Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 21st, 2015 22:00

audio plays out of laptop instead of headphones

my laptop will not play out of headphones when i plug them in is says "you just plugged a device into the audio jack." but it plays sounds out of the laptop please help me

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 22nd, 2015 17:00

A Realtek audio driver version 6.0.1.6788 A03 is buggy --fails to sense headphones plugged in the jack after a restart. The previous version works okay, Realtek 6.0.1.6690

This affects these Inspiron models: 15 3521, 15R 5521, 17 3721, 17R 5721, and also Vostro 2521

To install the older driver first remove the current one. Open the Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc into the Windows search box), then expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

Right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio" and select to uninstall. Put a check mark in the option to delete the files, and then ok. When you reboot, Windows will either install its own native driver or another Realtek driver if there were any other versions on the hard drive. So go back to the Device Manager and check for a Realtek driver. Keep uninstalling & rebooting until Realtek no longer appears under Sound Controllers. When you see "High Definition Audio Device" (the native Windows driver) in place of "Realtek High Definition Audio", download and install the older Realtek 6.0.1.6690 driver.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/inspiron-15r-5521?driverId=YW1FJ&fileId=3159568474&osCode=W864

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 4th, 2015 08:00

When you say reboot, do you mean restart

Hello. Yes, sorry for vague wording.

Also how many times would I have to uninstall and reboot?

Each time you download and unzip an audio driver from Dell, a new folder with the driver files is created on the hard drive, in the location shown on the left side of this screen shot:

[Note that both audio drivers and the other drivers are in the main Drivers folder.] One audio driver folder is removed for each time you perform the removal process, so I guess a formula would be something like:

Once to remove the factory pre-installed audio driver,

plus as many times as the number of audio drivers you have downloaded and unzipped,

minus the numbers of times the driver files have been previously removed.

Note that if you fail to check the box "remove (or delete) the driver software" the folder will not be removed and when you restart the same identical driver will be rebuilt from the files in the folder.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 4th, 2015 12:00

I downloaded the file, unzipped it, and then - no where to install it! 

I don't understand. After you download the driver package to your desktop or wherever, you click or double click it to open the unzip wizard. The wizard will already have the default location in it and after you accept it (click okay to create the folder) the package will unzip to the default location and automatically install the driver.

If the driver does not install after unzipping the package to the default location then browse to the folder where you uninstalled it and click on the setup.exe file to manually install the driver.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 22nd, 2015 03:00

my laptop will not play out of headphones when i plug them in

Hello. What is the full model name of your laptop and which operating system is it using?

2 Posts

February 22nd, 2015 09:00

its a insprion 3521 and running windows 8

3 Posts

March 3rd, 2015 19:00

When you say reboot, do you mean restart (just checking if they are the same thing)?

Also how many times would I have to uninstall and reboot? I've already tried once and it didn't work.

3 Posts

March 4th, 2015 10:00

Thank you! I managed to get rid of the Realtek driver.

Now I'm at the last stage where I tried to reinstall realtek from the link you provided. I downloaded the file, unzipped it, and then - no where to install it! 

3 Posts

March 4th, 2015 13:00

Thank you! I had to click setup.exe. 

I successfully installed it, restarted the computer and...still have the same problem. Maybe it's another problem.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 4th, 2015 19:00

still have the same problem. Maybe it's another problem.

You can test it by switching to the Windows native driver.

1. Open the Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc in the Windows search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart.
[To get back to the Realtek driver,  do it again but reverse the names in steps 1 and 6.]

If the headphones work with the native driver but not with the Reaktek driver, then the fault is in the Realtek driver. But if the headphones do not work with the native driver then probably hardware failure.

No Events found!