Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

April 16th, 2016 03:00

You win some, you lose some (Intel display driver strikes again)

Well I updated to the latest BIOS (v1.2) on my XPS 15 9550 laptop and things seemed to be going good. I was now able to get my system to sleep after the assigned time. Then I ran into the old Intel HD display driver stopped responding but has successfully recovered error. not once but 10 times, 8 in less than half a minute. I had upgraded to the latest Intel driver about a week ago so I don't know what the story is now. Most of these seem to be occurring when I am scrolling horizontally across a text file or in thos latest case across an Excel spreadsheet line. I am using an external bluetooth keyboard, not the laptop's keyboard. The Bluetooth driver I have is actually one version higher than the one listed on the Dell Support website (12.0.1.731 vs 12.0.1.730). This what was installed on my system when I received it. I don't know why Dell has not released that one.

JohnD

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 28th, 2016 14:00

I replied to your other post regarding the sleep issue and asked if you noticed any other problems.  I looks like you are.  You may already have the GPU driver but if not be sure to download the Intel 20.19.15.4390 A05 driver.

Even if you have tried this driver,  I suggest uninstalling both the Intel and Nvidia drivers / reboot and then reinstall them starting with the Intel and then the Nvidia driver.  

I will be shooting you a friend request in case you continue to have problems. Please accept my friend request. 

TB

380 Posts

April 28th, 2016 15:00

Yep, I installed the latest Intel video driver a couple of weeks ago. I also had two other issues with the Intel driver:

1. Parts of the bookmark drop down menu links on my Firefox browser would be blacked out as I scrolled down them.

2. An astronomy program (Stellarium) would basically freeze the system when I tried using it.

For both programs I switched to use the NVIDIA driver and that resolved the problem. So there is something not quite right with the Intel driver.

JohnD

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 29th, 2016 16:00

What process did you use to switch to the NVidia driver? Where you changing the profile to High Performance in Optimus settings or where you using some other method?  When you notice the problems with the Intel drivers are you using the AC adapter or just battery or does either make a difference?

I don't have any information on when a updated Intel driver will become available, if one becomes available. As long as you aren't relying on battery only you can probably just leave the settings for the Nvidia driver.

It is unlikely but possible that they may be a defect in the system board affecting the integrated Intel HD, I have sent you a friend request, if you are interested in a possible service please accept my request.

TB

380 Posts

April 30th, 2016 06:00

Hi Terry,

Yes I used the NVIDIA Control Panel software (Manage 3D Settings section) to assign the High Performance settings to the two programs I had issues with. I am normally plugged into AC power but I think I had the browser problem under battery power as well. I am not sure if this would be a MB problem as a number of people have been reporting the same "video driver has stopped responding but has recovered" issue.

However I reset the astronomy program (Stellarium) and my browser to either use the automatic video driver setting or the integrated driver setting and they seem to be working now under the updated Intel driver. It seems like the last update fixed the issues I was having with them. But I had a string of errors about 2 weeks ago (that was about a week after I installed the latest Intel driver) within a very short period of time. The Windows 10 Reliability Report references a "Hardware error" with this additional information: "LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_igdkmd64.sys". That seems to indicate the "TDR Delay" issue that I have seen associated with the "video has stopped responding........" error.

I had one other "hardware" message in the Reliability Report regarding the "Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller".

Here is a complete list of the flurry of errors (LiveKernelEvents) I had a few weeks ago related to the Intel driver: They were either Code 117 or 141.

1. "LKD_0x117_Tdr:9_IMAGE_igdkmd64.sys"

2. "LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_igdkmd64.sys"

3. "LKD_0x117_Tdr:9_IMAGE_igdkmd64.sys"

4. "LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_igdkmd64.sys"

5. "LKD_0x117_Tdr:9_IMAGE_igdkmd64.sys"

6. "LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_igdkmd64.sys"

7. "LKD_0x117_Tdr:9_IMAGE_igdkmd64.sys"

8. "LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_igdkmd64.sys"

9. "LKD_0x117_Tdr:9_IMAGE_igdkmd64.sys"

JohnD

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 2nd, 2016 11:00

If i understand this correctly,  you adjusted the setting in your browser and in Stellarium, and after the last updates the error messages have stopped, is this correct?  I am curious if Optimus and the power settings on the system had anything to do with the errors.  If you don't mind keep an eye on the system and if no errors return great, but if they do return note if you are running under battery or not and let me know. 

I thank you for the updates and hopefully you will not have to mess with the error messages anymore. 

TB

380 Posts

May 5th, 2016 05:00

Hi Terry,

I have not received any Intel Display Driver crashes in almost 3 weeks (those are the errors I listed above). Stellarium seems to be working fine under the newer Intel driver. Stellarium is a heavy user of OpenGL so the new driver may have fixed that. I have seen issues again with my browser's bookmark menu links. Sometimes sections become blanked out. So I had to revert that back to the NVIDIA driver. Most of the time I am running under AC power.

JohnD

EDIT: Well I spoke too soon. I was scrolling along a line of text in my text editor using a bluetooth keyboard and I received another "display stopped responding but recovered" message. ???

Desktop Windows Manager stopped working

Fault Module Name: igd10iumd64.dll

Fault Module Version: 20.19.15.4390

==============================================================================

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.10586.0, time stamp: 0x5632d756
Faulting module name: igd10iumd64.dll, version: 20.19.15.4390, time stamp: 0x56c6378a
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000236ca7
Faulting process id: 0x2f0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1a6544c3811db
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwm.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\igd10iumd64.dll
Report Id: 5fee986b-6d87-47e5-af4f-2ff9dbbc702d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
==============================================================================

No Events found!