Highlighted
XPS 13 Owner
1 Copper

XPS13 9343 Failing Touch Display Hardware

For about three months now I have been tolerating a slow but steady creep of blurred screen display from the lower horizontal edge of the touch screen up towards the top. It started about 1.5mm now it is 3mm all the way across the bottom of the screen. I've been secretly (naively) hoping this would go away with a bios update. Today's update has not fixed it. 

A laptop display repair guy told me it is a hardware failure. Expensive to replace.

Is it fixable? I have no warranty. I bought this machine Dec 2015. Such a short life span for such an expensive laptop.

I hope no one else gets this after all the other troubles seen with this model. I placed a diagnostic query thingy already.

M

Intel HD Graphics 5500 Display Adaptor

0 Kudos
2 Replies

RE: XPS13 9343 Failing Touch Display Hardware

FixMyDisplay,

Run the diagnostics by following the information below. It will show you if the hardware is failing.

Launching ePSA Start the computer.
As soon as you see the DELL logo, tap <F12> until you see the one-time boot menu.
Select Diagnostics.
Testing Devices using ePSA
The ePSA starts running the quick test without waiting for user input.
To select a specific device to test, users can tap the Esc key.
A NOTE indicates important information that helps you make better use of your computer. NOTE:
The Touchpad/Mouse will be non–functional when the test is in progress. This is as per design.

The following list shows the tests that ePSA is capable of running. However, some tests are applicable to portables and some to desktops.

System
Cables
Hard Drive
CD ROM
Video Card
Notebook Panel (Portables only)
Primary Battery (Portables only)
Charger (Portables only)
CPU Fan
Rear Fan
Eventlog Scan
Multi-Processor Cache
Memory 

You can choose between Quick and Thorough test modes.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
0 Kudos
XPS 13 Owner
1 Copper

RE: XPS13 9343 Failing Touch Display Hardware

Hi Jesse,

I ran the pre boot tests in detail mode and it was not able to detect the problem. The tests don't seem to test screen rendering only card hardware and memory. After I closed the test software and when windows login screen was displayed, the bar that I describe above still contained remnants of the test software display. I took a photo of it but can not attach here I think.

Thanks for any assistance.

Michael.

0 Kudos