Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 11th, 2015 04:00

XPS13 L322X "Plugged in, not charging"

I guess this is yet another case of a laptop failing right after warranty expires.

I obviously have the problem so many had before me with a L322X XPS13.

I tried a brand new Dell adapter at a shop, didn't solve the problem.

I had the laptop plug and cable changed, didn't solve the problem.

I changed the battery, didn't solve the problem.

I drained the residual power, updated everything, reinstalled drivers and even windows. Guess what? Yep, didn't change a thing.

I now have an XPS13 that is at 9% from a brand new battery that is going down each time I have a security check at the airport... It's a matter of time until I have to leave it home because it won't charge.

I have now ordered a brand new mainboard / motherboard because it actually is the only thing that is involved in charging the battery I haven't changed...

I'll let you know, what happens with it, guys...

But now, what I can say is Dell laptops sux big time if you are stupid enough not to buy the extended on site support.

March 26th, 2015 02:00

OK, people, me again.

So I changed EVERYTHING in that *** computer.

I started with the battery, then went to change the motherboard (upgraded to a superior model), this DID NOT change a thing.

Once you spent that much money to change that much, you wonder.

So you go on and change what's left: Adapter. Didn't change a thing. Adapter plug (inside the computer): didn't change a thing.

Went further. Unplugged the SSD and the wireless card. Just to check.

Nothing.

And finally, unscrewed the adaptor plug inside the computer. And "Voila". Don't ask, the BIOS now sees the adapter for what it is, the battery is charging.

Feels like a short circuit.

Whatever it is (if you have an idea... I'll hear it!), if you guys have the same problem... try unscrewing that stupid thing!

5.2K Posts

March 26th, 2015 15:00

What exactly do you mean by:"unscrewed the adaptor plug inside the computer?

March 27th, 2015 02:00

The little plug is attached to the chassis with a single screw. remove it, it might be the reason the computer won't charge.

March 27th, 2015 04:00

5.2K Posts

March 27th, 2015 08:00

Since the socket is on an extension cord, there are no direct solder connections to the system board. Does it look like any part of the socket would be in electrical contact with the system board or the metal chassis? It looks like the mounting is not metallic. Is there anything metallic under the socket. This could be a case of unintentional grounding where there shouldn't be any.?????????? Looks like the socket may touch the edge of the chassis just under the front edge of the socket. If this is true, you may wantr to slip a small piece of paper or other insulator under the socket. 

This configuration apparently been adopted to minimize power problems related to solder connection issues with the "normal" power socket configuration.

Great sleuthing job!!! Perhaps you need to contact the Dell Moderator for Laptops and discuss this. He might be willing to post a Sticky at the Forum header. He should also contact Dell engineering about this with a possible retrofit. This could save a lot of people aggravation.

March 27th, 2015 11:00

you must be right, I will try to put a piece of insulator around the socket, this should do the trick.

13 Posts

May 25th, 2015 10:00

Nope ... I don't think so.   I have the same problem.  Battery non charging after replacing Internal Adapter Plug connector, 2 batteries, ac adapter, and even a keyboard.

Battery Health Check is Normal and Desktop ICON says "0% available, plugged in, and charging" .... but it does not charge .... 

There's no design short .... if screwed in, metal socket is too far from case.  I ran it unscrewed just hanging free and no effect.

It's the flakey Motherboard .... that the only thing I've not replaced but refuse on principle to pay that kind of money to "play" into Dell's poor intentional quality control.  I'd rather toss it and cut my loss and purchase an Asus.  

Oh, and YES ... I did purchase the Ext Warranty and everything went hello 30 days after expiration.

13 Posts

May 25th, 2015 10:00

Did that work for you?

December 21st, 2015 04:00

I have the same issue,  Dell XPS L322X, battery no longer charging.

I emailed Dell for a phone call back with all the detail, and a Dell Support guy emailed back one sentence, "call support number".  Thanks Dell!  Why do you put the email contact form on your site with the phone call back if you don't  do it!    I'm outside the 1 year onsite support but still in the extended warranty period.

With so many people having the same problem with this laptop, why isn't Dell providing a solution?  And why isn't Dell recalling these laptops or providing a free-fix?

December 21st, 2015 04:00

did you ever find a solution?

Dell don't appear to be very helpful.

5.2K Posts

December 21st, 2015 06:00

You should use the Dell Chat Line which is a real time connection. You can type the first message ahead of time and copy it to the Chat. Works better than verbal discussion and you have a copy if the Chat for your records.

December 23rd, 2015 07:00

Dell came and although I had two separate adaptors, a new one they supplied for free worked.

So I must say the 30 mins on the phone to Dell support with an engineer arriving the next day, paid off for me.

1 Message

March 4th, 2016 10:00

THANK YOU!

This worked for me!

1 Message

April 17th, 2016 14:00

when you say adapter?

do u mean the charging port or the actual ac adapter that plug into the wall..

my pc is doing the same thing sayin 0% battery life and i just purchased a new battery with no luck.. this is not fun spending money on my XPS with no results.. love my dell products but this is getting rediculous

No Events found!