Re: XPS M1710 -- Video card problems ... AGAIN

I just tried this and it worked great.

I baked my card to a crispy perfection.

I am so impressed!

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Ok guys, hear me out... I never ever take my time to create accounts and write on forums but this time i had to cause of this. I called Dell cause my XPS m1710 had bars all over the screen and the blue screen of death always showed up after it windows loaded.   they told me my video card had died and it would cost me 550 to get a new one. So i started searching the internet a noticed alot of people had the same problem . Then i noticed this forum and saw this post which i thought i was weird and that it wouldnt work. But i told my self the Video Card is already useless so what do i have to loose. So i did exactly as he said in this post and my Dell XPS M1710 is  alive and running again. It doesnt show the horizontal bars that showed when i turned my comp on and it hasnt showed me blue screen. So to sum it all, this really works. This aint no fake or crazy procedure , it DOES REALLY WORK!. Dont sell your laptop nor buy a new Graphic Card just put in the oven. I am so happy right now 🙂

0 Kudos
10 Diamond

It's a temporary fix at best.  The card may work for a while but will fail again.

Though nVidia never admitted it, the fact that the ATI cards for this series of systems works fine points the finger toward the nVidia chip.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

It's a temporary fix at best.  The card may work for a while but will fail again.

Though nVidia never admitted it, the fact that the ATI cards for this series of systems works fine points the finger toward the nVidia chip.

If it's temporary, then it has been so for 6 months to me, and the computer is on almost all the time.

0 Kudos
10 Diamond

That's probably why it's still working.  The problem comes with repeated heatup-cooldown cycles.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I really dont care if its temporerally as long as i can squeeze some more use time from the computer thats ok for me. I wasnt planning on fixing the old graphic card(was gonna buy a new one). ill let you guys know when the Card dies again on me.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

It works!!!   Thank you Srenna7!

I call it the shake and bake!  Invite your friend over for a couple drinks and have a barbeque!  Next thing you know is that your video card is fixed!

Do not forget to get yourself some silver thermal compound made by Antec.  I found it at Staples for $10.  Read their instructions before the shake and bake to learn how to get the old compound off the chip and heatsink.

good luck

btw.... ATI is coming out with an external video card called the XGP that would fix the problem should you forget to pull the card out of the oven( unfortunately you laptop will become a desktop)

0 Kudos

fyi, I had originally posted this comment approx. 3 weeks or so ago but it was again deleted for some reason. Apparently the common everyday word I used to describe the action of a vacuum is somehow unacceptable here according to a Dell "moderator" ... so I will try again.

I just re-installed my freshly repaired 7950 GTX in my XPS M1710 and everything is working perfectly again ... woo hoo! Needless to say I am very happy with the guys at CADis Ltd who repaired my GPU … at a reasonable price and with quick turnaround. No thanks to Dell, my $3000 notebook is back up and running and no longer just collecting dust as a useless paper-weight. You can find CADis Ltd on EBay with a search for "Nvidia 7950 Repair" if interested. They also repair other models so their ad says. I've only had my repaired card running for a few (5) days so far so I can't offer much of a “review” except that it actually works again and their customer service was exceptional. I only wish I had found them sooner so I could have saved countless hours trying to figure out what to do with this re-occuring mess after Dell kicked me to the curb. 

Ok, I installed i8kfanGUI v3.1 and CPUID HWMonitor v1.14 to try keep a handle on the temps and monitor the fans behaviour from now on even though I don't feel it should be necessary as I never use this “high end gaming machine” for any gaming or the like ... obviously there is a serious design problem that allows this machine to kill itself even at a dead idle. Who woulda thunk it.

I've adjusted the i8kfanGUI GPU temperature reading so it matches HW Monitor by adding 8*C … the CPU temps match exactly between the 2 programs. I don't know what the normal or optimal operating temp of this GPU actually is but my fans normally do not even kick on Low speed until the GPU core reaches 80*C and then shut off completely in about 45 seconds after the GPU is cooled to 70*C. I don’t understand why the fans do not run at Low speed sooner or more often to keep the GPU cooler. I’ve flashed the BIOS to A07 which I heard accomplished this but apparently not … so the GPU is constantly hovering between 70 and 80*C. That’s the way Dell has it set up. Is this really the optimal temp zone for this 7950 GTX and the M1710 to run in? Would it not last longer running cooler? You can’t even hear the fans running at Low speed so noise is certainly not a factor … so why does Dell force this machine to run so hot?

The CPU cores, at the same time, hover between 40 & 50*C with a 1 or 2 degree variance between the 2 cores.

With i8kfanGUI I can force the fans to High speed and that works extremely well at cooling things down real fast but is completely unnecessary full time. Btw, selecting “Show Temperatures Only” after running the fans at High speed does not turn the fans back off as it should … not sure what’s going on there yet … appears to be a bug of some sort so be prepared.

The “Manual Fan Control” works great for running the fans on Low speed full-time or any other combination of Off/Low/High for each fan. Using this method (full-time Low speed on both fans) keeps my CPU around 38*C and the GPU around 50*C with an average CPU load around 25%.

