Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

August 3rd, 2010 11:00

XPS M2010 Upgrades

If you were to max out an XPS M2010 system, what would you max it out with?

I ask, because although a system of this size, really shouldn't be considered a laptop, I find that it does give me the screen real estate that I want along with other features, that its more mobile, then lugging my XPS 720 and 24 inch Ultrasharp around with me.  I don't have the money right now to get an Alienware 17 inch notebook which might be an acceptable replacement for this 2010, but in the mean time, I'll just keep it running for a year or two more.

Thanks,
Dan

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 3rd, 2010 11:00

You may be able to upgrade the CPU, RAM and hard drive depending on what you've got now.  What you can't upgrade is the video adapter - there's nothing made to fit the system other than what it shipped with.

2 Posts

May 6th, 2011 07:00

I've been working with mine, one thing i've found is the video card connector from my inspiron 1720, is the same one as goes in the xps 2010.  Unfortunately there's not enough room inside to plug the card in just to try it and see if it works or not.  But it has led me to believe that dell uses the same connector for some of their laptops that had upgradeable video.  I'm not sure the motherboard would support a different video card but either the geforce 8400 gs or geforce 8600 gt cards that go in the Inspiron 1720 appear to have the same plug type as the xps2010.  My guess would be other laptops from that generation may also have the same plugs.  Would be nice to find some other video card that's more reliable the the current one for the xps 2010.

No Events found!