Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2016 04:00

XPS13 noisy and overheating

I bought a Dell XPS13 about one year ago, and it worked perfectly up until about 2 months ago when one day it overheated, gave me a blue screen saying 'something went wrong' and made me either format or 'refresh'. I chose refresh, and it told me if I wanted to fin out more about the problem I could search for Critical Process Died.

Ever since then the computer often sounds like it is working really hard, the fan getting very noisy and the whole thing heating up. This is not connected to whether or how many programs I have running, as sometimes it does it spontaneously. This is also happens when the computer is not in use and I have closed the lid and not been near it for several hours, and the I come back and hear the fan going and on more than one occasion it has been too hot to pick up with my bare hands. (I have checked the settings and the computer is set to go to sleep when the lid is closed.)

I bought the computer in the UK but am currently living in Israel and have been using the local support service. After running many checks with me over the phone (temperatures always within normal range but also the checks happened not to be at a time when the computer was playing up) and updating the BIOS and other things, they eventually send out a series of technicians who over the past 6 weeks have replaced the hard drive, the motherboard, the fan (twice), the cooling element (3 times) and even the screen. The problem persists exactly as before, and I would love a technician to actually check my computer but have been told that they can only be sent out to change parts, and all checks happen over the phone.

I was also told that with age the computer will just do this, and since it is a small computer it will obviously be noisy and get hot. This seems unacceptable to me since this began when it was only 11 months old and it is a very expensive computer!

Can anyone help me with what the problem might be and how I might be able to solve it?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 22nd, 2016 11:00

This is also happens when the computer is not in use and I have closed the lid and not been near it for several hours, and the I come back and hear the fan going and on more than one occasion it has been too hot to pick up with my bare hands.

:emotion-2:

It seem the Dell Techs have done all they can do. Instead of letting the computer sleep for a couple of hours, I suggest you power off the system when you aren't using it. I also suggest you buy a cooling pad or chill mat which will help reduce the system temperatures.

download.cnet.com/.../

3 Posts

June 22nd, 2016 11:00

Thanks for the suggestion, I just find it hard to accept that I just have to find a workaround for the problem, since on the one hand it wasn't like this for the first 11 months I had it, and on the other I have a friend at work with the same computer and she's had it for longer than me and her's doesn't do this, so I believe there must be a problem, and if there's a problem I'd rather fix it!

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 22nd, 2016 12:00

What exactly is your Dell XPS13 and versions of windows Example: XPS 13 L321X, windows 10

If you don't know it, enter your service tag number( or use Auto - Detect Your Product) onto the link below:

www.dell.com/.../

3 Posts

June 22nd, 2016 13:00

XPS 13 9343

Window 10

(When the problem began I had Windows 8, and was advised to upgrade to 10, which has made no difference, other than being much nicer to use).

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 23rd, 2016 07:00

" they eventually send out a series of technicians who over the past 6 weeks have replaced the hard drive, the motherboard "

Please type msinfo32 onto the [Cortana] search bar and look for BIOS version and Build in the system information. Post back your findings. Just to be sure there aren't any hardware issues, run the Diagnostic tool on your system:

1. Power off the computer

2. Power on computer, quickly start tapping the F12 key continuously. You should be in the diagnostic screen. After the quick tests has completed, run the extended(full) tests as well. Report back any error codes.

https://youtu.be/WDpvQ3qwy1c

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 23rd, 2016 08:00

If there aren't any error codes then I like to suggest you run the Troubleshooting tool on the system:

1. Type troubleshooting control panel onto the [Cortana] search bar, and then click on "View All ".

2. First, click on windows updates, system maintenance, and then power.

No Events found!