Highlighted
driver52
1 Copper

another "my laptop will not recognize new HD" question

I have a D830, Windows 7 32 bit, BIOS A17, 80G HD. I am trying to install a new HD I purchased from DELL (Manufacturer Part# : XJ8VM Dell Part# : 342-3146) that, according to the service tag # I apply at their site, is a recommended drive. It is a 320G, 7200rpm SATA serial drive. The first drive I purchased came up "Fail" in the diagnostics. Contacted DELL who verified that the drive was defective and finally, after 9 days, a replacement is here. Installed that drive and I get the same indication, "no bootable device recognized...." sort of thing. What am I doing wrong?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
laserman778
3 Silver

RE: another "my laptop will not recognize new HD" question

This sounds like it could be a motherboard problem. Go ahead and try the drive in another computer if you have the ability to.

-Brandon

Forum Member Since 2010
I, like others, am a forum member and not an employee of Dell

0 Kudos
driver52
1 Copper

No other DELL computer available (I have an ASUS but doubt this drive will work in that one).
BUT, the current, OE, 80G drive works just fine. I can take that out, plug it back in with no problems. 
I do have a SATA/ITE Hard Drive reader coming (just one of those inexpensive things I thought I should have if I'm going to teach myself about all this I guess). Can I take that reader, plug this new drive into it, and connect to this laptop (however) to test this new drive?
It has been suggested I update the BIOS and check the power to the board. As near as I can tell the current BIOS, A17, is the best I can do or is what is available. And the power must be good or the current drive would not work, correct?
I am a novice but want to learn so any help is appreciated. Lots of stuff online but sorting through some of that is mind boggling to say the least.
Thanks.

0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you for reaching us.

Does the replacement HD pass the diagnostics? Does it allow you to complete the Windows reinstallation?

Please respond in the same thread.

Thank you

Dell-Gokul G
Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell
Order Status
Download Drivers

0 Kudos
driver52
1 Copper

Update...as I sat here this morning, the SATA reader came. Hooked up to the new drive, nada. I see the Local C; drive and the CD/DVD drive but nothing else. Out of curiosity, I hooked up the other "new" drive which I had not yet returned. Again, nada.
But, while I was going through all this, I remembered another drive I had kept from a D820 that went bad motherboard/power wise (I bought this D830 for $50 with W7 and other features. It was cheaper than repairing the D820). Hooked that up to the reader and LO, that drive shows up.
SO, does that mean I have a 2nd bad drive sent to me by DELL?

0 Kudos
driver52
1 Copper

OK...don't see this part...

Update to the previous update...
After seeing the old HD via the reader, I installed it in this same laptop and it works just fine.

So am I to conclude that DELL did indeed send a 2nd defective HD?

0 Kudos