8 Xenon

Re: XPS M1530 - Died & Won't Revive

In-warranty support (US)

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/by_phone_DHS

Out of warranty, there is a $49 charge per call:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/expired_warranty?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

0 Kudos
GoldenFlash
1 Copper

I understand this, but why exactly do I have to pay $49 just for someone to tell me where to ship my computer to have it repaired. The thing won't start and no one on a $49 support call is going to be able to get it working. I just want to send the thing in and have it repaired. I fully expect that the repairs will most likely cost me half the purchase price and I accept this. I take it from your response, I have to pay the $49 gouging fee just for someone to issue a RMA. Is this correct? Thanks for your time in responding btw.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
broshiggie
1 Copper

mine died as well, warranty expired 3.5 months ago.  i was using Windows 7 RC against my original bios A04 without a problem.  I am also using a 3rd party ac adapter since I lost my original.  When i installed Windows 7 RTM and the Windows 7/Vista drivers, I updated my bios to A12.  This is when I encountered this issue of the motherboard not detecting an AC Adapter.

I bought a spare battery (Again 3rd party, can't justify paying 2x as much for an OEM product) and plugged it in.  Again, AC Adapter refuses to charge the battery.

I found A09 which is what I am trying to flash it back to.  Unfortunately, I cannot flash because the flash utility does a check for an AC Adapter.  I even put it on a DOS boot disk, and the DOS BIOS flasher does the same AC Adapter check.

Is there *any* way to bypass this AC Adapter check?  Is there any way to force a flash of the older BIOS?  Or reset the BIOS using some type of hardware switch?

0 Kudos
IvoH
1 Copper

Same story for me....18 months old M1530 plugged into the adapter stopped working from one moment to another. Also the adapter light goes out when plugging it into the laptop. Reading this forum it is problebly the mainbord or the videocard...Is there anyway how can I be sure of what the issue is without sending it to Dell?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Xenon

If the LED on the adaptor goes out on connection to the system, the mainboard is bad.

0 Kudos
GoldenFlash
1 Copper

Unfortunately for me, the power light still was illuminated on my power supply. I decided rather than pay Dell to tell me where to ship it, and then charge me to fix it, I would take a chance and do it myself. In my case, it was the main board. I replaced it and now I'm back up and running; hopefully permanently. I suppose for the not-so-tech savvy, you might take your computer to a local computer shop. However, they will most likely charge you to diagnose the problem like Dell will, so either way you get taken. Anyway, Dell is pretty helpful in that they provide you with the Service Manual on their website, so all the instructions for dissasembly of your M1530 are there. The only other thing you need is the part # off your main board, which unfortunately you must physically get off the board in your machine. That is the only way to be sure to get the correct replacement board. Not sure about compatibility with newer boards. Mine ran about $250 and was a refurb. Anyway, good luck.

0 Kudos
charles_at_dtc
1 Copper

I finally made progress with my faulty XPS M1530.

Problem:

M1530 died suddenly, no power on plug-in adapter, it kills the AC adapter green light. If unplug AC-Adapter, it resets itself is ok again.

So the most possible problem is fried motherboard.

Solution:

1. I went on a bid a new M1530 Motherboard for ~$105 on ebay, it arrived in a weeks with 7day return policy.

2. Instructions for taking apart, this is a good link:  http://ahwee.com/how-to-disassemble-laptop-dell-xps-m1530

3. Personal note:

Use 3M masking tape to carefully tape and note all the screws.

Use a digital camera to take all the steps and details.

4. It took me about 5 hours to take apart and put things back. But it did not work when power up, the LCD is dark.

5. Worked with a hard core computer buddy, spend another 3 hours and figured out that the Memory is not fully plugged in. (* yes, the lock works even if you don't plug the memory fully in !).

6. Now it works.

7. Now I set up my heater very low and is buying a laptop cooler. (thanks Dell for making me green).

8. Next thing is to get rid of Vista.

Hope this help.

Charles. ;-

0 Kudos

I also have a M1530 that died just 20 days out of warranty. Power cut off, powered back up ran for about 5 mins, then shut off again and now nothing. I see your post that says if LED on adaptor goes out the mainboard is bad. Well, my power light on the adapter stays on, so does that mean it's not the mainboard? I think it's pretty sad that so many people are having the same problem just after the warranty runs out, especially just a few days after. I have always sang the praises of Dell, this is my 3rd Dell computer. But after this, I'm not so sure anymore. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

I have a xps M1530 it was working fine up to jan. 15 And next week all on a sudden it stops working .I tride all I can but failed What I can do to start it again.

0 Kudos