Mingus59
1 Nickel

RE: Dell TB15 Desktop Dock - Step-by-step driver/firmware/BIOS installation instructions for XPS, Latitude and Precision notebooks

I had read this also.  I tried to replicate his findings with my setup.  I opened the dock and had a fan blowing on the unit, but my issues with display remain unchanged.

What's interesting, though, is that although video to my external monitor blacks out and it goes into sleep mode, I can still see it in the Intel graphics control panel.  It's as if the system knows it's there but loses contact with it.  This loss of video signal also crashes anything else connected to the dock.  Ethernet, audio and any other peripherals lose connection.  After several seconds, everything, including video, will reconnect.  This cycle will repeat 3-5 times until everything crashes and doesn't recover again.

In summary, for me the dock is stable without video, but unusable with.

0 Kudos
Mircolino
2 Iron

RE: Dell TB15 Desktop Dock - Step-by-step driver/firmware/BIOS installation instructions for XPS, Latitude and Precision notebooks

In summary, for me the dock is stable without video, but unusable with.

Without video the dock is a $299 USB 3.0 hub. A bit pricey... 

0 Kudos
Thysanoptera
1 Nickel

I had read this also.  I tried to replicate his findings with my setup.  I opened the dock and had a fan blowing on the unit, but my issues with display remain unchanged.

What's interesting, though, is that although video to my external monitor blacks out and it goes into sleep mode, I can still see it in the Intel graphics control panel.  It's as if the system knows it's there but loses contact with it. 

In my case the display also would turn itself off with a 'no signal' message but the screen remained attached in Windows, you could move mouse and windows on it. Same as Mingus wrote. What's different is that my screen was ok for an hour or more, and all USB devices were working fine. And I had heatsinks attached to DP and USB hub chips when blowing air.

Did someone who has issues try to power the dock with the stock laptop power adapter?

0 Kudos
chromatics
1 Nickel

I have a new TB15 and WD15 which I assume will both be set up by following the TB15 instructions.

What isn't clear is at what point during the BIOS/driver/firmware updates should I plug the TB15 in?

0 Kudos
turtounet
1 Nickel

Hi,

I've been trying for days to make my TB15 dock work with my XPS 15 9550... 

I've followed the EXACT steps for the XPS 15 9550 mentioned in the first post here, as well as many other combinations.

Final result is ALWAYS the same:

ASMedia controller is listed under the USB controller but I have another "Unknown Device" appearing.

The only "semi-working" things on the dock are the DisplayPort (except the external screen regularly blanks out) and the charging through the USB-C connector.

None of the other ports have any use at all: Ethernet is not recognized, usb ports do nothing at all except powering up the devices.

Is my dock defective? How can I further troubleshoot the issue? 

0 Kudos
natedog828
1 Copper

We need this for Windows 7 64 bit. We have a Precision 5510 and 3 XPS 13 9350's using these docks w/ Windows 7.

Step 7 – Download and Install Update for the USB audio/mouse on Dell Thunderbolt Dock and Dell Dock. Restart required.

0 Kudos
gapdev
1 Nickel

Anybody know how long it takes for them to send you an RMA?

I started the return process last week and have yet to receive an RMA.

Kenny

0 Kudos
johnptd
3 Silver

When I tried to do it online, it gave me errors (thought I had bought it outside the USA). So I called Dell directly to set up my return and the support person configured everything within about 10 minutes, sent me an e-mail with links to print the return label and other related information. I might be best to try that.

JohnD

0 Kudos
euribe
1 Nickel

I've spent fives hours trying to get the TB15 to work on my XPS 13 and I'm almost at fully functional. However, the only video port I can get to work consistently is the VGA. HDMI and the displayports are useless -- constantly disconnecting every few seconds.

Anybody have any tips for breaking down this problems. I've gone through every drivers 10 times and I'm out of ideas. I'm trying to connect to an external Dell monitor that is 1080p, 60hz refresh rate. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
bull3964
1 Nickel

After being stable for most of the week, I now can't keep my external monitor on displayport working for any more than a minute or so.

There has been zero changes to my setup.  None.

This is flat out ridiculous.  Worst still is no one at Dell has responded in a week to my RMA request.  I submitted it Sunday of last week and it's still sitting there, status unchanged.

0 Kudos