Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

9 Posts

July 1st, 2008 14:00

blank screen when resuming from standby/hibernation forces me to reboot

hi,

i have the vostro 1500 laptop with the nv 8600gt and 1680*1050 screen

i have just referred to the power management troubleshooter in order to resolve this issue without posting. i followed all instructions (to the word) up to a point but eventually it diverted me on to the topic of media direct, which has been removed from my machine, and so, was irrelevant. note that a traditional install of xp pro does not need this for power management to function correctly

when my machine arrived, the first thing i did was make it my own* by slipstreaming xp sp3 into my dell oem xp pro cd, flash upgrade the bios to the latest, delete all four[!] partitions, change the bios to ahci mode and proceed to install my fresh copy of windows xp pro w/ sp3

*whilst more streamlined than a dell "home" setup, the "business" setup, with its supplied apps, was still not ideal for a power user

anyway,

i saw a previous post that suggested disabling the option for "prompt for password" when the system resumed. like that user i do not use a password, just a login name, and so, disabled it. it didn't work for me

does anybody have any other suggestions that don't compromise the efficiency or functionality of my machine?

could this be something to do with ahci, or even the gfx card screen mode settings or something entirely different? as the machine appears to b functioning normally aside from me losing the display on resume

i'm lost on this one so tia for any input at all,

g.a.

Message Edited by g.a. on 07-01-2008 04:38 PM

9 Posts

July 26th, 2008 22:00

just a bump

i've seen a few suggestions but none conclusive

also, what's this vague piece of info i saw about xp needing all drivers to be signed, else it may neglect some on waking from hibernation? is this correct? it seems stupid and suicidal of an o/s to me. is this what is happening? is my gfx driver being omitted and, therefore, i am ending up with a blank screen?

9 Posts

September 20th, 2008 22:00

i'm still having this issue

today i pulled the ac adapter out slightly and the computer transferred to battery power

i didn't see the battery icon on the taskbar because i was in a full screen application at the time

eventually the battery drained and the computer went into standby, which i couldn't intervene and prevent by quickly replacing the ac connector

upon pressing the on button i heard the application resume but got same old blank screen i reported initially

since the last post i have done one dell bios update, one cd rom firmware update and, as always, all my drivers, windows hotfixes and apps that are linked to those are up to date

9 Posts

September 30th, 2008 21:00

it happened again today, so here's another bump

every time i have an experience where my computer goes into standby and i have to hard reset it just to get my screen back i will bump this post

i run an optimal ship and can't deal with the fact that a basic function of portable computers cannot be utilised properly because of this. i now always use ac power where i can because i don't want to be switching off my computer where i left it alone for five minutes. the truth is, that doesn't occur after that amount of time now because i have the computer set to only standby if the battery is completely drained. however, it does if that  is the case and that was the case again today. it's reasonable to expect that i should be able to use standby/hibernate settings normally to retain my data whilst also saving power

9 Posts

July 3rd, 2009 19:00

damnum!* i just lost a massive forum post because i seem to have accidentally refreshed/navigated away from this page with [oddly] no way to recover it using the opposite navigation.

okay. again, without as much detail:-

i still have this problem.

hibernation has never worked. i tried quickset. horrible memory resident app that allowed me to use the fn+f1 key to invoke said problem at will. also to use the media direct button to make the computer hang - because no-one thought to have it check that the required partition was there for it.

uninstalled quickset rubbish.

possible causing factors:-

1) i don't use dell branded [old] drivers. i like to use up-to-date drivers from source, so i use the device instance id to find out what my h/w actually is and go get the latest.

2) my screen being 1680*1050 res?

3) my nv 8600 gt graphics?

4) lack of a required partition that shouldn't be necessary? my friend's latitude d620 doesn't require one to hibernate.

5) my intel 4965agn wireless?

6) the fact i run in ahci mode?

7) some bios setting that is aggravating this? perhaps linked some of the above listed h/w

8) other?

i would like to save power and wear on my h/w components whilst i am afk. without standby/hibernation [yes, i think standby is also affected] i cannot achieve this. any external input to my very own year+ monologue thread would be appreciated.

cheers,

g.~

*i was just notified that this post had been deleted due to offensive language.

i couldn't find any, but have to assume that the word that sat in place of this one was taken out of context and meaning and flagged by the forum software, possibly construed as something with negative religious connotations.

i have seen some [often u.s. originating] bb software do this before, using blacklists which flag commonly used english language words as expletives and replacing them with hashes, making it look like you were really cursing instead!

anyway, i have now replaced it with its alternative, of latin origin, meaning loss or damage [many european languages, inluding english, have common latin roots], to avoid any further confusion.

9 Posts

September 6th, 2009 08:00

Just another bump, as I let my power cable slip out today and the computer went to sleep/hibernate self-destruct.

I see there's no BIOS update or other explanation for this. There's unlikely to be.

I can't phone Dell without cost, as my warranty is finished.

Still, it won't stop me bumping this thread as, a laptop is a portable computer and battery and data saving via sleep or hibernation is a priority.

I won't be disabling sleep/hibernate modes in my OS as that is not a solution.

Until next time [I get another rude realisation that my portable computer isn't really that portable at all].

1 Message

October 1st, 2009 13:00

I had this same problem.  I have found that with one of my A/C adaptors that if I plug it in before I resume, that I will resume to a blank page.  If I resume first before plugging in, I do not have the problem.  I beleive that all of my AC adaptors are the same model, so this makes no sense, but it always happens with one and not the other. 

I also have found that when I do recover to a blank screen.  90% of the time I can get it to re-suspend by waiting for awhile, then hitting the power button for 1 full second waiting about 30 seconds and then hitting the enter key and waiting.  (Essentially, you are going to suspend blindly without seeing the screen).  Then I unplug the cord and come back and it works.

I hope this helps.

5 Posts

December 30th, 2010 16:00

Same issue.

I have tried reinstalling Dell drivers and upgrade from there and messing about with powercfg in cmd to force to use hibernation with 100 of RAM.

It suddenly worked as intended.

On next restart it stopped. I assume its the Realtek drivers since this was one thing I updated. 

ITS FRUSTRATING!

4 Posts

December 8th, 2011 07:00

I am experience the same symptoms on a Latititude E6410  - has anyone found a cause or solution.

5 Posts

December 8th, 2011 07:00

I fixed the issue for myself by reinstalling drivers from the disk that came with the laptop (some I downloaded off the Dell site) and finding the one that caused this issue.

For me it was the newest set of RealTek drivers that Windows Update would reccomend. Installing the Dell default ones fixed the issue.

No Events found!