HCCom
1 Copper

RE: Dell TB15 Desktop Dock - Step-by-step driver/firmware/BIOS installation instructions for XPS, Latitude and Precision notebooks [UPDATED 07-28-16]

I have Precision 5510, and TB15. After plugging the TB15 dock (without any other devices attached to the dock) to the laptop, the fan is switched on strongly, and it is really noisy. Is there anyway to get rid of this?

Thanks

http://dautruongthu.net

http://caiwintaihanoi.com Website cung cấp dịch vụ cài win tại nhà số 1 Hà Nội

0 Kudos
dragon_788
1 Nickel

RE: Dell TB15 Desktop Dock - Step-by-step driver/firmware/BIOS installation instructions for XPS, Latitude and Precision notebooks [UPDATED 07-28-16]

This may be because the laptop can now run in high performance mode rather than low power mode. You can try changing the power settings to remain at balanced or quiet in the Dell Precision Performance Optimizer or the Dell Power Settings.

0 Kudos
sunta
1 Nickel

new BIOS out there, beta-test against customers continue.

crossing fingers another time

0 Kudos
kylemorris
1 Nickel

My dock was working fine for roughly two months and then started acting up again.  Thankfully I work in an IT position and have quite a bid of hardware at my disposal.  We just received an order of HP Thunderbolt docks a few days ago so I tried one...literally plug and play.  Everything is working 100%.  Not only does it work, but it is smaller, looks better, and produces no heat.  I currently have it mounted to the back of my monitor stand for a nice cable free desk other than the cable going to the dock and still no heat issues.  Just throwing that out there for anyone who is sick of fighting with the dell.  

On another note I have no t received the promised weekly updates on the situation from Dell that I was promised.  I have given up all hope of getting a working dock from them any time soon.  

They are discontinuing their E-Docks this year so they better get something figured out quick. 

0 Kudos
Wiktork
1 Nickel

Kyle, which HP Thunderbolt docks have you bought?

This one has very poor reviews on HP site store.hp.com/.../hp-elite-thunderbolt-3-65w-dock and no reviews on Amazon :-/

Dell products recently have been a constant source of pain for me (I've got two 9530s and the TB dock)...

0 Kudos
kylemorris
1 Nickel

I was incorrect by saying it was their Thunderbolt dock.  It is actually their USB-C dock.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/business-solutions/hp-elite-usb-c-docking-station-t3v74ut-aba

may not carry data as fast but I have my XPS 13 running at 4K and 2 1080P monitors attached to the dock as well as an external hard drive, webcam, and desk phone with no issues.  I use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.  

terminaljunkie
1 Nickel

BIOS Update breaks my Dell 5510

Hardware

Dell 5510

WD15 Dock

Steelseries wired keyboard

Logitech MX Series Wireless Mouse

2 * 23" LG IPS Monitors

Firmware:      Precision_5510_1.2.13

Symptoms

Works initially but after a random period my wireless mouse stops working or my keyboard just hangs up. This is with a Wired Ethernet only - Wireless is currently disabled. This does not happen with Firmware release V1.2.10

I cannot get them back other than via a reboot.

Back to Precision_5510_1.2.10 firmware for me until they release another (supposedly stable) BIOS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
GaryW1972
1 Nickel

What's happened to the Dell Dock Firmware Update tool? Will it have to be run on every dock individually? I don't fancy wandering around every single dock to do a manual update.

The above is all fine, but what if you're using SCCM to roll out drivers via SCUP? The latest catalog does not have the right installable rules for an XPS 9550 and still tries to install old firmware and drivers (so I expect Dell Command | Update will suffer from the same problem as it uses the same catalog).

This is particularly bad with a laptop that's had its firmware upgraded to 16, but SCCM will only allow it to install the v15 drivers.

To say I've got a lot of  users extremely annoyed at constant blue screens would be an understatement.

0 Kudos
Waltteri
1 Nickel

Earlier this year I was promised that Dell will develop a new dock for XPS laptops. They also promised that I can get one of those new docks when ever it is released. Yesterday I asked about the status of the new dock and I was told that there is not going to be one.

So Dell will never make a new dock for XPS laptops. There will not be a dock for USB-C port, ever.

The funny part is that I have waited for the new dock so long that I can't return my dock to the retailer anymore and the reason for waiting is the promise of getting the new dock.

0 Kudos
bikeoid
1 Nickel

> There will not be a dock for USB-C port, ever.

This is shocking - someone mentioned the HP Thunderbolt, but the reviews there look as dismal as for the Dell dock.   It would be interesting to see the media pick up on the issue now; is there a fundamental design problem that prevent a successful implementation?   The media printed story after breathless story about the coming of Thunderbolts after the January CES.   The techie sites should be interested in a real world followup.

0 Kudos