Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2009 00:00

advise for labtop battery using

Dear all

my question is in the office we use labtop for more than 12 or 14 hours continously is it better to disconnect the battery from it and depend only on the electric plug or it doesnt matter & we can use both with no harm

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 22nd, 2009 04:00

It is  better to remove the battery when the notebook is used as a desktop.

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

April 22nd, 2009 05:00

Connected or Disconnected when on AC Power?

Things to consider if:

You are removing the battery while on AC power:
Pros:
• Preserves charge cycles
• Keeps the battery temperature lower thus slowing the aging process
Cons:
• Lose the battery as backup power during power outages and voltage drops
• Unsaved work will be lost and data may be corrupted without backup power
• UPS (uninterruptible power supply) needed to serve as backup power source

You are leaving the battery connected while on AC power:
Pros:
• Battery serves as backup power during power outages and voltage drops
• More convenient for “grab-and-go” use
• Battery doesn’t require sufficient warming time (as it would after being stored in the refrigerator)
Cons:
• Loss of charge cycles
• Battery’s temperature is higher on AC power resulting in accelerated aging

April 22nd, 2009 05:00

Dear ronss

according to your information its better for  the battery age and for all the labtop to remove the battery but it will be dangerius from the side of information

amay correct understanding & if so can you pls be more detailed in tne side of removing battery so more technical information i will be so grate full

BESt Regards

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

April 23rd, 2009 00:00

when it comes down to it,,,you get all kind of debates on how to use the laptop linthium battery...my thoughts on keeping your laptop battery,,,info i have gathered from this article i posted, and others......if running the laptop on ac power.,,,,remove the battery and store in a cool place, like refrigerator.,,and not in the freezer...around 40 farienhient. and if possible, batter at 40 percent charge....you can find   a lot of info here-

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo.htm

Simple Guidelines

• Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.
  • Batteries with fuel gauge (laptops) should be calibrated by applying a deliberate full discharge once every 30 charges. Running the pack down in the equipment does this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate and in some cases cut off the device prematurely. 
  • Keep the lithium-ion battery cool. Avoid a hot car. For prolonged storage, keep the battery at a 40% charge level. 
  • Consider removing the battery from a laptop when running on fixed power. (Some laptop manufacturers are concerned about dust and moisture accumulating inside the battery casing.)
  • Avoid purchasing spare lithium-ion batteries for later use. Observe manufacturing dates. Do not buy old stock, even if sold at clearance prices. 
  • If you have a spare lithium-ion battery, use one to the fullest and keep the other cool by placing it in the refrigerator. Do not freeze the battery. For best results, store the battery at 40% state-of-charge. 

No Events found!