Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 19th, 2015 00:00

bcmpciedhd63.sys Blue Screen Dell XPS 13 QHD

Hello,

My XPS 13 QHD 1TB 16GB RAM new laptop has been crashing on Windows 10 with a blue screen with the error "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area (bcmpciedhd63.sys)"

This laptop is brand new and i have only used it a few times since I purchased it from dell online.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Thanks

A.

2 Posts

June 30th, 2016 03:00

Hi guys, I was having the same issue. I was able to resolve it, but it is still a little too early to see if it really works. bcmpciedhd63.sys is infact a file for wireless card driver. If you search for updated driver automatically any way either through device manager or through dell system detect it doesn't pick up LATEST or RIGHT driver for you. What you need to do is go to device manager click on network adapters then right click on dell wireless 1830 802.11ac and select properties. Then click on driver tab and then click on driver detail, it should show you 1.555.0.0 version of the driver which is problematic and causes this error. You need to update this driver manually since your system doesn't detect it automatically. You should go to dell support website and click on drivers and downloads. Here is the link for it, if it doesn't work just google dell support and you should get to this page. 

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/2k9rg72/drivers/advanced

Then click on find it myself tab. Then click on Network tab in the "find it myself" section. You should see this driver. 

Dell Wireless 1830 WiFi Driver

View details
File Name: 9550_Network_Driver_JKRJ9_WN32_1.566.0.0_A04.EXE
Importance: Recommended
Description: Update Package for Microsoft® Windows® (30.34 MB)
Release Date: 23 Mar 2016
Version: 1.566.0.0 ,A04
Please make sure the version is 1566.0.0, A04. Once you find it. Download it and install manually. Wallah your computer is fixed. Please tell me if it worked for you. I am an IT student and I spend a lot of time on fixing this, if this works for you and you want to donate some money please contact me at zoah2005@gmail.com and I will send you a paypal address to donate. Thank you for your generous donations. 

8 Posts

December 8th, 2015 20:00

Same bluescreens here on XPS 15 Win10 Pro. Got the laptop today, at least 8 bluescreens pointing to bcmpciedhd63.sys.

1 Message

December 12th, 2015 12:00

I also have the top of the range XPS 15 1TB SSD & 4K screen, getting BSOD

I thought BSOD were a thing of the past haven't had one for nearly 3 years now until I purchased this Dell, anoyone have any suggestions?

1 Message

December 14th, 2015 06:00

Ive recently been experiencing BSOD directly related to the Wireless Drivers for the Dell 1830 Wireless A/C adapter. This is day 2 out of the box straight from Dell. I am attaching the BSOD report I am getting from the windows dump:

Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module:
bcmpciedhd63.sys (bcmpciedhd63+0xB0BC0)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFE00143E5A000, 0x2, 0xFFFFF8005C920BC0, 0x0)
Error:
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\bcmpciedhd63.sys
product:
Broadcom WiFi Driver wireless driver

company: Broadcom Corp
description: Broadcom WiFi Driver wireless driver
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

I have researched and researched this to no avail. This has been happening as quick as 15 minutes into using the system and sometimes up to 2 hours after using. I am currently showing that the driver version for this adapter is 1.519.0.0 . is there a new updated driver that I am not seeing available for download? Is anyone else having issues with this driver causing blue screen on the Dell XPS 9550 Windows 10 64bit system? Any help would be greatly appreciated

2 Posts

December 14th, 2015 06:00

I've seen the same crash 5 times now.  Looking at the Dell support page for the XPS 15 shows that the drivers are up to date:

Dell Wireless 1830 WiFi Driver Dell Wireless 1830 WiFi Driver View details <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Communications_Driver_NYN84_WN32_1.519.0.0_A01.EXE | Update Package for Microsoft® Windows® (31 MB)
Modem/Communications|
| Recommended
Version 1.519.0.0,A01 | Other versions available

Very disappointed, as this makes the machine unusable.  Taking it back today to see if maybe the NIC is faulty.

Edit:  Took the machine to the Microsoft Store and they gave me a new one (after looking at the crash history).  I spent a few hours setting up the new machine and things were looking good.  Started downloading some games over Steam, and I just hit the same BSOD twice... 

Looks like I'm going to have to take it back, and go find a laptop that doesn't crash constantly...

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 14th, 2015 08:00

You have 21 days from date of invoice to return to Dell.com

8 Posts

December 14th, 2015 09:00

I think I fixed my issue by updating the bios...the dell updater did not mention that there was a bios available, but I went directly to the download page and installed the latest.

I haven't crashed since.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

December 14th, 2015 09:00

Try testing in safemode with networking, hold shift while clicking restart and choose safemode with networking.

Once in Safemode hop on line and test, with the errors occurring as fast as you mentioned you shouldn't have to wait long.  Is there a difference, do you get the errors less, more or about the same?

If you don't get the errors try msconfig and clean boot troubleshooting. Open msconfig (search for msconfig) and kill the startup group and restart the notebook.  Once back in Windows hop online and test again.  If there is an improvement then there is a likely a program or utility that is causing the error, you can try process of elimination in msconfig to determine what the program is.

