Highlighted
bradyj96
1 Copper

Xps 15 9550 Black Screen after BIOS update

I have had my machine since November I think and have never had an issue or a crash. Earlier today I updated the BIOS for the improved battery life I have been hearing about from version 1.0.03 (I think) to the most recent x.xx.19 version. Noticed a definite improvement in battery life of about 1.5 hours however since then my machine has crashed to a black screen 3 times. When it crashes the screen turns black (Not off), and the keyboard lights light up when I use the keyboard but none of the keys are responsive. The first time after powering on my wifi would not be recognized but I restarted and that issue fixed itself. Is there anything I can do to fix this.

2 Replies
johnptd
3 Silver

RE: Xps 15 9550 Black Screen after BIOS update

There are a number of issues currently with the XPS 15 9550. There may be a BIOS issue, there are definitely driver issues especially related to the new TB15 dock. Download and install "WhoCrashed" from "http://www.resplendence.com/downloads". Run it and see what it comes up with as far as the cause of the crash. Sometimes it does not pinpoint a driver that might be at fault but it is worth a try. I have had BDOD's caused by the Realtek Ethernet driver for the TB15 dock. It took me several tries to get WhoCrashed to give me the answer. I had to temporarily uninstall my AV for it to finally find the culprit. If I just use WiFi now with which I have had no problems. Check to see if all your other drivers are up to date.

JohnD

0 Kudos
andre.adc
1 Copper

RE: Xps 15 9550 Black Screen after BIOS update

I have the same issue. Just got my machine last Friday and it was from minute 1 not stable. Had to delete McAfee anti virus which really messes up a whole computer. Then I had instability with Wifi (still unstable). The Thunderbolt port is suddenly dead when using it as USB 3.1 port for external storage connection. I updated the bios also to version 19 to see if this could sole instability issues. But it makes it even worse. Now like described above, suddenly the screen is dead for about 9 times today. Also one during typing this reply. I also did a full clean install of Windows 10 which does not solve any problems. So it could be indeed related to the new bios version but all other issues like described above occurred already before this update. I do hope there will be a fix soon, otherwise I think of returning a non-functional laptop. You have to pay a lot of money, but then you expect quality! Not a non-functioning bios versions or other drivers.

0 Kudos