Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 10th, 2017 02:00

XPS9560 Bios 1.2.4 bricking systems

Just a heads up I updated the BIOS and the system hung on the BIOS screen, pressing F12 or F2 resulted in the blue bar but the system didn't progress to BIOS of the boot selection screen, caps lock was responsive.

The system seemed to be soft bricked.

The way out for me and the only other person I know to update was to hold the fn key when powering up, this forced a system reboot again and it went back to windows.

As the soft brick can be reproduced by the 2nd person to update I suggest Dell pull this update and people don't update as this may render the system unusable.

102 Posts

June 7th, 2017 15:00

Glad to see Dell supports as bad as ever!

April 10th, 2017 03:00

The same here with three XPS 9560

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 12th, 2017 10:00

Thanks for the head ups and sharing your solution to fix the problem. Hopefully one the Dell reps here on the forum, see the thread and share the information to their Dell team

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Hi Cyberblade :emotion-2:

You tried GoNz0 solution ? Did it wok for you?

102 Posts

A member of the NBR forums (you get real help there) has found another way round, hold the power down for at least 25 seconds, the charging light will flash, let go and leave it alone while it resets the bios and recovers itself.

You may need to reconfigure the BIOS after as it will be in RAID mode.

102 Posts

April 19th, 2017 10:00

I would not be willing to risk downgrading to see if it happens again, 1st reason is the people on premium phone support still argue that you cannot downgrade the bios and 2nd it has taken this long for you to reply.

3rd if it did cause a non recoverable brick I would have to wait weeks for a brand new laptop or run the gauntlet with the pile of 2nd hand untested parts you supply the untrained "engineers" who come to  cause cause further damage to our laptops. Let's not go down the so called refurbished line or I will post pics of what one engineer came out with once.

Anyone who does go ahead should have Dell confirm they will replace with a new laptop if it goes wrong.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

April 19th, 2017 10:00

@Community,

Thank you for the discussion. Per your feedback, I'm wanting to obtain a couple engineering captures so that Dell can investigate this thoroughly. I'll also try and replicate this issue in house, on one of our lab systems.

If you have a 9560 with the BIOS update concern as outlined in this thread, send me a friend request. We'll work something out.

32 Posts

April 24th, 2017 12:00

I had the same issue... twice. First time I called support and they just sent me a new device. I figured the first brick was a corrupt download so updated the new machine and... same thing.  I tried holding the power button but that did not work. The FN key however worked like a charm. Kind of sad that it did... I was half looking forward to see how many new laptops I could brick in a month before Dell figured it out and took the BIOS down from their site.

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

May 12th, 2017 15:00

Just to add a 'me too', I had seen this post prior to attempting to update the BIOS of my 9560. Waited a bit to see if there were more reports or if Dell pulled the BIOS.

Decided to take a chance today and the same bad behavior happened, in that even though the update completed successfully, when the system tried to restart it hung at the Dell OEM logo. As others have stated, the Caps Lock key was responsive, and shutting down and repeating the process and tapping the F2 or F12 key appeared to indicate the system was going to enter the BIOS setup or one time boot menu respectively, but the blue progress bar stayed on the screen (at 100%) and nothing ever happened.

I eventually booted while holding down the 'Fn' key to force 'Diagnostic Boot Mode' (at least I think that was the message in yellow text in the upper right-hand corner of the screen) and then the system booted into Windows. Subsequent attempts to warn and cold boot have worked as expected.

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

May 24th, 2017 16:00

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the follow-up. To your question, no, I do not require additional assistance. The system has continued to work as expected once I used the 'Diagnostic Boot Mode' to restore function. I have accepted your friend request if you want to get any additional information from the system (motherboard revision, service tag, etc.)

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

May 24th, 2017 16:00

@Rboerner,

I understand that I'm a little late to reply but I wanted to check just in case. Do you still need assistance? I'd like to work with you on this if so. I'll send you a friend request as well.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

May 24th, 2017 18:00

Understood Rboerner. Your feedback is being used for my investigation. It is appreciated.

So far I've updated our lab's 9560 to 1.2.4 and it went just fine. I'm continuing to work on this however and will post updates when I can.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

June 7th, 2017 14:00

@Community,

As you're probably already aware 1.3.3 was released on May 12th. I haven't seen any reports of it bricking systems so far. 

1.2.4 is still available on ftp and will not be pulled. We did not find enough cases where 1.2.4 was causing issues.

Please continue to participate and leverage the Dell Community forums. You're also welcome to request engagement by Dell in the community forums by messaging us @DellCaresPro.

No Events found!