Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 25th, 2016 07:00

Xps 15 9550 Black Screen after BIOS update

I have had my machine since November I think and have never had an issue or a crash. Earlier today I updated the BIOS for the improved battery life I have been hearing about from version 1.0.05 (I think, it was not x.xx.15 it was the one before that) to the most recent x.xx.19 version. Noticed a definite improvement in battery life of about 1.5 hours however since then my machine has crashed to a black screen 4 times. When it crashes the screen turns black (Not off), and the keyboard lights light up when I use the keyboard but none of the keys are responsive. The first time after powering on my wifi would not be recognized but I restarted and that issue fixed itself. Is there anything I can do to fix this, I do not have time to send my machine in for a motherboard replacement as I code on it daily and it would be a massive pain in the *** to lose for an extended period of time.  I can provide more details if needed.

2 Posts

March 1st, 2016 09:00

I had also the same problem. To solve the problem you can download the bios version 1.1.15 and downgrade your bios. This is what I have done today after a call with Dell.

Now my laptop is running quite stable. So I think there is an issue with the bios version1.1.19.

Use the next link: www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

kind regards,

André

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 26th, 2016 08:00

" When it crashes the screen turns black (Not off), and the keyboard lights light up when I use the keyboard but none of the keys are responsive ".

:emotion-2:

I like to suggest you run the Diagnostic tool on your computer by following the steps below:

1. Turn off computer

2. Power on computer, quickly tap the F12 key continuously. You should see the Diagnostic screen.

3. Watch video below

Running Dell F12 Preboot Diagnostics

www.youtube.com/watch

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 26th, 2016 08:00

" I do not have time to send my machine in for a motherboard replacement "

:emotion-2:

Why do you already feel the system need a motherboard ? Someone told you need one and you just looking for a second opinion? By the way, do you hear a series of beeps ?

3 Posts

February 26th, 2016 10:00

I found some similar questions through the search function and people were saying that was what Dell recommended they do.

February 27th, 2016 21:00

Do you have any update to this? I think I have the exact same issue.

March 1st, 2016 15:00

Works! Thank you :)

No Events found!