is with that company - not Dell.

June 21st, 2009 18:00

All the articles and blogs I have read indicate that not only Dell, but the other major computer manufactuers are still using the same chip set. Just because it effect millions of computer is no justification for ripping off the consumers. Example, if Ford Motor Compnay discovered that the tires they were putting on some vehicle were prone to blowing out at hihway speeds, Ford and the tire company would be responsible for any liability... So no Dell is not totally culpable but that does not let them off the hook. Like I said I am not wanting to argue jsut making my point as a long, long time Dell customer( 11 systems currently) that I do not like the lack of action on the chips. When the battery problem was made public Dell did the right thing and recalled them and replaced the defective batteries.

Last time on the warranty, i have bought from retail stores(staples, walmart). After my purchase I always logged on my account and registered my computer and recieved the appropriate warranty. You are missing my point, someone listed the wrong year for my purchase, they listed 2008 instead of 2009. All XPS (which is the top line for Dell) recieve at least a one year warranty. I wasted two days and mutliple time on my cell trying to explain that to customer service, who all initially said they would correct the problem. The last tech was jsut downright rude. Just because I purchase retail I still expect the same qualitly and service form Dell. I will be contacting Sams Club with receipt in hand for my January 2009 purchase. If you still insit that buying from a authorized Dell retail outlet soemhow voids any warrany please show me anywhere it syas that...I will then gladly shutup and apologize.

I am curiious why you did not tell me about the bad chip set when I said my new XPS was shutting down and getting extremely hot? I had to search and find those links on  my own, and you seem to do a lot of posting on these fourms to not be familiar with this nvidia issue as a possinble cause of overheating and shutdown.  Just today we played WOW for a little under 2 hours when the screen froze and then went black...I bought the XPS becasue it is Dell's top line.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 21st, 2009 18:00

As far as I know, there's nothing wrong with the chipset in the XPS M1530 - the Intel 865 PM/GM is used in most notebooks of this class.  Where did you see that it is known to be faulty?

Or are you referring to the nVidia video chip?

June 22nd, 2009 07:00

THIS XPS  has the nVidia chip set.

Non-issue now, Sams Club has agreed to take the laptop back and return my money. They will now undoublty send it back to Dell has a defective unit...so stupid. All Dell had to do was honor the warranty and fix the overheating problem. Now they get a bad unit back and I am not so sure the replacement purchase will be a Dell.

I currently use a Dell Inspiron E1705e which is going on 4 years and no problems. I play WOW with my son, the XPS 1530 was to be is computer to play WOW with me. It is pretty sad that my old laptop out performs the supposedly top line series.

But even with all the hassle I will probably buy a Dell again, just not any XPS model. I notice they have phased out the XPS 1530 and you can't buy one unless it's Pink!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 22nd, 2009 20:00

Neither the XPS 1530 nor the 1330 use an nVidia chipset - the chipset on both is Intel.  Both have the option of an nVidia VIDEO chip, but that's not the chipset.

The ONLY Dell notebooks that use/used something other than an INtel chipset are the AMD-based models, and one other - the Inspiron 1000, which used a SiS chipset.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 23rd, 2009 07:00

If you're going to be angry and post, at least be correct about it.  The nVidia chip is NOT the source of overheating, nor is it known to overheat.  It fails because of thermal cycling and improper manufacture. 

I'm not sure what a "mute" point is - perhaps you mean "moot" point.

As for your last comment, you assume too much.

Again, it's fine to post informatively - but at least be sure that when you post in a negative fashion, that you're posting correctly - and in correct terms.  When you post falsehoods, as you have, it simply weakens your argument to the point where it becomes, indeed, moot.

June 23rd, 2009 07:00

If you want to play with semantics your not fooling anyone. It's the video chip nvidia. It overheats. My XPS has one and it shuts down after a couple of hours. Mute point, its going back and I won't buy another one.

You should read this  link, but I think has a Dell employee you already have...

http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2008/09/12/nvidia-gpu-update-limited-warranty-enhancement-details.aspx

No Events found!