Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

K

2 Posts

November 30th, 2007 03:00

XPS M1730 Problem (Power cuts out when cord moved)

Hi All, I have just currently purchased a XPS M1730 Laptop and the minute I plugged in the power into the back I notice that the power would cut off when the cord was moved, I had a Tech guy come over the next day and replace the motherboard but the same problem occurred. I received a replacement XPS M1730 and once again the same problem. I was wondering If anyone else has had the same problem with their XPS M1730 or if its just bad luck I'm having. Thanks

216 Posts

November 30th, 2007 10:00

Hi,
If it is still doing it with a new one maybe there is something wrong with the power wheer you are, maybe try using it somewhere else like work or a frends place ect.
Nick

2 Posts

Hi, Its not my power supply in the house but I think its a design fault with the XPS M1730 motherboard and socket of the power cord,When the Techy guy came around he tried a brand new power cord with the same results. I was just wondering if anyone else was having the same problem

216 Posts

HI,
Sorry no i have never heard of this before.
Cheers

5 Posts

December 7th, 2007 09:00

Yep I had the same issue!.. If I moved the power cable the power cut out..
Dell replaced the motherboard in my machine and the problem has gone! The problem was the power socket on the notebook.

I would suggest you call Dell to organise a replacement..

1 Message

December 31st, 2007 03:00

I ordered the Dell XPS M1730 in November - it arrived and I immediately had the exact same problem with the power cord. I contacted Dell and they shipped me a new notebook out. Of course you have to again wait the 7 to 10 days for it to be built and shipped. I received the 2nd notebook and it had the same problem!  I called tech support back and they sent a tech out to replace the motherboard AND power cord - STILL has the same problem!  That's when tech support went totally down the tube. I was working with a senior supervisor - Alan and he was going to call me back after the tech installed the motherboard - I left him numerous messages and he never returned my call. I spent over 5 hours on the phone the next day being transfered over and over to different departments until I finally had enough and demanded a supervisor. Against my better judgement - yet again - they are shipping me yet another new notebook to replace the defective one. After 24 hours and my new return had not shown up on my online account yet - I contacted Dell again to find out what the hold up was. When I questioned what the problem was - the female tech became beligerent and rude - I immediately asked to speak to her supervisor and had to repeat myself 7 times before finally asking if she was refusing to allow me to speak to her supervisor. I have never had such poor tech support and I own 4 laptops and 4 desktop computers.  If this 3rd notebook is defective as well - I won't give it a 4th try - Gateway and HP offer much better customer support.

Oh and when I told the tech support people the problem I was having with the new notebooks - they all said they had never heard of this problem on the M1730 before. Go figure!

Message Edited by lrodsangel on 12-30-2007 11:09 PM

2 Posts

October 13th, 2008 15:00

I've been having this issue with my M1730 since I got it close to a year ago. The power cord loosely fits into the computer. If I jiggle it, AC power shorts out (on and off). If something touches the power cord, it fall out of the computer. The weight of the power cord (not the adapter which is huge) is enough to pull the power cord out of the computer.

I've had the motherboard and power supply replaced three times each, and the issue still exists. Dell states that this is not a design issue so I will continue to have my motherboard and power supply replaced every two weeks until I finally get working components or Dell redesigns the faulty parts.

I spent about $4600 on this laptop and find Dell's handling of the problem completely asinine.

808 Posts

October 14th, 2008 01:00

I've had mine since January 08, only had one problem and that was with the keyboard. Dell send a tech out to replace it. (Even though I am capable of doing it myself) Not a problem since then.
No Events found!