Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 10th, 2015 04:00

XPS13 (9333) Touchpad Broken - Repair options?

Hi,

My laptop is around 18 months old and over the last couple of months the touchpad has been gradually lifting up to the point now where it's unusable. I mainly use the laptop with an external keyboard, mouse and monitor so with the lid being closed I can only assume the heat from it has caused it to come unstuck or something.

Is there anyway I can repair this, I've considered just using superglue but it's under so much tension I can't imagine it would work at all

See picture:

10 Posts

July 29th, 2015 10:00

Dell came good on this after I got it escalated. The touchpad issue turned out to be the battery which had swollen considerably and was pushing the touchpad up (even though battery life was fine). They sent an engineer within a few days who replaced the motherboard (coil whine) and battery.They even swapped out my monitor too! Worth logging a support call then escalating it after jumping through a few hoops and frustrating emails

June 10th, 2015 04:00

Hello, 

Please PM us your system tag#.

Just curious to know if this issue was there from past few months, why haven't you informed about it on day 1? 

Regards

Hema

10 Posts

June 17th, 2015 02:00

Are you going to answer my messages?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 17th, 2015 05:00

If the system is in warranty, Dell may cover it (if there's no evidence of dropping, etc.).  If the system is out of warranty, the part cannot be repaired.

You will need to replace the palmrest assembly:

< >

to solve the problem.

10 Posts

June 17th, 2015 06:00

Thanks, it's out of warranty so I think I'll just try to fix it myself (shame it's coming from the US though).

18 months old, supposedly high-end ultrabook and it's done this :emotion-6: . What with the unresolved coil whine and issue connecting to my Dell monitor that's the last Dell product I'm ever going to buy 

3 Posts

July 28th, 2015 19:00

Got the same problem. Mine doesn't look as bad as yours does, but the track pad is still lifted and makes clicking nearly impossible.

I use mine primarily at my office as a desktop replacement. It's actually still under warranty, but after one hour on the phone, Dell tech support said it's not covered since it's "physical damage." ???

A track pad that breaks from normal use, the coil whine problem, along with lousy tech support and false warranty coverage... that's Dell for you. 

3 Posts

July 29th, 2015 10:00

Wow, glad to hear you got it fixed. Thanks for the info. Guess I'll keep trying.

3 Posts

July 29th, 2015 17:00

Well, wasted yet another hour of my life on the phone with no success. $159 to repair the trackpad. $110 for the battery (and they were not convinced the battery could be the cause). Guy on the phone said the battery was swollen because I left it plugged in all day, and that is not the correct way to use the laptop. I made the mistake of trying to argue that it is never acceptable for a laptop battery to swell no matter the usage scenario. Those phone operators are well trained!

April 28th, 2017 16:00

My company bought over 20 of these and this is happening to eight of them. (most users use an external keyboard, mouse and monitor) it *** that now they have no choice but to use them like this. hopefully going forward Dell will make good on this as it's obviously faulty since it keeps happening.

3 Posts

August 4th, 2017 16:00

Mine has the same problem - I guess it's the battery since mine is mainly plugged in. I wish Dell had the same ability as other vendors to partially charge a battery since it extends the battery life and prevents over heating like this.

10 Posts

August 7th, 2017 02:00

Mine has done exactly the same again, appears to last about 2 years and then the trackpad is unusable

1 Message

August 14th, 2017 12:00

Same problem over here. And this laptop was used only 1 month. It's insane to say that the battery is getting swollen because it's always plugged in when you release products such as Dell dock TB15/TB16 for external monitors which cannot be used unless you plug it in your laptop. I hope my warranty still covers. I never had this problem with any other laptop in my life. How can you not control the charging rates like others do and ruin batteries like that?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 22nd, 2017 04:00

I bought my DELL XPS 13 9350 two year ago. After about year and a half of a desktop replacement use the battery got swollen. One of the local service centers replaced mine with a new one. After a while my speakers ceased to work as well. My laptop then spent about one more week in the repair shop while they were replacing the speakers. Whithin a couple of days after I took my pc home, the trackpad stopped working and my warranty ended as well. Two years and no touch pad for such an expensive laptop.

No Events found!