Highlighted

audio problem when earphone/head phone is connected to 3.5mm audio jack

hi 

im using dell inspiron 15-3521 whenever i connect earphone/headphone to my laptops jack only the left side of the speaker work right side has no sound (inbult laptop speaker works fine).my friend asked me to download (0005-Win7_Win8_Win81_Win10_R279) driver from realtek web site and  I installed it and the problem was solved and this was about 6 to 7 months back

but now im facing the same problem i did the same what i did last time  i downloded and re installed the driver but of no use the problem still presists.

so plz guide me what to do to solve the problem.

thank you

umesh.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Jim Coates
Diamond

RE: audio problem when earphone/head phone is connected to 3.5mm audio jack

Test by switching between the Realtek audio driver and the Windows native audio driver.

1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart.
[To get back to the Realtek driver, do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

If it still does not work correctly when the native driver is installed, then the hardware in the headphone jack has failed.

But if the same problem is there with the native driver then you should install a different version of the Realtek driver. I might be able to direct you to one but would need to know which operating system you are using.

Jim Coates -- 14 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

finally after months on not being able to use by xps 13 for skype or gotomeeting calls, you have fixed the audio problems!!!

0 Kudos

hi sir 

I followed ur steps and installed the native driver but still facing the same problem and changed back to realtek driver but there is no change in the audio.im using win 8 64bit

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
Diamond

I followed ur steps and installed the native driver but still facing the same problem and changed back to realtek driver but there is no change in the audio.

Because you have the same symptoms with both drivers, it means that it is not a driver issue. It could be failed hardware. Run the ePSA audio test and if you don't hear the test tones from both speakers it means that the speaker has died or has a loose connection.

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
Diamond

Run the ePSA audio test and if you don't hear the test tones from both speakers it means that the speaker has died or has a loose connection.

-- CORRECTION --

Sorry, I forgot you were talking about headphones, not about the internal speakers.

The result of the driver test you performed means that it is not a driver issue, and probably there is a hardware issue involving the headphone port. Try it with different headphones and if you get the same results then most likely it is failed hardware.

If you are no longer under warranty, it will be expensive to have it repaired. A cheap workaround solution is to buy a usb audio jack and use it instead of the laptop's headphone port. A usb audio jack looks like this:

0 Kudos

Thank you very much for assesting me sir

0 Kudos
vdotson
Copper

Thank you!!!!

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
Diamond

You are welcome.

0 Kudos
vdotson
Copper

Unfortunately I had to do it again after I rebooted my PC. so it would appear that the incorrect driver is loaded at startup. Am I correct?

0 Kudos