Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

November 28th, 2013 08:00

XPS M1530 - screen remains black

I own a Dell XPS M1530 laptop. For the past month, when the computer is turned on, the screen would remain black. The computer, however, works when attached to a secondary monitor. The backlight is working fine, considering the monitor will occasionally work, but then stop working when the computer is restarted.

I managed to fix it once by making sure the LCD cable was secure, but the problem has returned. As mentioned earlier, the problem has (2-3 times) happened after powering down the computer, whereas before the computer was powered down, it would work normally.

My thoughts are that I either have a defective LCD cable or video card. What do you think?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Was the LCD replaced at any point?

I should also add that upon performing the diagnostics test, I receive the Error Code 2000-0321 (LCD EDID - unable to access EDID EEPROM)

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 28th, 2013 09:00

It's likely it's the screen - but nVidia screwed up the engineering of these video chips, so there's an outside chance it's the video chip (meaning you'd need a mainboard).  It may be worth trying a new LCD, since they're not that expensive - if that doesn't fix it, it's not worth replacing the mainboard in this system.  They're all faulty - all of these nVidia chips - and another mainboard will simply fail again in the future.

November 28th, 2013 09:00

No, it had not been replaced.

No Events found!