dangsquall
1 Copper

Re: XPS M1730 will not boot

Hi. Does anybody in this thread figure out what to do when this happens? I have a XPS 1530 and the exact same thing happened to me yesterday. When I tried to do the Fn + boot up, there's no sound beeping, only the 3 icons flash up, with the first one going on and off continously. My laptop is not under warranty anymore, so any help is greatly appreciated 😞

0 Kudos
kunzu
1 Copper

Hi did you solve your problem on your xps 1530?

0 Kudos
Larry2k
1 Copper

i have a same problem with my xps 1530, num lock blinking after fn+power - pls help.

0 Kudos
SKAVU
1 Copper

Yes what does two flashing and one lite solid mean.  Must be morse code for hey sucker you bought a dell and it's gona cost you time + money:emotion-43:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SKAVU
1 Copper

Check out these other threads    XPS 1530 black screen, num lock blinking  and Trouble in starting XPS M1530.

Konpachi
1 Copper

Hello everyone, I'm now having the exact same issue with my 3yr old M1730. It powers on the r/w arm moves one and the activity light blinks once or twice, then nothing. I have gone through and done the Fn + boot up and I do get tones after a little while + the num, caps, & scroll all blink.

I did contact Dell support who had me run a D 'key' + Boot up process and all that resulted in was a white screen with very faint fading colors at the bottom of my LCD. When I tried it again later on, the screen only turns a faint grey and no colors can be seen at all. The rep I spoke to suggested 2 things, 1.) Get a new LCD (which I am in the process of doing... $115) or 2.) Replace the system all together.

The two things I've deduced that the problem maybe is, 1.) The LCD has gone bad or 2.) The video-card has failed. I'm praying to dear sweet Jesus it's not the motherboard, but from what I've read here so far, since my Fn + Boot up resulted in tones, it couldn't be the video-card or the motherboard.

If anyone knows the exact solution to this issue please help me out, I'm currently being forced to use the library for internet access.

0 Kudos
Berxerxes
1 Copper

You may be up the creek, but here is a paddle. I had the same problem and it turned out to be the video card. The old video cards run hot and had a problem with bad solder connections. I replaced the card and have had no problems since (I also bought a cooler to keep the heat under control). I've read that you can cook the old card to remelt the solder, but I haven't tried that. Removing the card is a pain, but there are guides on line on how to do it. THe problem is that the cards are expensive and it's a tough choice to make when you'r enot sure it will fix the problem.

0 Kudos
Berxerxes
1 Copper

Glad to be of help. If you're going to upgrade, you might try cooking the card first (nothing to lose but time). Your hard drive should be fine. I did end up killing my boot sector when I thought the problem was with my hard drive, but I was able to reinstall XP and get everything working again. Good luck.

0 Kudos
Clark1979
1 Copper

Hello,

Did you ever get this fixed?

I woke up this morning with the same problem.

Thanks,

Clark

0 Kudos
Zion51
1 Copper

Hi Mike, It's been a while since I've visited the forum. In my case it was the mother board that went bad. I thought it was the graphics card overheating to begin with. In the end I had to bite the bullet and send it off to a third party IT engineer (as it's out of warranty).  For £125 they'll run a diagnostic and fix any IC's that have gone down. In my case the mother board was not repairable and it was a case of having the laptop sent back with my £125 or pay towards a new MB. I chose the latter and it's been working fine ever since. It even plays MW3 with no problems. Terry.

0 Kudos