Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 21st, 2016 06:00

XPS15z L511z won't boot (blank screen ) and beep at any key stroke.

Hello guys,

I've done a extensive search on the internet and couldn't find any answer to my problem. I have a Dell XPS15z for quite a while. Last year my battery stoped working, and since I already had a new PC, I left it alone.

Well, I've decided to give the old friend a new shot at, so I bought a new battery, installed it and did the first 8h charge that the manual indicated. However when I first got to use it, after I pressed the power button the laptop would show signs of activity (power button led on, HD spinning, fans working), but the screen stays blank and no matter wich key I press the laptop emits a beep. If I leave it like that, after a while there are no changes at all.

So, can anyone please help me with this predicament?

Thanks in advance.

Raphael Carlos

5 Posts

April 26th, 2016 15:00

So I finally found out what's wrong. It's my video card, which means I need to replace the whole motherboard, anyway the admin may mark the thread as solved.

Thanks everyone for the help.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 21st, 2016 11:00

" but the screen stays blank and no matter wich key I press the laptop emits a beep ".

:emotion-2:

Please listen to the beeps again and then click on the link below. Report back your findings.

EDIT/ Beep Codes and PSA Diagnostic Chart

If an error occurs during startup that cannot be reported on the monitor, your computer may emit a beep code that identifies the problem. The beep code is a pattern of sounds: for example, one beep, followed by a second beep, and then a burst of three beeps (code 1-1-3) means that.....

Read More.....>>>>

en.community.dell.com/.../3624.beep-codes-and-psa-diagnostic-chart

5 Posts

April 21st, 2016 11:00

I apologise for my English, it's not my native tongue. What I meant is the beep occurs when I press any key. The laptop isn't beeping after I power it, it beeps when press any key.

2K Posts

April 22nd, 2016 06:00

Hi Raphael, 

The replacement battery on the machine, is that a Dell battery? Where did you purchase the battery from? Does the system power on and boot up with the adapter only? If you still possess the old battery, could you try booting the machine with the old battery? 

Release the static power - remove the adapter and battery and press and hold the power button for 15 seconds and then try powering on the machine with the adapter only or the battery only and check if it comes on - download the service manual if required - http://dell.to/1QrXn0h

Please connect an external monitor and check if the display comes on. Try swiveling the laptop LCD and check if the display comes on.

Run the LCD test - turn off the system and press and hold the "D" key + power button to turn on the system and it should run the LCD built in self test - see this link for more info - http://dell.to/1SkXNrG

Run the diags - Press and hold the fn key and power button to turn on the system and see if the display comes on - or leave it for a while and check if any beeps in a cycle are heard. The exact# of beeps would isolate the source of the issue.

Keep us updated.

5 Posts

April 25th, 2016 16:00

Sorry for the absence, but it was a national holiday here in Brazil and I was out of town.

You guys seem to not be able to understand me. I can't do any test, like LCD or whatever, because my screen stays blank! No point in booting pressing D, Fn or any other key.

The battery is an original Dell one, and I've released the static power before with no success. And I also can't connect an external monitor because I cannot boot the laptop.

And the beeps, oh my, the laptop powers on, it lights the LED on the power button, start the fan, the LCD stays blank and THERE ARE NO BEEPS except when I press any key. Imagine a piano: you press a key, you hear a note; so does my laptop. When I press any key it beeps, the same tone for any key. And it's linked to the pressing, for as long as I hold the key the tone keeps going.

Anyway, I'm seriously considering leave it alone.

5 Posts

April 25th, 2016 16:00

There's been a new development. I tried to power the laptop again and the LCD blinked, but remainder blank, so I tried the Fn key test and it's emmitng some beeps in different tones. Is there a guide so I can check what they mean?

2K Posts

April 27th, 2016 11:00

Hi Raphael,

Thank you for the update.

Find the link for the beep codes and error messages - http://dell.to/1NAsADX

Read the Notes in Yellow for a better understanding of the beeps and how to identify the source of the issue.

If you have diagnosed the video card to have failed and the motherboard to be replaced, we could help with a paid service call if required or you could contact Dell 3rd party parts seller - http://www.parts-people.com/and order the parts through them.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!