The “Automatic Temperature Control” works really well also … I can keep my GPU temp hovering between 50 to 65*C with the fans set to kick in on Low speed although the fans may live a longer life if just left running on Low full-time instead of kicking on & off every few minutes … idk. Either way, I would think this is much better than the Dell stock setting of 80*C.

Oh, and a heads-up … if you check the box for “Enable Hardware Sensor Support” within the “Automatic Temperature Control” or “Direct Fan Control” control panels, your new fans settings will NOT work on the M1710 so leave that unchecked and all will function as it should. A great program as far as I can see so far that should hopefully help extend the life of my M1710. It’s too bad it doesn’t employ an alarm that sounds off when a max temp is surpassed (say if/when your fans fail to respond) … then it would be perfect. At least you can show the temps and fan speeds in the notification area in the taskbar so you can keep an eye on the most critical readings.

Now that I have installed reliable temperature monitoring software and possess some proper fan control, removal of accumulated dust becomes the next absolute top priority. This task, to do it thoroughly, is a bigger job than I was previously aware. Manually running the fans on High routinely, now that I have that capability, may help keep the dust from building up so quickly but the ONLY way to ensure there is no dust build-up after a few months of use is to completely disassemble the machine and actually remove the fans and/or heatsinks. This is actually quite a simple process once you’ve done it once. I had always assumed I was doing a decent job of keeping the dust bunnies at bay in my machine so I was shocked at the amount of dust I found actually packed inside near the fans. I could always feel the fans blowing air out through the vents but after seeing all the dust packed in there they obviously weren't working very efficiently. Not having an easily removable hatch or cover to enable routine dust removal on these notebooks is another serious design flaw that needs rectifying … either that or Dell needs to inform its potential customers that complete disassembly will be required to perform such routine maintenance. Many are afraid to open up their notebooks in fear of voiding their warranty so I feel there is a problem here. I wonder how many fewer GPU, fan, heat sink and motherboard warranty claims there might be if only it were much easier for the average user to clean the dust out of these things. Like me, many likely assume they are doing an acceptable job by vacuuming and using moderate air pressure to try remove the dust on a regular basis but trust me it's not enough … every few months you should break open the case so you can get direct access to the fans and heat sink fins. The worst accumulation of dust I found was under the Mylar flaps between the fans and the fins at the end of the copper heat sink tubes and even with the top cover removed you still cannot see or get at all the compacted dust in this area. There are only a couple screws holding the fans in place and a couple plugs to disconnect ... you'll be glad you did it.  

Anyhow, hopefully by taking the time to share my experience I can possibly help someone else avoid similar over-heating failures. Apparently the 7950 GTX and a few other specific NVIDIA video cards are defective right out of the box and are destined to fail eventually regardless of the precautions taken.  CADis Ltd claims their engineers have a found a “permanent fix” that corrects these defects and is part of their repair … so as long as I manage to keep the dust bunnies at bay and ensure my fans are functioning properly, my third 7950 GTX should now live a little longer life. Time will tell … here’s hoping eh!

One thing for certain, cooking your $800 video card in the oven to try reflow the solder is not the best solution. At best it is a short-term “fix” that may render your card unrepairable after it ultimately fails again shortly thereafter. For about $180 CADis will repair your card professionally and that includes shipping back to you. You also get a 30 day warranty. Why would you pay more for another refurbished card ... idk?

Either way, good luck whatever you decide the next time your card fails prematurely. At least now we have an option besides dealing with the exact same over-priced refurbished parts from Dell.

Without todays internet my 7950 GTX would no doubt be in the garbage or at least been fried again in no time due to the lack of support from Dell on this issue. Many thanks to all the people out there providing all this much needed software, info and support to all of us for FREE! It is a shame that i8kfanGUI is no longer being supported or updated. It is an excellent program that should come stock on every high performance notebook imho.  

Good luck

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

I've been having this problem for months. Once I uninstall the driver, it's fine, but the bars/video problems are all still there. Since my warranty's out and video cards cost an arm and a leg, I decided to give the oven thing a shot. It REALLY worked. It's only been an hour, but I'm so incredibly excited. I have tried everything, and this was my answer. I'm on my computer all day, so I need it working at it's best. Thanks for the tip, and I hope that you can get yours fixed. If you have any questions about how I did it, please reply to this and I'd be glad to help. 

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Product defect - Graphics card failed damaged memory due to overheating. This is the 3rd Graphics card replacement. Currently there are artifacts and green lines on the screen when the system boots. At the moment the laptop is just a paper weight. Haven’t had the money to purchase another card and not quite sure whether or not it’s worth purchasing another graphics card for the same thing to happen... I would like the card replaced free of charge. If this cannot be done, i will be taking the matter to Consumer Affairs. Also note this is not a one off problem there are users all over the world experiencing the same problem (I have a list of users so far - Click here for list). Graphics cards failing due to overheating problems.

If you're experincing the same issues, please sign the p3t1t0n here

Thanks,

Shane

0 Kudos