Avazee
1 Nickel

XPS M1530 - short loud whining/screeching noise - help!

I bought my XPS M1530 about 9 months ago and was noticing from the first few months that every day or every other day the laptop makes a loud screeching/whining noise (for about 1-2 seconds). It just happens once for the whole day, and then when I use the laptop again the day after or whatnot, it makes the same sound again (just once for the whole day, as before).

It sounds like it is coming out of the lower left area (when the laptop is open). I haven't noticed any issues with the HD or system or anything when it makes that noise, everything (from what I see and can tell) is functioning fine. But it still makes me worry.

Is that where the Hard Drive is? it sounds like it as I hear an occasion HD clicking noise from that same area too.

Has anyone experienced this, or can anyone shed some light on what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
gaston909
1 Copper

Re: XPS M1530 - short loud whining/screeching noise - help!

I have had my Dell XPS M1530 For Approx 16 Months. It had been fine the whole time until recentley. The problem started about a week after I had an engineer out. I didnt have anything majour done, just a replacement webcam, but he did take totally to bits... pretty much.

Anyway A week after that and it has started whining... it started off subtly but now it is quite bad and it is really starting to annoy me. 

I have heard loads of theories from a failing power unit, the cpu and even the hard disk but have no idea what it is or what to do about it!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
JTalley53
1 Nickel

Re: XPS M1530 - short loud whining/screeching noise - help!

I have been experiencing the same thing. That is actually where the fan is I think. I keep getting clicking noises from the fan, and when I apply some pressure with my hand to the cover, the noise stops. But in the winter, I had the same noise, and I thought it was just because the system was cold, because the noise stopped when the weather got warmer. But now it is extremely loud, as if the fan has something stuck in it. I have blown in it, and taken the cover off with no success of finding the problem. If anyone knows what could be going on or how to fix it, let us know. I personally think the fan is hitting the casing that surrounds it, and it is a hardware problem that will need replacing. But I know how the fan and GPUs go in these dang 1530s, I really think that there is no fixing it than just buying a new laptop.

0 Kudos