Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 10th, 2016 10:00

XPS13 wont detect a specific wifi network, no problem with others

I've been connecting to my home network with no problem until 2 days ago. My home network suddenly disappeared from available networks, and my laptop won't detect it no matter what I try. My laptop sees other wifis at home and can connect, but not that specific network. I'm using my neighbor's wifi right now!!

My phone and other laptops see the home network and connect with no problem,so it's not the modem. I have updated wifi driver, disabled/enabled it, turn it on/off in bios.. didn't work.. No problem with office network during the day, but won't detect the home network..

Please, any suggestions? Need internet at home.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 10th, 2016 16:00

Open a command prompt with administrative privileges, and type

netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the system and try connecting again.

5 Posts

October 10th, 2016 23:00

Thanks, but didn't work..

5 Posts

October 11th, 2016 05:00

Yes. I still tried to manually add its name as if it's hidden, also didn't work..

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 11th, 2016 05:00

Is your home network open (i.e., no encryption)?

5 Posts

October 11th, 2016 06:00

My network is secured. And my laptop was detecting and connecting to it until 3-4days ago.

I got my laptop 1 year ago and have Broadcom 1560, and the driver was problematic from the start like many other XPS 13s. Then it seemed like it was fixed for the last few months, but then this happened. Still, I feel like it's software related..

5 Posts

Sorry btw, I thought you asked whether my network is hidden. I'm really frustrated with my laptop right now, just moved to europe and trying to find how to fix it.. My network is not hidden and it's secured.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Windows 8 and up won't connect by default to an unsecured network unless the type is set to "public wifi".  

You should secure the network - you're basically broadcasting all your personal information on what amounts to a party line for the world to see by having an unsecured wifi network, by the way.  Anyone can come in, steal your packets and your passwords, banking information, etc. at will.

No Events found!