After not having used the laptop for a few months, I powered it on and was applying updates (some pre-1709 cumulative Windows updates).
Suddenly, the laptop shut down. I came to notice that the LED on the power supply was dead. Pressing the battery status light on the latptop gave no battery level (no lights). I figured the power supply had died and ordered up a new one.
The new power adapter arrived, and the LED works. However, when I plut it in the LED turns off. It's not until I cycle the power to the adapter (while disconnected from the computer) that the LED returns. Plugging it into the computer again causes it to turn off.
I'm not sure if I got a dud for the new power adapter, or if something is wrong with the computer. I don't want to sink another $40 into a second new adapter.
How do these latptops behave when the battery is dead? Are they still usable when plugged in?
Unplug the system, disconnect the battery and hold the power button for 30 sec. Re-connect the AC adapter (but not the battery) and see if the system will power up. If it will, reconnect the battery and try again. If it then fails, the battery is bad. Replace with a new one.
If you can't get the system to power up on AC only, next suspect is the DC jack - replace this part: