8 Krypton

Re: XPS m1530---Plugged In Not Charging

Tell them you've already tried another battery.

0 Kudos
Port Wemyss
1 Copper

The mains battery charger connection appears to be a regular problem with the M1530. I checked Google to see if there was a issue with this model, and there seems to have been a number of cases where the battery does not charge after a period , indicating 'Plugged-in, not charging'. Since I got the M1530, the mains connector lead has always felt 'slack' in the socket.  I had a number of experiences where the battery did not charge.  I plugged and unplugged the connector till it eventually started charging.  Last week it refused to charge.  As instructed by Dell Tech support, I re-flashed the A12 BIOS.  It started charging and reached 100% charge.  I unplugged the connector, ran down the battery, reconnected, and was back to square one.  Needless to say the warranty has run out!  I have, apologetically, been informed that it will need a new motherboard and power . adaptor.  If I give my details, they will get an engineer to give me an estimate and arrange to call and carry out the necessary repairs.  This computer is only 18 mths old and was not a basic level laptop.   I feel that, if this socket is a regular issuee, Dell should consider free upgrades for any components which have proved to make the comuter 'unfit for purpose'  within an acceptable lifespan for such a device.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Port Wemyss
1 Copper

The mains battery charger connection appears to be a regular problem with the M1530. I checked Google to see if there was a issue with this model, and there seems to have been a number of cases where the battery does not charge after a period , indicating 'Plugged-in, not charging'. Since I got the M1530, the mains connector lead has always felt 'slack' in the socket.  I had a number of experiences where the battery did not charge.  I plugged and unplugged the connector till it eventually started charging.  Last week it refused to charge.  As instructed by Dell Tech support, I re-flashed the A12 BIOS.  It started charging and reached 100% charge.  I unplugged the connector, ran down the battery, reconnected, and was back to square one.  Needless to say the warranty has run out!  I have, apologetically, been informed that it will need a new motherboard and power . adaptor.  If I give my details, they will get an engineer to give me an estimate and arrange to call and carry out the necessary repairs.  This computer is only 18 mths old and was not a basic level laptop.   I feel that, if this socket is a regular issuee, Dell should consider free upgrades for any components which have proved to make the computer 'unfit for purpose'  within an acceptable lifespan for such a device.

0 Kudos
tech-expert
1 Copper

Forget about Dell free upgrades!!! They are arrogant in nature when asking for this support and won't left any chance to mint the money on something they are responsible for. My  M1530 was also an high end I spent more than $2300 on that and is just 13 months old ( The first time problem occured in first 30 days of purchase) Then it was graphic card. Then it was touchpad that stopped working more than once in the past and then started working again on it's own or upgrading the BIOS. I upgraded the warranty for $400+

With all the things mentioned above, looks like I am wierd user who does not know how to operate a Laptop or is not taking care for it, but I have kept it in almost brand new condition. I am building custom PC and writing software (I am Microsoft Cerified Solutions Developer and Small Business Specailist)

Only one suggestion is there forget about Dell. I have resolved NOT TO BUY Dell anymore in my lifetime. That's how you can live with peaceful mind.

All the best!!

0 Kudos
MissCt234
1 Copper

How did your problem start? Currently my battery says it is charging, though it is still looking very low and there is not the charging indication on the battery icon. I have had my XPS M1530 for only 10 months and I have had to replace the motherboard. Had to do the same with my Dell desktop at 15 months old to the tune of over $600. Unfortunately the desktop went a few weeks AFTER I had purchased the laptop. Anyway...when I run the mouse over the battery icon it says it is charging and it says the charge is increasing, but I do not think it actually is....so I am really curious as to how your problems started. I must say, at this point I am not impressed with Dell computers.

0 Kudos
mikedaboss
1 Nickel

i have a xps m1730 and guess what ! it does not charge i must be one of the unlucky ones who's own fault is was for bying a dell laptop, as for those who say its not a common problem, rubbish. BY dell not admitting the problem and finding a solution it will only serve to damage a once good reputation, my machine is 4 months old on its second mother board second power adapter and with dell due to change both again tommorow (provided they turn up, as the have not for the past three appointments) may be they will sort it, but it doubt it will last long. i recommend the extended warrantee if you would like to use your laptop after 12 months, other than that if you want piece of mind buy a different make. i have 24 hr business support after not turning up for three working days and hours on the phone i was told it was my fault as they ordered the parts at night time!! if it is fixed tommorrow i have to wonder for how long?. i have also had dell supprot upgrade the bios, no difference. i remember when a car manufacturer denied there was a problem with their cars  rusting (Lancia) and eventually they were recalled but too late, this killed their reputation and sales, are dell trying to do the same?. All good responsible manufacturers proove their worth through good  after care this why people return to buy again. We all realise problems can happen, but it what you do about it that counts. Time will tell.

regards mike (owner of a very  expensive none mobile laptop)

0 Kudos
mikedaboss
1 Nickel

ps regards to the comment its only a small precentage,  dell sell millions of units , if thats the case the why dont you replace them and stop the bad press?

0 Kudos
mikedaboss
1 Nickel

one more point where do dell get off with replacing parts with second hand spares? lets see 4 month old lap top with second hand (reconditioned) mother board and power adapter for sale age unknown , sounds good doesnt it , lets try Mercendes sports car 4 months old prone to breaking down recently fitted with an old engine but i think its good came out of an older car but how old and how much use i dont know, guaranteed if it breaks down i will supply any old parts required within the first twelve months and after that tough, Yep i can feel the rush of buyers coming now. GET THE POINT MR DELL?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

ALL computer vendors use refurbished parts for replacements.  Almost all car manufacturers do as well - I have a colleague with an 18-month old VW that needed a replacement transmission - guess what:  the replacement part was "rebuilt".

If a carmaker can do it on a $45,000 SUV, then why can't a PC maker do the same on a $1,500 notebook?

0 Kudos
mikedaboss
1 Nickel

i beg to differ i bet they did not rebuild his transmission with secondhand parts! but  you show by your reply what i meant by not admiting a problem!

0 Kudos