Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

April 27th, 2017 09:00

XPS15 9550 DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE blue screen

I keep getting a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE blue screen right after Windows 10 has booted.

It always seems to happen when I move from network to network, eg. If I am working on my home WiFi network and then take my laptop to my work place I will get the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE blue screen and vice-versa.

The machine will boot fine however if I've not travelled to new network.

Any ideas, it's a really annoying problem.

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

April 27th, 2017 10:00

So, I found a program called bluescreenview and loaded the minidump file, the error appears to be being caused by ntoskrnl.exe

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

There's no mention of any file on the bluescreen. I've found the minidump files, how to I open them or submit them?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

You will need to find out some more info somehow.  One way might be to check the BlueScreen message with the square barcode.  On the bottom of the text it might mention some file involved.

For instance, when I had an Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 3165 card installed, I was showing a problem with Netwtw04.sys.

Are your getting any dump files as either Memory.dmp or mini-dump files which would be in a mini-dump folder?  Do you know how to set your system to use the smaller mini-dump files if you have not already done that.

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

The crash address is listed as ntoskrnl.exe+16bf70

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 27th, 2017 12:00

Since the kernel is not usually the cause of Blue Screens, there is probably some driver or software that isn't showing.

I am not an expert at reading dump files but if something is being pointed to which is not the cause then I look through your system for older drivers.  You can do that yourself but easier when using WinDbg to analyze the file.

If you were willing to put your dump files on OneDrive and give us a link, I would try to check them.

Otherwise, you might try disabling anything you can to see if the Blue Screens will stop.  Since you seem to believe it is related to your online activity, you might start by reinstalling your Network Adapter drivers.

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

May 3rd, 2017 14:00

Sure, here you go https://mega.nz/#!zZ50RCYD

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 3rd, 2017 15:00

Not sure to whom the file was meant, but is available on a non-encrypted site?

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

May 3rd, 2017 15:00

Sorry here it is again mega.nz/

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 3rd, 2017 16:00

OK, I am still having problems with the Debugger in the new build.  I will try an older version later, but right now it seems to point at msiscsi.sys.  You might check the file for its properties to see how old it is and what is using it.

It is probably related to some type of storage device, which might include virtual devices.

I will post back if I get any better info.

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

May 4th, 2017 02:00

The version number for msiscsi.sys on my machine is 10.0.15063.0, date modified was 18/03/2017

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

May 4th, 2017 02:00

I do have a NAS with some iscsi drives at my home location

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 4th, 2017 08:00

I don't show that driver active on my system.  I do have the driver and it is the same version as you show.

The dump analysis, which is currently unreliable due to read errors, seems to show the image of the file as version 15052 instead of 15063.  I don't suppose you would have such a version on your system?  It might have come from an Insider build, if you run those.

Because I can't get good info from your dump file, although I can from one of mine, I can't go any further.  I can't even check if any of your drivers are out of date.  We have been trying to solve the Windbg problem since the Creator's build came out but I guess no one at Dell knows why the problem is occurring.

The only way to know if the driver is being used is to check the Device Manager and look at Properties, Driver, Driver Details where it lists all drivers for the device.  Msinfo32.exe should show the driver in the Software Environment-System Drivers section.  If you open this utility, also check the problem devices section.

If it were to be something with the NAS then it would only happen at home?

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

May 5th, 2017 08:00

If I go to Device Manager and go to Storage Controllers I see a device called Microsoft iSCSI initiator, I go to properties and check the driver and it shows 15603.0

If I load msinfo32.exe and go to Software Environment-System > System Drivers section then I see no msiscsi in the list

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 5th, 2017 09:00

I do see a service with the description below but I was thinking a Service and Driver are different entities.  Because the Dump file is giving erroneous information, this may be unreliable also.

On my system, the service is stopped and has to be started manually.  You might try starting yours to see if it Blue Screens.  If you have any other dump files, please post those.

"Manages Internet SCSI (iSCSI) sessions from this computer to remote iSCSI target devices. If this service is stopped, this computer will not be able to login or access iSCSI targets. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start."

One other thing, the dump file shows your system differently that mine does.  Are you running a normal Win 10 install or something like Enterprise or a language version?

No Events found!