Highlighted
2 Bronze

RE: Dell TB15 Desktop Dock - Step-by-step driver/firmware/BIOS installation instructions for XPS, Latitude and Precision notebooks [UPDATED 04-22-16]

Since 04/28/2016, Dell has NOT added new drivers for the TB15. I am ABSOLUTELY flabbergasted. There are numerous articles on reddit, and across this forum as well among others, of people complaining. This is infuriating that they have just abandoned their own useless product. IT DOES NOT WORK DELL. 

I have about had it with Dell. I feel like suing them to death. With all my notes, recorded calls, their epic emails, and all the other reddit threads, it's enough to showcase Dell's incompetence and laziness. I have had it with their awful customer service, their four hour long service calls, all the dropping of calls, and them transferring you with 20+ minute hold times. I have HAD it. I am done with Dell. I'm going to file a BBB complain to return my paper weight. I am done with them

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

RE: Dell TB15 Desktop Dock - Step-by-step driver/firmware/BIOS installation instructions for XPS, Latitude and Precision notebooks [UPDATED 04-22-16]

My enterprise rep told me yesterday that a revised model with the issue fixed is being worked on and everyone who received a faulty unit will be getting the replacement when it is available.  

My XPS 13 is with the TB15 is still working perfect.  To make this happen I did a fresh install of Windows 10, followed the guide in the OP and then installed the Asus Asmedia driver which I have linked previously.  This combined with a small fan blowing on the dock has resulted in the behavior you would expect from the dock.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

My enterprise rep told me yesterday that a revised model with the issue fixed is being worked on and everyone who received a faulty unit will be getting the replacement when it is available.  

My XPS 13 is with the TB15 is still working perfect.  To make this happen I did a fresh install of Windows 10, followed the guide in the OP and then installed the Asus Asmedia driver which I have linked previously.  This combined with a small fan blowing on the dock has resulted in the behavior you would expect from the dock.  

Mine worked for a couple of months with the fan, but eventually the DP port stopped working after an hour or so of use driving a 4K monitor even with the fan. Maybe its just getting hotter in the office now that it is summer. I've been told the same thing about an updated version so just waiting for that at this point. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Well, I found a solution that works for me. I called Dell (UK) and asked them since, like everyone else who has a TB15 running with an XPS-15 9550 I haven't been able to get it to work and they'd apparently now discontinued it, what was the plan? After a bit of discussion with superiors etc. they said I could have a refund or wait for a replacement unit to be introduced and have one of them. As they weren't able to give me any idea at all of when that might be, I went for the refund and it was collected next day.

So now I have the following setup:

Attached to the XPS-15, I have a Pluggable USB-C to DP cable running to my 4K monitor, Dell P2415Q. I don't have a second monitor, but I seem to remember another post saying that cable would support a daisy-chain to a another one.

I also have a small Anker 4-port USB hub. One of the ports from this goes to a powered 8-port hub (also Anker) out of the way under my desk. Among other things this has an Anker USB to Ethernet adapter (you've guessed it - I love Anker bits and pieces) and a Pluggable USB Audio Adapter, which is good enough quality for my needs most of the time.

So I've covered everything I need, with only two cables plus power to unplug when I want to go mobile. My desk is a delight without the TB15 brick and its short cable that forced me to have cables everywhere.

The downside of course is that I don't have the impressive (if they work) Thunderbolt functions. I also need to change the sound source from the USB adapter to built-in when I go mobile. For me, it's a satisfactory solution for now, at least better than turning computer, monitor and TB15 on and off every time something dropped out. Most of the components I added were also fairly inexpensive.

It's a pity - the TB15 would be a great piece of kit if it worked and was designed more thoughtfully. Maybe if something does come up in the future, I'll give it a try (after checking the forum!).

Finally, I'd like to say that I've bought a lot of equipment from Dell for business purposes over the years and I've always been a fan - well designed equipment at reasonable prices with good support. It was sobering to see from this experience how things have changed. I recognise the dangers of going for leading-edge technology, but that's quite different from being a guinea pig for unfinished designs. I'm appalled that Dell would release an item that was so obviously not market-ready. And for those of you in the US who complained about such an expensive item not working, count yourself lucky. In the UK, it lists for around $500. Once again, customers in overseas markets are being ripped off.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Everything is working fine at the moment. Admittedly it's early days, but all the components are tried and tested so I'm pretty confident it will stay that way. YMMV

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Does anyone have any experience with the WD15? Definitely a trade-off with video but maybe it works?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Nope. Constant USB3 problems for me with WD15. Nothing works connected to those ports.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Well more fortunate then most, I'm still having issues. I can only use the HDMI and mini DV ports with anything that resembles reliability. If the external displays go to sleep at all, the mini DV port will randomly blink on/off. I'm able to live with it (at the moment), because I can have Windows disconnect the monitor and then revert the change back in order for it to go away. Of course, I then have to move all my windows back to their previous monitor.

For the $300 I paid, Dell really ought to be calling all customers with a replacement option.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi, may I ask did you contact the order support or the technical support? I tried contacting the technical support online and the website asked me to enter my service tag or express service code. But it couldn't find the product with either of my codes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I had the same experience. This is the product that time forgot, and it looks as though Dell are trying to pretend it was all a bad dream.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

From my experience the Service Tag is not the number you need to provide as these units do not get logged under that code.

The number that you need to log the call under is the Express Service Code and reference the PPID

I have no idea why there is a different logging method for the TB15 but that is definitely the means  employed in my case.

tj