Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2013 02:00

XPS12 touchpad driver issue, dell backup and recovery unusable,no windows activation key

Hi,

I'm a new XPS12 user (Haswell version, 29Q33), and pretty happy of this laptop. But my touchpad is driving me crazy. The problem seems to come from the HID I2C driver, code 10 in the devices manager since the first update of the intel driver i did.

I tried everything : uninstall driver, reboot, cleaning the registry with 2 different softwares, reboot, reinstall driver, reboot ; manual driver installation ; desactivation or suppression of the device and reboot, windows self cleaning with loss of personnal parameters, update to 8.1 preview. Nothing makes it work.

I tried to restore the laptop with the recovery partition using dell backup and recovery, but the screen is stretched and the left side is outside of the screen, so i can't select a full recovery without my personnal parameters (I tried many times with blind keyboard shortcuts navigation)...

I know it is not hardware because the touchpad works outside of windows (under Dell backup and recovery for exemple (even if i can move the cursor outside the screen to clic where i'd wanted to :-p )

So I want to do a proper manual reinstallation of windows (i would have eventually to get rid of the bloatware anyway), but there is no windows 8 activation key sticker anywhere. I've read that it's filled up automatically during the install because it is now stored in bios... but i need the key to download the iso from microsoft. The key in the preinstalled software (extracted by a key finder) seems to be the generic dell key, so windows doesn't take it.

I'm tired of searching how to make it work ; i was going to install 8.1 preview from scratch with the genreic key they provide on microsoft's website, but I dont want to be stuck again in a few weeks when the preview stops.

So, do you have any idea of how to make dell backup and recovery work, and how to see my windows activation key ?

Thank you for your help !

July 30th, 2013 02:00

Hi Gropaf,

Welcome to the Dell Community Forum,

I regret the inconvenience caused, I request you to provide us the Service tag of your computer on a private message so we can check
your computer details and send a Windows 8 DUSB with which you can Re-Install the Operating System on the computer (Clean Install).
And regarding the Windows 8.1 preview it is just a Beta version (Trail version), the complete version will be released in a couple of months from now
You can go through the link pasted below which has information and installation options for Windows 8.1 preview
http://dell.to/1626L5J

NOTE: Before Installing the Windows 8.1 preview please go through the Important note and Back up the data

To send a private message, click on my user name and select start conversation and send us the Service tag of your computer.

Let us know if this helps

5 Posts

July 30th, 2013 12:00

After making an Acronis image of the ssd, I installed windows 8.1 (since dell B&R still doesn't work and there is no legal way to find the good win8 iso for a clean install on the web). I discovered that the guilty driver is the lynx oint chipset driver. He is the one enabling my touch screen and disabling the touchpad with a code 10 error.

What do i do now ?

5 Posts

August 2nd, 2013 03:00

Hi there !

Finally the support of my country sent me a DUSB with windows 8. I did a proper reinstallation (erasing all partitions to be sure nothing interferes). After installation, I had a clean windows 8 without any driver (no wifi, so no internet connexion and no windows 8 download).

I installed the graphics driver, the chispet one, no problem so far. At this step, the touchpad works like a classic PS2 mouse, and the touchscreen is disabled.

Then I installed the Serial IO driver, downloaded from dell website, identified by my XPS serial number.

The error is back when installing the GPIO IO driver : this one makes the HID I2C peripherals appear in the device manager (while he appears also in the system list). One enables the touchscreen, the other should enable the touchpad with the same gestures than the touchscreen. The problem is that this last appears to be code 10, with the STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE mention.

I tried to find another updated driver from intel, I couldn't find any. The support tried a lot of things too (though they tried less than I :-p).

I think this must be a hardware problem, since I seem to be the only customer having this problem on the Haswell XPS12 so far, with the same software.

Anybody have another idea ?

5 Posts

August 2nd, 2013 06:00

Last update : motherboard and touchpad are gonna be changed next monday...

4 Posts

December 2nd, 2013 18:00

I also have the same issue with my touchpad, and your symptoms mirror the issue I'm experiencing, with the same model. I have requested a support tech onsite.

I also have a intermittent problem with the system not booting occasionally, auto rotate sensor not working properly and the wireless signal being so weak, I have to hold the machine over the top of the modem and wave it about like I'm performing a satanic ritual.

Did Dell fix your touchpad issue?

5 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 00:00

Eventually, they changed the all thing (due to lack of parts for this new version), the new one works just fine. 

No Events found!