This post is more than 5 years old

K

1 Rookie

• 

358 Posts

July 12th, 2017 08:00

XPS15 laptop ultra sensitive to vibrations

Hello,

I have an XPS15 laptop (it says Reg Model P56F under the XPS door at the bottom).  This laptop is extremely sensitive to vibrations, hits or jolts to its case.   For example it can be running normally, but if you drop a pen or pencil, onto the keyboard area, it will freeze.  If you have it in your lap and rotate around a chair and it bumps the edge of a desk... it will freeze.  If you bump it into anything, chances are it freezes.  Usually it freezes with a scrambled screen, sometimes portions of the scrambled bits are flickering or moving, like an old NES game that you had to blow on the cartridge before it played.  Sometimes it freezes with the screen going black (but the backlight remains on).   The only way to recover is to hold down the power button until the laptop turns off.  Then you can power it back on and wait 5 minutes at the Windows 10 Please Wait... spinning circle until you can log in again.

I've already had the laptop sent out for this issue.  It came back with an upgraded 4k touch screen.  I love the screen, its such a great, free upgrade.  But the problem persists.  It's not AS sensitive as it was when it had the regular 1920x1080 matte screen.  Before you could drop a pen NEXT to the laptop and that small of a vibration would cause the freeze.  Now you can bang on the table as much as you want, and as long as you don't touch the actual laptop, it remains operational.

It just seems like an overly fragile laptop for having SSD drive in it.  Does anyone else have this experience with the XPS15?  Could the all aluminum chassis be touching and shorting the mainboard?  Maybe the interior panels should be insulated next time.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

July 12th, 2017 22:00

Thank you for your message.

Run a hardware diagnostic by following this link http://bit.ly/2fJuGXB & while the test is in progress check if the system freezes.

Try to move the LCD back & forth & check if the issue persists.

Click on my Dell username & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

No Events found!