Highlighted
Not applicable

RE: Dell TB15 Desktop Dock - Step-by-step driver/firmware/BIOS installation instructions for XPS, Latitude and Precision notebooks [UPDATED 04-22-16]

I returned my TB15 and XPS15 at the same time due to these issues.  I only bought the XPS15 due to the ability to dock at work and home with one cable so it didn't make sense to keep the laptop without the dock.

I'm considering the HP Studio G3, but it's been 40 days and Dell still hasn't refunded my money for the laptop.  I've called and they said it would be expedited and paid within 5 days.  That was 6 days ago and still no refund.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

RE: Dell TB15 Desktop Dock - Step-by-step driver/firmware/BIOS installation instructions for XPS, Latitude and Precision notebooks [UPDATED 04-22-16]

Well put ANDYGOES

If not for the critical nature of this the 5510 would have been returned by me and I'd probably have gone for the HP Z3 which apparently is another very quick fully specified Laptop in this format (though I gather from a later report it does run a bit hot underneath)

The Z3 thunderbolt docks are not yet available - at least not in Switzerland. Maybe they suffer the same software problems, I guess the hardware for thunderbolt is not that different.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Today I got a new TB15 replacement, installed everything there is to install including Windows and it took whole 4 minutes before the external display started to go on and off. So the new dock did not help at all. When I connect the dock to my XPS 13, the XPS is quite warm near the connector and the fan is going quite loud.

Tomorrow I call the support service again. Maybe this time they'll send me a new XPS...

Or maybe I'll have my money back and find something that works.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

The dock seems to have vanished from Dell's site today; the product pages for both versions (180 and 240w) have disappeared. I guess they are pulling the plug. I am very worried since mine is out of return period and still does not work. I hope they don't stop updating the drivers, but I bet that's exactly what will happen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

My collegue and I have had all troubles discussed in this thread and banging our heads against the wall for the last week and a half and we finally found our source of error yesterday.

We have one 7370 and one Precision 7510.

We had Citrix Receiver 4.4 installed and it somehow breaks a whole bunch of stuff related to USB 3 ports in general.

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/receiver/windows/4-4/receiver-windows-44-about/receiver-for-windows-4-4-fixed-issues.html

After uninstalling Citrix Receiver everything just started working again.

Hope this helps someone atleast.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Called the support when the new dock did not work either and now they want to change motherboard of my XPS 13. Nice to be without a laptop for 2-3 weeks

This is going to be the last Dell ever for me.

The fact that the just removed TB15 from their webpages without giving any explanation is just ridiculous. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

They wanted to change my MB too.  Not sure what your issues are . . . mine were primarily Ethernet connectivity.  I got a new WD15 - turned off wifi - and the Ethernet works perfectly.  So does the dock too.  It was not my MB and probably not your MB that is the problem.  They give you a used MB and I did not want that unless it truly was the MB.  If it was my MB it would still have problems even after I disabled Wii but it does not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I was doing a few linkedin searches to see if i could find someone expert on these docks to talk to at Dell. However, i noticed that the engineer/architect who chose the components for TB15/WD15 left Dell in March. Coincidence? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I too had many of the issues listed on my XPS 13.  I finally got everything to work by doing a fresh install of Windows 10, installing the drivers as listed at the beginning of this page followed by all the Dell XPS 13 drivers to get everything working.  I then installed the Asus Asmedia driver listed on this page https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/440olx/if_your_thunderbolt_dock_isnt_working/?sort=new and finally plugged the dock in.  Everything worked until it got hot and started dropping the USB ports.  I now have a small desk fan blowing on the dock and since then it has worked fine.  I did all of this Monday and it has worked flawlessly since then. 

Hopefully this will help some of you.  If I discover anything else I will post here. 

Also a "High level" tech is now emailing me almost daily with "updates" through my enterprise account.  I will also post if anything worth while comes from him. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

So I have a TB15 at work and a WD15 at home to go with my XPS 15 9550 running Windows 10 Pro 64bit. Some things work and others don't, which is to say that these products aren't ready for prime time. I've done all the updates as described here. And as far as I can tell, the steps/files for the WD15 are the same as the TB15 except for the ASMedia USB 3.0 driver. After messing with this for a while, I now have a "USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10" in addition to the "USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0"

What works with TB15:

1. Dual Dell Ultrasharp 27 monitors at 2560x1440 @ 59Hz. One via mDP, one via DP.
  2. A Dell USB keyboard plugged into TB15 + Logitech mouse with nano receiver.
  3. Audio jack works.
  4. I can't hear the fan, but that may be due to my office environment.
  5. No excessive heat issues.

What doesn't work with TB15:

1. Ethernet jack. As soon as I plug in an ethernet cable, the screens go blank.
  2. I keep the lib on the XPS closed. Sometimes, waking from sleep via the button on the TB15 works, sometimes it doesn't. If I lift the lid and wait for the screen to come back, my external monitors will work again.
  3. Any time the monitors blank out, of course all my open windows move to my primary monitor upon returning, making me reposition everything again.

What works on the WD15:

1. Dual monitors via HDMI and VGA
  2. Ethernet works (seems stable if I keep the lid open on the XPS).
  3. Charging the XPS seems fine.
  4. Audio/headphone jack works
  5. I hear the fan, but it doesn't seem too loud.
  6. No excessive heat issues.

What doesn't work on the WD15:

1. Can't get wired or wireless mice or keyboards to work. They work fine when directly plugged into the XPS.
  2. With lid closed, ethernet drops out about about 2 minutes, then connects and drops every 10-15 seconds. With lid open, ethernet connection seems stable so far.

I don't have any USB 3.0 devices to test the ports fully. The fact that a regular mouse and keyboard don't seem to on the USB port is enough for me to give up on the USB ports.

One other note:

https://www.dell.com/Support/Article/us/en/04/SLN301075

Dell clearly states that the DisplayPort over USB Type-C standard/cable (WD15) is different from the Thunderbolt over USB Type-C cable (TB15), but both seem to require pretty much the same drivers. The Thunderbolt software does not recognize the WD15 for obvious reasons.

Bottom line: Both the TB15 and WD15 are just very expensive ways to pump dual monitors with your XPS. Not much else works worth a ***.

I do have a coworker that is pushing three monitors with his TB15, 2 of which are 4k monitors running at 60Hz. At least that seems to work.