Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

12 Posts

February 6th, 2009 12:00

XPS M1710 and Windows 7

Anyone else notice that the fan constantly runs?  I just installed Windows 7 beta today, and the fan has yet to turn off.  Windows 7 found everything except the video and Ricoh drivers.  Everything else is running fine, just the fan is running and the bottom, near where the docking station station goes, I guess, is extremely hot.  I've been running XP SP3 for a while, and don't remember it ever getting this hot.  Any suggesions?

5 Posts

November 9th, 2009 01:00

... it is in the BIOS. You can turn On or OFF the LEDs effects also from the BIOS. please note that i updated the BIOS of my laptop long ago so i think i have the A...06 version i think... i'm sure it ends with a "6"

I remember it said that there are 3 options: 1.Let the system handle it   2.Use it in high power   3.Something else....  

IT DOES NOT LET YOU FULLY CONTROL THE FREQUENCY OF HE FAN'S SPEED.

It is better to set it to the default factory settings. I don't want to experiment with the BIOS. Try setting the default settings.

Is it dusty inside the fans??? By the way try to spray the fans with compressed air (canned air). FOLLOW ANY GIVEN INSTRUCTIONS.

I don't know what else to advice you...

Your problem seems a bit weird. Fans do make some noise (they are not completely silent) but if they make a lot of noise then take it for a service. 

I hope this helps, if not... take it for a service.

5 Posts

November 9th, 2009 01:00

let Win7 find the drivers online. IF NOTHING FOUND, use your laptops manufacturer site DRIVERS FOR VISTA. I read somewhere that Win7 accepts Vista drivers if none are found for Win7.

BEST CHOISE: USE WINDOWS UPDATE!!! It found all the drivers for my laptop. Afterwards install the NVIDIA driver from the NVidia site that has under your graphics card - Your Graphic card might be different, but don't worry, the installation will tell you if the driver is the correct one when you try to install it.

...also IN CASE YOU CANNOT USE WINDOWS UPDATE... Use Driver magician program which backups all drivers from your laptop (or a similar laptop that has e.g. Win7) and can be used again to install those drivers on your laptop. Please note i've never used it so i don't know much about it (only read about it somewhere i can't remember).

7 Posts

November 9th, 2009 09:00

Mine in fact is E1705,but I write bios from M1710 (I loose wired network since then but I use wireles,never wired, so no problem), I can see in bios settings for lights but nothing related to fan control.

Since boards are almost identical,except lights,docking,and network I think i can have these control of fans too,but nothing in bios related to fan.

Fans are clean,problem is they stay off until ~ 60 Celsius then start  and I preffer and is more desired to stay in constant temperature for any components not just laptops.

Right now with Dell default settings temperature is bouncing ~20 gr

- fan off (~60 gr Ceslius) fan on (~40 gr Celsius) fan off fan on ..................

60        60      60

40       40       40       40 ...............

Hope you can understand what I want to say.

This kind of thermal variation is not good for any electronic device in time appear some problem.

10 Posts

November 11th, 2009 14:00

Well, I must have the weakest system around. I have an XPS M1710 with T5600 CPU, 3 Gig RAM and the GeForce GO 7950 GTX. My system runs great on W7, I have not seen any of the issues other than the usual hight temps. Dell views the M1710 as a legacy product. However I still have 1 more year on my warranty. I just think its a shame that they are not supporting the laptop that brought the company so far. Sad, Sad, Sad...

1 Message

November 14th, 2009 07:00

I expect your case is just full of fluff - have you vacuumed it recently? Mind you, the XPS 1710 seems to cook graphics cards remarkably easily - I'm now on my 4th one, and the last one failed only a few days after i took the case apart and cleaned everything. I now use the excellent I8kfabGUI software to monitor the temperature on mine (http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html), and stand it on a cooling pad all the time. The cooling pad fans are much quieter than the laptop ones too, making working with it more pleasant.

7 Posts

November 15th, 2009 00:00

Not just vacuumed,take parts apart and clean them.I use same I8kfangui.My video card is X1400 and some time ago was dead but I solved resoldering some pins of pci-e connector which was desoldered.

7 Posts

November 19th, 2009 13:00

On the video card.Now works fine.

9 Posts

November 19th, 2009 13:00

gabiz, did you mean you re-soldered the pci-e pins on the video card or on the system board socket? I assume you mean the video card but now curious ...

thanks

11 Posts

December 20th, 2009 04:00

hello

1 Message

January 1st, 2010 23:00

EXACTLY this happened to my M1710 with a Geforce Go 7900GTX.

I had been running windows 7 nicely for almost a month, but the laptop felt a bit hot so I bought a cooling pad.

No dust inside the laptop.

Now I wish I could find a new video adapter so I dont have to trash the entire laptop...

48 Posts

May 24th, 2010 11:00

XPS M1710 Black
2.0 Dual core
Nvidia Geforce 7950GTX 512MB
2GB 667 DDR2 Ram
106GB SATA 7200 HD Windows 7 Ultimate
1920x1200 Truelife Display

I use mine for video editing, not much for gaming anymore since I have three different consoles that keep me well satisfied. Watching movies.. although ever since I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate, everything runs excellent and the speed is great too... the only issue that I've been having is that the internal DVD-RW which is a PIONEER DVD-/+RW DR-K17Y ATA Set for Region 1 (United States) doesn't read DVD's but reads CD-R's, I suspect a codec issue, I have an external DVD drive which is a SONY DVD RW DW-Q30A USB Device and it Plays, reads, burns, single and double layer discs just fine.

