Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

5 Posts

June 4th, 2008 01:00

XPS M170 Display Issue

Hi,

My laptop diplay has started to distort-many rows of multicolored blocks across the screen.

Can anyone help me with this?

I deleted the Graphic Card driver and installed latest driver from Nvidia and used system restore-no help.

CPU:2.00GHZ RAM:2GB Graphic Card-Nvidia Geforce GO 7800 GPX

Thank you     

gregmy123 

4.6K Posts

June 4th, 2008 02:00

Welcome to the forums :smileyhappy:

That sounds like a problem with the graphics card... but I'd suggest you run the diagnostics tests (F12/Fn at startup), to see if you can get confirmation?

BTW: What's with the weird choice of font? It's not nearly as easy to read as this forum default?

5 Posts

June 4th, 2008 14:00

Hi

I will run the diagnostic. the distortions show up on a secondary monitor so it most likely is Graphics Card? By the way can I use a second monitor while in Safe Mode? 

Sorry about the font! I was messing around with Arial Black.

Thank you!

Gregmy123 

4.6K Posts

June 5th, 2008 04:00

@gregmy123 wrote:

the distortions show up on a secondary monitor so it most likely is Graphics Card?

That would almost certainly confirm it is a graphics card problem, unfortunately :(

Is the laptop still under warranty?  Even if it is... you should still run the diagnostics tests.

But whether the results suggest there's nothing wrong with the hardware - or not... I'd be contacting Dell tech support anyway, and advising them of the problem.

You can't be expected to put up with a problem like that, when the laptop is still under warranty. 

5 Posts

June 5th, 2008 12:00

Hello,

Not under warranty, darn it. I ran complete diagnostic and the video memory failed test.

So I will contact Dell and see if I can order the graphics card and install myself.

Thank you!

gregmy123 

No Events found!