lukemoonctT
1 Copper

RE: Dell TB15 Desktop Dock - Step-by-step driver/firmware/BIOS installation instructions for XPS, Latitude and Precision notebooks

Thanks for your effort. i found what I was looking for

0 Kudos

RE: Dell TB15 Desktop Dock - Step-by-step driver/firmware/BIOS installation instructions for XPS, Latitude and Precision notebooks

Thanks for the updates.   I'm working with the engineering team on these docks and will certainly make them aware of your posts above.   I'll respond with further information as I have it.

A couple comments for now:

- For the fan noise, they are working to fine tune fan curves and thunderbolt chipset power management.   You'll see updates in future releases of the BIOS that should improve/resolve this.

- On the intermittent connectivity issues, please double check that all drivers, firmware and BIOS actually did update.   The easiest way to check driver version is from the desktop.   Right click on the start icon and then left click on Programs and and Features.   The driver version will be off the screen to the right but you can adjust column width to fit everything.   Compare this to the list posted in the first item in this thread to verify.   You can check BIOS version by running MSINFO32.   It might even be worth first uninstalling each driver, rebooting and then installing and rebooting in the required order.   I've seen situations where loading a newer driver over an older driver doesn't always work properly - some residual items must have remained behind from the older driver.   It should go without saying, but make sure you've downloaded all required drivers to your desktop before uninstalling network drivers and losing connectivity.

One other thing that I've seen personally and was also mentioned above - after updating everything, shut down your system and then power down/unplug the dock from both the system and the power source.   Then reconnect everything and power it back up.   

Thanks.

johnptd
2 Iron

I sent mine back Monday. Hopefully Dell will get things squared away with the BIOS, firmware, driver, and heat issues so it can become a viable product. At that point I will look at it again. Thanks for everyone who posted comments here to keep us up to date.

JohnD

0 Kudos
bull3964
1 Copper

On the intermittent connectivity issues, please double check that all drivers, firmware and BIOS actually did update.   The easiest way to check driver version is from the desktop.   Right click on the start icon and then left click on Programs and and Features.   The driver version will be off the screen to the right but you can adjust column width to fit everything.   Compare this to the list posted in the first item in this thread to verify.   You can check BIOS version by running MSINFO32.

It's worth it to note that I had done this prior to uninstalling everything and then re-installing.  All driver numbers did match up properly.  All BIOS and firmware claimed they were up to date.

I can't be sure what fixed the majority of my problems, if it was the uninstall and re-install in a particular order or if it was re-running the thunderbolt firmware update with the /f switch or if it was even the clean install of the graphics drivers.  It's hard to say right now.

What would make me more confident in this thing long term would be improvements in two areas (beyond the hoop jumping you have to go through to get it installed and working properly), behavior after a reboot while docked and reduced chance of graphic corruption after plugging in.

Specifically, sometimes I lose all display if I reboot while docked and sometimes it behaves as normal with the login screen coming up on my primary monitor (often times when it blanks out after reboot, it briefly displays properly on the external monitor first.)

For the 2nd issue, it's the fact that there seems to only be a 65% success rate in having the internal display on the notebook working properly after plugging in the dock.  Sometimes when I plug in, the internal display of the notebook freezes after the external display lights up.  The external display functions fine and it THINKS it's part of a multi-display system (the both displays show up when you look at graphics properties) but the notebook display remains frozen until you undock and dock again.

If these two issues get knocked out with an update, I'll feel a lot better about this thing.

kramrengaw
1 Nickel

I sent mine back last week right at the end of my 30 day window. I'll give Dell/Intel a couple of months to sort out the driver/firmware issues and then try again. It is unfortunate that this thing was not thoroughly tested before it was released. It was clearly not ready for prime time.

Mircolino
1 Nickel

Ditto. Sent mine back yesterday at the end of the 30 days return window.
Could never get it to work no matter the version and sequence of firmwares & drivers I tried.
1 month wasted beta testing a product that should have never been released in the first place.

Don't think I'll buy it again and just wait for a similar product from another company.

0 Kudos
raptorhigh
1 Copper

This dock debacle has honestly put us in a pretty bad place.  We took a leap of faith moving from the (now retired) M4800s to the new 5510s.  All users will be supplied a dock, and this has brought about a ton of issues for out beta testers.  I'm now stuck with either rubber stamping a defective product, or offering nothing in its place.  Dell support wants me to waste time and jump through all the hoops that I've already been through.  I'd be happy to order a ton of these computer/dock combos if they could just get them to work.

0 Kudos
dcabanaw
1 Copper

I found out by accident that a full power down and unplugging fixed the issue.  When installing the drivers I originally only did restarts.

Everything seems okay for now...

0 Kudos
Mingus59
1 Copper

Since my XPS 15 is several days old, I decided to do a system reset, choosing the remove all files/settings and reinstall Windows.  I then installed everything in the order suggested in this thread.  (Previously, I had installed in the order suggested by the TB15 manual, and it's slightly different.)  For me, the end result is unchanged.  The dock is pretty stable with audio, Ethernet and external hard drives.  However, when I connect my monitor (a U2715H), either via Display Port or mini Display Port, instability starts.  This behavior is the same whether I have other connections into the dock or just only video.  The video on the monitor cuts in and out, finally resulting in not coming back on.

0 Kudos
Mircolino
1 Nickel

On another thread user @ was suggesting that overheating might be the cause of the dock DisplayPort instability. He does have a point: the dock gets quite hot to the touch, it doesn't have an active cooling and the case has no venting whatsoever.

I quote him:

"The dock is overheating and I'm 100% sure it is the cause of at least the problems with Display Port going off. My display goes off after 1 to 3 hours. I opened the dock, put heat sinks on couple of chips (usb hub controller and DP hub) and that resulted in 12 hrs of trouble free operation, but the display still went off. So the next time I kept the case open and for 24 hours had no issues. Closed the case (partially) and display went off after an hour.So this time, without turning anything off,  I just blew the air over the the dock motherboard - and the DP screen came back on.

Dell should recall this thing, it is going to be really funny when summer comes. I'll keep mine, just mod it with a fan, I'm pretty sure the new batch has the same design flaw and it is only a matter of time when every single customer will have issues. My dock was working fine for three weeks.

As far as DP monitor going off is concerned, I can replicate this at will, it's the DP hub - VMM3320, the Synaptics chip. The USB hub controller gets also hot as *** and is rated at 70C only, maybe that's responsible for the other stuff people report, Ethernet depends on it also. I'm pretty sure that just cutting some vents will be enough. I can't believe Dell just sealed the case completely without allowing any airflow."