Media Direct has never been deleted, runs fines as well except for the internal DVD-RW drive.

D: Virtual Drive (Magic ISO)
E: PIONEER DVD-/+RW DR-K17Y ATA Set for Region 1 (United States)
F: SONY DVD RW DW-Q30A USB Device EXTERNAL DRIVE

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Message

August 24th, 2010 09:00

I GOT IT WORKING, IT'S SOLVED!

THE SOLUTION IN A NUTSHELL:

- Get 179.48 and Force Install a similar display driver (Go 7950 GTX)
- Get 175.32 and Reverse Install with this older driver & trick the computer to install the proper display driver (back to Go 7900 GTX)

The Steps (these are the steps i went through, so some may not be necessary - who knows)

1) get the Nvidia's latest driver which is 179.48 > unpack it (it would go straight to install and probably tell you it cant find the driver for your hardware

b/c windows falsely installed Quadro driver instead - no worry)

2) if you have the Quadro 510m driver or whatever (which Windows 7 falsely recognize) go ahead an uninstall it from your device manager & reboot

3) once rebooted go back to your device manager and under your display adapter it should say something like a 'Standard VGA display adapter' > right click & select 'Update driver software...'

***there will be several pop-up windows in the following steps***

4) first pop-up window will come up, do what i would call a 'Force Install' by choosing 'Browse my computer for driver software' (the 2nd option)

5) another pop-up window will appear, this time instead of browse for driver software, > go with the 2nd option again 'Let me pick from a list of device driver on my computer'

6) in the next pop-up window press the button 'Have Disk...' > now locate the 179.48 you unpacked earlier (it's probably in C:/NVIDIA/WinVista/IS/Display). Now you should see a bunch .INF files, i selected the top one NVAA and went with it.

7) now back to the 'Have Disk...' pop-up window you should see an entire list of video cards BUT YOU WONT SEE GeForce Go 7900 GTX (ARGH!), no worry > Select GeForce Go 7950 GTX and confirm to install then reboot.

8) Once you rebooted verify that you indeed have a GeForce Go 7950 GTX driver installed.

9) Now the easy part. Go back to Nvidia.com to their driver download page. instead click the 'beta and archived drivers' at the bottom of the page & search for GeForce Go 7900 GTX for VISTA, again VISTA (you should see one of the available drivers is 175.32 Download it & then unpack)

10) this time the driver will go into automatic install again after unpacking but this time the installation should process without trouble and once you finish installing & reboot and you should have a GeForce Go 7900 GTX installed! Congrats!

sidenote*** windows 7 is really smart, before when it was all messed up windows 7 will always do auto-update then falsely install the Quadro driver but after going through these steps it now lists the Quadro driver under 'optional' instead of 'important' that surely take the worry out of me. :)

Nvidia seems to drop the ball on this one and left out GeForce Go 7900 GTX in its driver so windows 7 picks it up as a Quadro 510m because the specs on the Go 7900 GTX and Quadro 510m seems to be the same.

good luck and enjoy your Windows 7 :)

b

1 Message

June 6th, 2013 22:00

cook your gpu in an oven at 350 for about 10 mins that will redo the saughter and it will work again i also have the same problem with windows 7 on my xps m1710 ive done the baking about 4 times now  best advice too is get a good cooling pad ever since then i havent done it again

48 Posts

February 17th, 2016 18:00

I know this is an old thread, so I thought just in case anyone is interested... Windows 10 is great on our old notebook.. only issue I'm trying to solve is the appropriate sound driver that includes our built in subwoofer.

48 Posts

February 17th, 2016 19:00

Also an update is the Sigmatel Driver works with Windows 10 through the compatibility with Windows 7.

Oh I also updated the Bios to A07. Hope that helps with anyone out there who still loves their M1710.

Here is the transcript with the help of another member:

JDM4Life
I can't seem to get any of the drivers to work but has sound

Look in Device Manager under Sound...Controllers. If it says "High Definition Audio Device" then the laptop is using the Windows native audio driver, which is okay but lacks some features of the vendor's driver. The vendor, Sigmatel, went out of business before Win7, so the latest driver available for you is the Vista version, Sigmatel R171788. Try to install it using compatibility mode.

1. Download and save the audio driver to your desktop or any convenient location on the hard drive..
2. Double click on the new folder to extract (unzip) the driver files.
3. The extractor wizard will create a new folder for the driver files. It will be at "c:\dell\drivers\xxxxxx". Write down the exact location that the wizard creates.
4. If the driver begins to install automatically, halt (cancel) the installation.
5. Browse to the driver files on the hard drive (the location you wrote down).
6. Find the "setup.exe" file.
7. Right click on setup.exe to open the context menu.
8. Select the Properties.
9. Select the Compatibility tab.
10. Check the box "run this program in compatibility mode for"... Vista.

Note: I don't think that driver had stereo mix, so if that is something you are used to having then try to install the  Sigmatel R171789 driver using compatibility mode for XP.

Avoid installing any of the Creative Labs Audigy software that was available for your laptop before you successfully install a Sigmatel driver because doing so could create a difficult problem with the Windows audio service.

No Events found!