Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

March 4th, 2013 03:00

black strip at each side of the screen...

Hi, I hope somebody can help. I’ve got a Del Studio 1753 laptop and I use it with a separate LG flatron w2486L screen. The cable recently came out of the VGA port and when I plugged it back in there is now a black strip at each side of the screen and the image doesn’t go across the full width any more. In display settings I’ve got the monitor set at the highest resolution possible, 1440x900, but this makes no difference (I’m on Windows 7). Any advice would be much appreciated :emotion-2:

27 Posts

March 4th, 2013 04:00

Hi joyce_davenport,

The LG monitor you are using has been designed to use the 16:9 aspect ratio whereas you are using resolution of 1440X900 which is 16:10 aspect ratio which is causing the issue. You need to change the resolution to 1920X1080 to get the optimal display on monitor.

Also you might need to use the 'Windows'+'P' key on keyboard to switch the display to the external monitor so that you can apply the correct resolution to external monitor.

Hope this helps.

March 4th, 2013 04:00

Hi Sunny25,

Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately 1440X900 is the highest resolution the Del Studio 1753 will go to. Strangely when it did fill the whole screen it looked as though it was at a higher resolution! I have no idea how this was achieved tho :S Any other ideas?

March 5th, 2013 05:00

Ah! My apologies here’s the details of my laptop –

Studio 1735 : Core 2 Duo T5800 (2.0GHz,800Mhz,2MB)

It does go to full screen at 1280X720 but the picture is really blurred.

I’m only using the external monitor as my main screen.

Once again many thanks for your help.

27 Posts

March 5th, 2013 05:00

Try a different resolution like 1280X720 and check if that fixes the issue and also the Dell Studio 1753 cannot be found in the list of laptops manufactured by Dell. Could you please reply with the exact model number of your computer or otherwise just check the type of Display Adapter in Device Manager and reply so that i can give you steps to change the resolution appropriately. Also I would like to know if you are using the external monitor along with the dell studio LCD display i.e. are you trying to use both the screens at the same time?

27 Posts

March 6th, 2013 02:00

Would like to know the video card you are having on computer so that i can give you step by step instructions to change the resolution, aspect ratio options etc.

you can find the same by following the steps below

• Click on start or windows button on keyboard
  • Type 'Device Manager' in search program files and folders
  • Click on 'Device Manager' in search results
  • Expand ‘Display Adapters’ by double clicking on it and check what is listed below it.

Please reply with the findings.

March 6th, 2013 02:00

hi, it's -

Mobile Intel (R) 965 Express Chipset Family

27 Posts

March 6th, 2013 04:00

Unplug the external monitor from the laptop

Click on Start -> Control Panel -> Program and Features/Uninstall a program

Uninstall the Intel HD Graphics drivers and reboot the computer

Download and Install the following files to update the corresponding drivers and rebot the computer :

Chipset Driver : http://tinyurl.com/cja97ht

Video Driver : http://tinyurl.com/b6k2zfv

Now connect the external monitor to the computer.

Right click anywhere on desktop and select intel graphics properties and select Advanced Mode and click on OK

You will get the following window

Make appropriate changes in Display -> Multiple Displays -> Operating Mode -> Single Display

Also Choose Primary Display as External Monitor.

Click on Save

Click on General Settings and you can select the display and change the resolution and also scaling options as shown below.

Hope this helps.

No Events found!