If you continue to have problems and safemode nor msconfig doesn't help (you continue to get the errors regardless) download the networking drivers but don't install them, save them on the desktop. Then completely remove the networking drivers and restart.  Once back into Windows reinstall the drivers and see if the errors continue.

Please report back here with the results.

TB

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

December 16th, 2015 07:00

BLipinski,

So the only time that you get the errors is playing games, is this correct? The XPS 13 only has Intel HD graphics which should certainly play some games, but you may have problems with advanced 3D games at high settings and high resolutions. Where they any specific games that caused the errors more than others and have you checked to see if the games are compatible with Intel HD graphics?

TB

8 Posts

December 16th, 2015 10:00

Did you all update your bios? I haven't crashed since...even though the bluescreen had to do with wifi.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> ;fileId=3496557630&osCode=WT64A&productCode=xps-15-9550-laptop&languageCode=EN&categoryId=BI

XPS 15 9550 01.00.07 BIOS

17 Posts

December 19th, 2015 02:00

yes, I'm having all the same issues on brand new Dell XPs 15. Do you use Hyper-V out of curiosity? I found that after upgrading to Win10 enterprise and enabling hyper-v, the screen flickers like mad. I'm not sure if this is related but it will crash overnight and this is the error I get. LKD_0x15E_FATAL_MINIPORT_ERROR_FAILED_D0_IMAGE_bcmpciedhd63.sys.

17 Posts

December 19th, 2015 02:00

Hi Terry,

What is Dell doing about these issues? I have a top of the range XPS 15 that crashes overnight, most days. The screen flickers like mad (good job I'm not epileptic) and is currently unusable despite being on days old. I think I've tracked the screen flicker to Hyper-V, but this shouldn't happen on a machine that is designed to run this. The crash errors:

LKD_0x15E_FATAL_MINIPORT_ERROR_FAILED_D0_IMAGE_bcmpciedhd63.sys

I have no idea what is causing this. But one thing is for certain. There are a lot of people with the same problems and this indicates something is wrong with the devices. All driver versions and Bios is up-to-date.

There seems to be no response from Dell as to what they are doing to fix these issues. I just see a lot of people complain of the same issues and silence from Dell!!! We expect more!

Regards,

Andrew

2 Posts

December 22nd, 2015 06:00

The BSODs occurred whenever I had decent network traffic.  The first laptop I had hit it randomly while my wife watched Netflix.  The 2nd laptop hit it 3 times in a row when I was downloading a game from Steam as part of an install.  I have not doubt that any decent amount of network traffic would hit the issue.

I had fully updated my machine using drivers from dell's support page* (including the firmware).  I had also updated to Windows 10 Pro Update 1.  (I was not running any insider builds)

* Excluding the thermal framework drivers as they did not install correctly.

I should note that I loaded the memory dumps into WinDbg and !analyze showed them all coming from bcmpciedhd63.sys.  I then looked up the crash records in the internal Microsoft Watson database (I work at MS) and noticed that they had a decent # of hits (~100/day).  Not sure why Dell isn't treating this more seriously...

Anyway, I've returned the 2nd one I received, and don't plan on trying another one, which is a pity as the machine itself was fantastic (aside from this)

Edit: I should clarify that I had bought the XPS 15 9550 - i7, 512 from the Microsoft Store.  I posted in this thread as it seemed to be the only recent one about the network driver crashes.  (And presumably is related)

8 Posts

December 22nd, 2015 08:00

I notice when my 1830 wireless driver fails and sends me to BSOD, it's due to the use of the microwave. I'm in my room with good connection, the next room over is the kitchen with the microwave and router, but the microwave is in between me and the router. I never had a laptop or desktop crash when the microwave was in use, it would just lose connection till the microwave was done and resume to normal. But on this laptop, it crashes to blue screen...

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

December 22nd, 2015 09:00

I am sorry to read that you are having these issues. bcmpciedhd63.sys is a file that may be part of the wireless drivers.  This could be caused either by the wireless card, its driver, or some other utility or program that is trying to access the web and will error out when there is a block or halt in internet service.

It is for these reasons why I previously suggested troubleshooting in safemode with networking and clean boot troubleshooting in Windows. These are tests that can help determine if the problem is with the wireless card specifically and if replacing the wireless card might help, or if the problem is not with the wireless card or the Dell hardware but from some other source.

If you are still receiving bcmpciedhd63.sys errors Try testing in safemode with networking, hold shift while clicking restart and choose safemode with networking.

Once in Safemode hop on line and test, with the errors occurring as fast as you mentioned you shouldn't have to wait long.  Is there a difference, do you get the errors less, more or about the same?

If you don't get the errors try msconfig and clean boot troubleshooting. Open msconfig (search for msconfig) and kill the startup group and restart the notebook.  Once back in Windows hop online and test again.  If there is an improvement then there is a likely a program or utility that is causing the error, you can try process of elimination in msconfig to determine what the program is.

I know these type of errors can be very frustrating, please let me know if testing in safemode with networking and with the startup group halted in msconfig made any differences in stopping the error messages.

TB

No Events found!