kramrengaw
2 Iron

RE: Dell TB15 Desktop Dock - Step-by-step driver/firmware/BIOS installation instructions for XPS, Latitude and Precision notebooks

I would suggest you call them instead. I did and they took care of the RMA quickly and easily. Emailed me the shipping label the next day.

0 Kudos
bull3964
1 Nickel

RE: Dell TB15 Desktop Dock - Step-by-step driver/firmware/BIOS installation instructions for XPS, Latitude and Precision notebooks

I would suggest you call them instead. I did and they took care of the RMA quickly and easily. Emailed me the shipping label the next day.

No, I'm sorry, that's unacceptable.  You don't put links to do this online and then completely ignore the tickets.  There should be zero functional difference in me calling VS doing it online.  I had something similar happen when I ordered my XPS 15.  I had originally ordered it from Dell and the ship date kept being pushed back, meanwhile I saw that the Microsoft Store had them in stock.  I submitted for a cancellation of my order and it took 12 days to actually happen.  Meanwhile, I had the computer in my hands from Microsoft 36 hours from order time even when choosing the slowest shipping.

In other news, flashing the thunderbolt firmware YET AGAIN from the command line with the /F switch seems to have returned stability to the setup.  It seems obvious at this point that the controller gets itself into a state that it can't recover from, even with a power cycle of the computer (likely because the battery is still connected so you can't really completely power cycle the computer).  However, forcing the firmware flash does cause the controller to reset which clears out whatever the problem is.  Until the source of instability is found, Dell might think of building into the drivers the ability to reset the controller on reboot of the computer or provide a troubleshooting utility to force a reset of the controller.  I'm not too thrilled about having to reflash the thing on a regular basis since I don't really know what the endurance of the NVRAM is for the controller.

So, now I'm waffling again on returning it since it seems like I can fix it rather easily and it does give me hope that it can be fixed permanently.  So, maybe the delay in RMA is a good thing right now.

0 Kudos
kramrengaw
2 Iron

I have no affiliation with Dell, and honestly don't care one way or another. I agree with your sentiment and also agree that it is ridiculous and both methods should work equally well. All that said, you can wait, be mad, and right, or just call and get your problem solved....

0 Kudos
meyers980
1 Copper

Just adding what I've seen.

Running XPS 15 9550 that I received two weeks ago. Got a TB15 this morning. Followed the instructions from the first post in this thread with full shut downs between each driver. My setup: Dell monitor using mDP, a USB 3 external drive, USB 3 dock with mouse/keyboard plugged in.

Have not had any random black screens or BSOD, restarts, etc. Been running fine. The fan is on constantly though as noted. Longest I've had the machine running is about 2 hours. During that session, the thunderbolt was charging the laptop. Boot time seems about the same as before. 

I did notice that booting up and then plugging the dock in locked the laptop screen up once. Booting up with the dock already plugged in multiple times hasn't caused any problems yet. Also, during bootup, sometimes my usb devices have power. Other times, they don't. Not sure what that's about.

I have NOT used Ethernet...not available in my location so I can't comment on that. Final note: I moved a file to an external drive plugged into the dock. I KNOW it was there. After a reboot it was gone. This hasn't happened again with many test files and may be completely anecdotal. 

0 Kudos
xKloc
1 Nickel

Same issue as everyone here. I have an XPS 15 and two U2414H hooked up to the dock via DP (daisy chained). It will only work for a few seconds before the screens go black and the dock doesn't show up in the attached devices.

Right now I have my screens hooked to the laptop directly via HDMI, because the dock is unusable. 

My productivity has gone way down since it arrived, because I've spend hours trying to get it to work properly.

I've reinstalled all the driver listed in order with reboots and that did nothing for me.

0 Kudos

So what do we do if we were an early adopter of the TB15 and installed all the drivers/firmware updates early and "out of order"? I still have a non-fully functional dock.

0 Kudos
kramrengaw
2 Iron

As long as you are within 30 days of purchase, return it for a refund. That's what I did.

0 Kudos
pr3dL
1 Copper

Hey everybody,

i have received my two TB15 docks today and i have at both docks the periodically disconnects (Black screen, no mouse & kb, ...)with my XPS15, i have allready tried out all the hints from here without any success.

BUT I have accidentally found a strange behavior, if i enlarge the distance between the notebook and the dock it works without any issue! If the notebooks stand direct in the front from the dock i have the disconnects! Is it possible that one of the radio units (WLAN, BT) disturbs the dock?

I have added a picture that describs the "strange behavior".

0 Kudos
llololjio
1 Nickel

Does the fan noise issue still occur? Or has that been fixed with 'fine tuned' fan curves the Dell rep talked about on the first page?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
bull3964
1 Nickel

Does the fan noise issue still occur? Or has that been fixed with 'fine tuned' fan curves the Dell rep talked about on the first page?

No driver and firmware updates have been released since then, so there's been no change.

At this point I would settle for a way to reset the Thunderbolt Controller without having to force reflash the firmware since that seems like the only way I can get the thing to behave after it gets itself into a state where it doesn't want to connect.

0 Kudos