Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2016 21:00

battery issue

I have a Dell Inspiron N5110 laptop.  When I first turn it on (plugged in to power) it shows the battery is charging with those lines showing through the battery icon at the bottom right.  But that only lasts about 10 seconds.  When I hover over the battery icon, it says "1% available, plugged in, charging".  However, it never charges.  Computer works fine on AC Power with adapter.  Does this mean I need a replacement battery??  I don't want to pay 100+ for a new battery and then find out the problem is something else!

2K Posts

November 27th, 2016 09:00

Hi NLSK,

Are you using an original Dell OEM Adapter and battery? When you plug in the adapter to the system, does the adapter stay firm or does it fall off easily? Is the adapter frayed? Is there any damage on the system? Could you test with another power adapter if possible?

Try flashing the BIOS if possible - http://dell.to/1JZP8qH

Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - check the adapter status in BIOS with and without the adapter plugged in. Also, wiggle the adapter cable at the end and see if the status changes in BIOS at any point. Check the battery health in BIOS (if applicable).

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional.

If the adapter is not detected in BIOS and another adapter works fine, then replace the adapter. If not, try another good known battery. If the adapter fits in loose, then replace the dc port - this would be the part you need - http://bit.ly/2gvyfvR

So, adapter, battery, dc port, motherboard - replace in that order.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!