Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2017 03:00

XPS15 9550 BSOD VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE igdkmd64.sys

The Intel HD Graphics 530 driver version 21.20.16.4590 permanently blue screens with the message:

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE igdkmd64.sys

I managed to roll back the driver fast enough only in low resolution mode and with the touch screen, the flickering prevented me from using a mouse.

Working driver: 20.19.15.4483

Please stop distributing 21.20.16.4590

2 Posts

April 8th, 2017 15:00

I can confirm that 21.20.16.4590 is indeed faulty and results in a flickering screen that after a short while results in a BSOD with VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE. You should really consider to stop distributing this.

(XPS 15 here)

April 9th, 2017 07:00

I also confirm this issue. I bought the max config (XPS 15 9550 with 32GB & 1TB NVMe SSD) for my business use in mid september 2016.

I recently started experiencing increasingly long periods of screen flickering shortly after updating to the latest stream of drivers and BIOS from Dell in late March early April up to the point where my machine consistently crashed (STOP CODE: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE igdkmd64.sys) shortly after logging in making the machine completely unusable.

I then tried every type of restore option all the way to a full RESET and REINSTALL of Windows 10, with the exact same crashing behaviour.

I started believing that there might be a hardware problem. But when I booted to my Linux partition, I noticed that everything was perfectly fine. The BIOS Diagnostics also confirmed the HW was all fine.

FIX:

So I switched back to Windows 10 and proceed to disabling the Intel Graphics from the Device Manager, which gave me more stability but prevented the use of an external monitor (deal breaker for me). Finally, I downloaded the previous version of the Intel HD Graphics 530 (i.e. v20.19.15.4531) and everything worked even (single & dual monitor, no flickering, stable environment, etc.).

The problem then became the stupid Windows 10 Update that automatically fetches the latest buggy & crash prone driver for Intel HD Graphics 530 which brings back the systematic crashes and reboots.

So on the following boot, I had to use the device manager, disable the Intel HD Graphics 530 again, then right-click and select Properties and on the Driver Tab select Roll Back Driver and provide an explicit reason under Other which Intel /Dell will likely ignore...

Anyway, I guess I have stability again (by Windows' standard; I *NEVER* had such problems with any of my 3 Macbook Pros over 10+ years).

HTH, MT

3 Posts

April 9th, 2017 14:00

Thank you so much for this. I have been struggling for 3 days with an XPS15 9550 flickering screen and regular VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE blue screen crashes. I went to Device Manager, Selected Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 driver. It was at version 21.20.16.4590. I selected roll back. It then went back to version 20.19.15.4454. Problem solved. My only concern now is how to stop auto update putting back the broken version.

1 Message

April 9th, 2017 18:00

I have a Dell XPS i7 4k 512gb SSD 9550 and I am having similar issues as the ones stated above. I think I downloaded it on 07/04 late at night and woke up the next day to these annoying persistent flickering issues which are most prominent on start-up, then seem to disappear after a minute of use. Dell Pro Support person got me to uninstall both GPU drivers(Intel and NVidia) from device manager with no change. He also got me to reset the computer, which also showed no change (note that I received a problem telling me all my files hadn't been removed). A dell technician is coming to repair my busted speaker so I will let you know if he manages to resolve this issue. I can't believe I'm already having these problems out of 10 days of use. Wow.

1 Message

April 10th, 2017 02:00

Same issue here, and I've been struggling for a few days installing/uninstalling drivers hoping it fix the issues, as the laptop is near unusable. So far rolling back my drivers to beta version 21.20.16.4614 seemed to solve the issue with the BSOD and screen flashing. Hopefully Dell addresses the driver issues with a stable version.

1 Message

April 10th, 2017 10:00

Thank you! I had this problem for so long and reverting to 20.19.15.4483 totally fixed it. Many thanks.

2 Posts

April 10th, 2017 12:00

I have no idea who accepted an answer here. The only acceptable answer would be from dell update stopping to bother me to update that driver.

April 10th, 2017 13:00

I have a Dell Precision 5510 Notebook with Xeon processor and NVidia + Intel graphics. The problem is that the Intel graphics is default and NVidia can only be used for selected applications. Like you I started experiencing the flickering annd blue screen after the latest update.

3 Posts

April 11th, 2017 08:00

DELL XPS 9550 32GB 1TB

I have been having flickering issue every now and then ever since I bought the laptop. Had the same problem after the upgrade in early April, upgraded all the drivers and still the same problem. Contacted dell and they changed the mother board and still had the same problem. Just fixed the problem after reading this thread. Almost forgot to add that also tried, soft reset and hard reset but nothing worked.

Thank you!

Flickering Intel HD Graphics 530: 21.20.16.4590

Fixed version: 20.19.15.4531

1 Message

April 11th, 2017 12:00

Thank you for your post - I confirm the same problem on my XPS 15 9550. Hours of tests and tribulations, searching on TechNet etc. with no results. This nefariously coincided with the upgrade to W10 creators build, so I hat assumed that the update was at fault.

I finally rolled back the video driver to the previous version and the system is now stable once again.

Beware of "Video_Driver_9T55H_WN32_21.20.16.4590_A09.EXE": this will result in the discussed observed flickering, occasional BSODs and severe loss of productivity.

DELL: retract this driver!

1 Message

April 13th, 2017 07:00

I'm glad I saw this thread, I was about to pack the laptop up and return it for warranty work. (God knows what they would have really ended up doing)

This is crazy for $1800 machine.

April 14th, 2017 02:00

I am facing the same issue. Glad to see it is not a hardware problem.

Quite disturbing for a 2000€ machine ... (BIOS issues, driver issues...etc)

5 Posts

April 15th, 2017 07:00

I have the same problem. I have had my XPS15 9550 for 16 months now, and I have experienced stability problems all the time. Therefore, I tend to prefer my old (2012) Asus laptop. It is time for Dell to get its act together and make the XPS15 into a stable laptop.

1 Message

April 15th, 2017 12:00

Just purchased a XPSs 9550 and after initial updates, same problem.  

I tried to get the DEC 2016 driver under "other Versions" and use download and install it through device manager but got the message "most current version already installed" as other have reported.

But, I could add that Dec 2016 driver (20.19.15.4531) to my download list, download the "download list" and then run the downloaded file and it would set the driver back.  After a few minutes the driver reverted to the newer (flickering) driver, but the "Rollback" button was now enabled, and once I rolled it back to 20.19.15.4531, clicking the option "it did not work woth my apps" and so far (after an hour), it is remaining and no flickering.

Hope this helps - at least a workaround until a good driver is released!

5 Posts

April 15th, 2017 19:00

Yup. Bought mine eight months ago, exact same issue

No Events found!