Highlighted
GSCP16
1 Nickel

XPS15 dpc_watchdog_violation crashes

I have this same issue, at least twice a week.  What makes it even more annoying is that after the crash, all incremental file changes are lost, so our incremental backups have to run a full 2-hour job instead of a 2-minute one.  Coupled with the screen resolution issue that makes many applications too small to read (remote desktop for one), I'm seriously regretting our first Dell purchase.  In my view, persistent crashing makes the product not fit for purpose, hopefully Dell can fix this.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

RE: XPS15 dpc_watchdog_violation crashes

Please list exact Dell model number and version of windows. Ex: Dell XPS 9550, windows 10

In the meantime.....

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

Please type Device Manager onto search box, expand Disk Drives, right click Solid -State Drive(SSD), and then update it. Hopefully there no more stop error code.  

GSCP16
1 Nickel

Thanks for helping, my laptop is an XPS 9550, running Windows 10.  When I expand Disk Drives I don't get 'Solid State SSD' instead it's 'NVMe THNSN5512GPU7 NV'.  Nevertheless I clicked to update the driver but it said the most recent driver was already installed.  Interestingly the driver date is 21/06/2006, so it's surprising that there isn't a more recent version available.  Is there a Dell driver that I can pick up somewhere?

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

Please check and see if latest windows updates are installed on system. Type Settings onto the search box, Update & Security, and then 'Check For Updates'. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required. Please don't wait later to install, click on 'Restart Now". Do the process over and over until the latest windows updates are installed on the system. Also check Update History for any failed windows updates. Keep in mind, Microsoft (windows updates) provide important drivers/ firmware for your system.

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

If system has all the latest windows update, I suggest you update the System Setup(BIOS). Please click on the link below to safety install latest BIOS version.

Update System Setup (BIOS) for a Dell Computer (Official ...

After you installed latest BIOS version, I suggest you expand System Management and then install Dell Command | Update. This Dell utility will update all drivers and firmware for your system".

How to use Dell Command | Update to update all drivers ...

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

If the system has latest windows / Dell updates but the watchdog violation error still occurred, I suggest you run the System file checker. It scan for any corrupted system files that could be causing problems and fix those corrupt files as well.

a) Press Windows key + X key at the same time, select Command prompt (Admin)

b) In the command prompt type the following command: sfc/scannow and press enter

If no corrupted system files were found , then I would suggest you try the following steps:

a) Select Command prompt (Admin)

b) In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command....  

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

Also....

Run diagnostic tool to check hardware on the system. Please follow steps below.

1. Power off system. Remove all peripherals except AC adapter.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In the boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click on it. After quick tests, click on hard drive, and then Thorough Test Mode. Report back any error code.

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

Lastly,

If there is no error code, please type troubleshooting onto [Cortana] search box, and then run the Bluescreen troubleshooter.

Using the Blue Screen Error (BSOD) Troubleshooter in ...

Please click on link below for additional information about the watchdog error:

How To Fix DPC Watchdog Violation Error In Windows ...

0 Kudos
GSCP16
1 Nickel

Thanks again for your help.  I ran Windows Update and the system was already up to date.  Then I downloaded the Dell system detector which identified 3 drivers that needed updating - graphics, chipset and Intel rapid storage technology (which was the most promising one).  These were all installed, then I shut down and ran the system check processes which were all clean. I'll see how I go with this over the next week or so.

0 Kudos