Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 1st, 2016 04:00

XPS14 Ultrabook how to "system unlock" in bios

Hello,

I would like to know how I get the password for "system unlock" in my bios? It's not in the manual or documenation.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 1st, 2016 04:00

You must place a voice phone call to Dell support.  Be prepared with your ownership registration details and since the system is almost certainly out of warranty, a credit card to pay for the support call.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 1st, 2016 05:00

The cost of a support call is about $60.  Essentially, it's the same situation you'd be in if you lost the only key to your home's lock - you'd have to pay a *** to change the lock.

5 Posts

June 1st, 2016 05:00

Pay for a support call? How much?

I should have the password to unlock it I paid for the laptop why must I pay for it?

5 Posts

June 1st, 2016 08:00

That's not true. I have NOT lost the key, I can get in to my BIOS, you have locked part of the BIOS not giving me access now want to charge me for giving me the key. How in the world could that remotely be like losing my key? I've not lost ANY key, I own the laptop 100%, paid for in cash yet you locked part of my bios without my permission nor me knowing about it.

5 Posts

June 1st, 2016 12:00

I start my laptop...

I go to BIOS

I enter my password

BIOS opens... just about every option is grayed out, not able to change

I got to settings, there is SYSTEM UNLOCK option... don't have that password... never had it... bought my laptop straight from DELL shop.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 1st, 2016 12:00

If you have not set any administrator passwords (and no prior owner or other individual did), there is nothing to unlock.  What exactly are you looking for?

If you're looking for "advanced" tweaking settings such as the ability to change memory timing, video RAM allocation, etc .... they're not there, and there's no way to add them to a system that doesn't include them.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 1st, 2016 14:00

It's time to contact the seller from whom you purchased the system.

5 Posts

June 2nd, 2016 01:00

that's funny... I am talking to them now... as I said I purchased it direct from you, Dell.com

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 2nd, 2016 03:00

Do you get a password prompt when you try to change settings?  Or are the settings just greyed out?

There are very few options you can in fact change  -- particularly in UEFI mode. 

No Events found!