Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 28th, 2013 16:00

XPS l501x - Touchpad Drivers

Hello. :)  I recently purchased an XPS l501x.  The person who sold it to me was kind enough to upgrade the system to Windows 8 (which the system seems to handle very well and which I'm liking a lot), but they didn't remember to install any touchpad drivers for the system. I would like to be able to turn the tap-to-click option off, or at least adjust it's sensitivity, since at the moment, while it works, it's ultra sensitive.  I've searched the Dell database and found a myriad of touchpad drivers for different XPS systems.  I've come across Synaptics, Dell Cypress, and Alps drivers, or have read forum threads that mention them.  I'm confused which I should be installing for this l501x system -- especially since it's running Windows 8. 

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!!!

• 

3.3K Posts

February 28th, 2013 20:00

Hi Liliac10,

Dell has not tested Windows 8 on this model. However you may try installing the Windows 7 driver in the compatible mode. Please find the link below for the driver:

http://dell.to/Wv2Mt5

Download the R277335.exe from the link above and double click on the file and extract it on the desktop in a folder. Look for setup file in the extracted folder. Right click ‘.exe’ file and click ‘Properties’. Click “install in compatibility mode’. Click on Application and select ‘Troubleshoot Compatibility’. Next, click on ‘Troubleshoot Program’. Click on Program worked in earlier versions of Windows. Click on ‘Windows 7’.Click on ‘Start the Program’. Do not hit ‘Next’ until the installation completes. Once the installation completes, click on ‘Next’.

New computers have added gesture features to the touchpad hardware. A few of these features are two or three finger scrolling, pinch zoom, circle zoom, rotate and swiping. These new features may be the reason for the erratic cursor movement since most are turned on by default. You can disable or modify the way the features work in the touchpad driver properties.

You may also reduce the touchpad sensitivity. Click Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers > Mouse and in the Mouse properties window navigate to Synaptic Track pad. Click on ‘Click to change Synaptic Track Pad Settings’. Next navigate to ‘Palm Rejection’ tab and reduce the sensitivity of the palm rest. Click Ok to save the settings.         
Please let me know if this helps.

2 Posts

March 1st, 2013 15:00

Hello. :)  Thank you for your help.  I was able to download the Windows 7 drivers just fine and turn off the tapping feature on the touch pad.  Since I think most issues I was having was due to accidentally tapping the touchpad while typing, turning off the tapping feature should work fine.  I didn't see a "palm rejection" tab under the settings for these drivers (maybe it came out in a later driver version?), but there is a sensitivity tab.  Just a note for anyone else who may have future problems with this model, try to fix them, and realize that tab isn't there.

Thanks again for your help!

5 Posts

August 31st, 2013 13:00

I tried to do this but when you click "properties" there is no "install in compatibility mode" option.  When clicking on Application there is no "troubleshoot compatibility" either.

I did do the "run in compatibility mode" though and as a result, once my machine rebooted it was totally and utterly wrecked.

I believe that this thread has the latest driver that will work

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19475528.aspx

No Events found!