Andshill7
1 Nickel

RE: bcmpciedhd63.sys Blue Screen Dell XPS 13 QHD

yes, I'm having all the same issues on brand new Dell XPs 15. Do you use Hyper-V out of curiosity? I found that after upgrading to Win10 enterprise and enabling hyper-v, the screen flickers like mad. I'm not sure if this is related but it will crash overnight and this is the error I get. LKD_0x15E_FATAL_MINIPORT_ERROR_FAILED_D0_IMAGE_bcmpciedhd63.sys.

0 Kudos
Andshill7
1 Nickel

Hi Terry,

What is Dell doing about these issues? I have a top of the range XPS 15 that crashes overnight, most days. The screen flickers like mad (good job I'm not epileptic) and is currently unusable despite being on days old. I think I've tracked the screen flicker to Hyper-V, but this shouldn't happen on a machine that is designed to run this. The crash errors:

LKD_0x15E_FATAL_MINIPORT_ERROR_FAILED_D0_IMAGE_bcmpciedhd63.sys

I have no idea what is causing this. But one thing is for certain. There are a lot of people with the same problems and this indicates something is wrong with the devices. All driver versions and Bios is up-to-date.

There seems to be no response from Dell as to what they are doing to fix these issues. I just see a lot of people complain of the same issues and silence from Dell!!! We expect more!

Regards,

Andrew

0 Kudos
BLipinski
1 Copper

The BSODs occurred whenever I had decent network traffic.  The first laptop I had hit it randomly while my wife watched Netflix.  The 2nd laptop hit it 3 times in a row when I was downloading a game from Steam as part of an install.  I have not doubt that any decent amount of network traffic would hit the issue.

I had fully updated my machine using drivers from dell's support page* (including the firmware).  I had also updated to Windows 10 Pro Update 1.  (I was not running any insider builds)

* Excluding the thermal framework drivers as they did not install correctly.

I should note that I loaded the memory dumps into WinDbg and !analyze showed them all coming from bcmpciedhd63.sys.  I then looked up the crash records in the internal Microsoft Watson database (I work at MS) and noticed that they had a decent # of hits (~100/day).  Not sure why Dell isn't treating this more seriously...

Anyway, I've returned the 2nd one I received, and don't plan on trying another one, which is a pity as the machine itself was fantastic (aside from this)

Edit: I should clarify that I had bought the XPS 15 9550 - i7, 512 from the Microsoft Store.  I posted in this thread as it seemed to be the only recent one about the network driver crashes.  (And presumably is related)

0 Kudos
brandonchu
1 Nickel

I notice when my 1830 wireless driver fails and sends me to BSOD, it's due to the use of the microwave. I'm in my room with good connection, the next room over is the kitchen with the microwave and router, but the microwave is in between me and the router. I never had a laptop or desktop crash when the microwave was in use, it would just lose connection till the microwave was done and resume to normal. But on this laptop, it crashes to blue screen...

0 Kudos

I am sorry to read that you are having these issues. bcmpciedhd63.sys is a file that may be part of the wireless drivers.  This could be caused either by the wireless card, its driver, or some other utility or program that is trying to access the web and will error out when there is a block or halt in internet service.

It is for these reasons why I previously suggested troubleshooting in safemode with networking and clean boot troubleshooting in Windows. These are tests that can help determine if the problem is with the wireless card specifically and if replacing the wireless card might help, or if the problem is not with the wireless card or the Dell hardware but from some other source.

If you are still receiving bcmpciedhd63.sys errors Try testing in safemode with networking, hold shift while clicking restart and choose safemode with networking.

Once in Safemode hop on line and test, with the errors occurring as fast as you mentioned you shouldn't have to wait long.  Is there a difference, do you get the errors less, more or about the same?

If you don't get the errors try msconfig and clean boot troubleshooting. Open msconfig (search for msconfig) and kill the startup group and restart the notebook.  Once back in Windows hop online and test again.  If there is an improvement then there is a likely a program or utility that is causing the error, you can try process of elimination in msconfig to determine what the program is.

I know these type of errors can be very frustrating, please let me know if testing in safemode with networking and with the startup group halted in msconfig made any differences in stopping the error messages.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
brandonchu
1 Nickel

Is it possible to just install a different wireless card onto the laptop? Will it void the warranty?

0 Kudos
Chugo
1 Nickel

I had this same error on my XPS 15 9550, i installed the new drivers that were released yesterday morning and haven't seen it since...(fingers crossed)

0 Kudos

If the problem is specifically the wireless card, that could certainly help.  If the problem lies with some type of program trying to access the web then the problems can continue, only this time possibly with different error messages. Its even possible that it could make things worse.  It isn't something that I suggest.

Testing with safemode or msconfig are methods that don't involve removing any hardware or software and can give results pointing to what is actually causing the problems.

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Nuchaz
1 Copper

Did anyone ever figure out how to resolve this? I have a 9550 w. i7 7600hq, 16gb ram, 4k touchscreen, 512gb ssd and I get this exact crash about once every 2 weeks or so. I have had a total of 5 bluescreens since I got this laptop at the end of December. I have the newest bios and wireless driver, but I am still crashing.

0 Kudos
alireza73uk
1 Copper

Hi i read somewhere we can fix this issue by unchecking powersaver of wifi in its driver properties in device manager.

looks like this trick worked for me(6 days without BSOD).