Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2013 14:00

can''t load windows 7. wont start up

i have 14s?  and the operating system won't load. i have tried doing a factory restore and everything seems to load but when windows tries to start up it fails again. ?

some noise was heard and a beep from within.

hard disk failure?

thanks

10 Posts

safe mode wont start. a list of drivers that load then crashes. cant get into diagostics either. gives me the repair of start normally screen

• 

3.3K Posts

Hi jlongster,

Please check if the system opens in Safe mode. To go to ‘Safe Mode’ restart the system and at the Dell logo tap the F8 key every two seconds. In the ‘Advanced Boot options’ window using arrow keys,  select ‘Safe Mode’ and hit enter.

Also I recommend you to run diagnostics on the hardware components of the system. To run diagnostics restart the system and at the Dell logo tap the F12 key every two seconds. This will start the One-time boot menu. Using arrow keys select ‘Diagnostics’ and hit enter. This will run diagnostics on the hardware components of the system which may take around 5 minutes. Please reply to this post in case of any error message.

10 Posts

thanks, will do later

• 

3.3K Posts

June 24th, 2013 18:00

Hi jlongster,

Please shut the system down, press and hold the Fn key and power on the computer. This will launch diagnostics. Revert with the status.  

10 Posts

June 25th, 2013 14:00

ran the diagnostics. no problems found. now doing extended memory test

• 

3.3K Posts

June 25th, 2013 16:00

Hi jlongster,

Thank you for the update.  Since the diagnostics passed, hardware components are working as designed. There is no necessity to run extended test on memory.

There seems to be an issue with the Operating system.  I request you to restore the system to the factory installed state. Please follow the instructions given in the below link:

http://dell.to/18LZJ7j

Revert with the status.

10 Posts

June 26th, 2013 07:00

Sujatha,  did the factory restore and still won't start up. launched startup repair and message can't repair. all diagnosis and repair details say tests are successful. ? thanks for your help

• 

3.3K Posts

June 26th, 2013 16:00

Hi jlongster,

Good to know the diagnostics passed. It means all the hardware components of the system are working as designed. Since you are unable to restore the system to the factory installed state, I suspect the recovery partition is corrupted. The next option is to install the Operating system manually. Please find the steps below for installation:

http://dell.to/Qe7jyP

10 Posts

June 27th, 2013 13:00

the only disk that came with the computer is a drivers and utilities disk. how do i get a dvd of the operating system?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 27th, 2013 14:00

Depends on what country you are in.

There is a media request form but its for the USA.

To proceed with requesting these backup discs, continue to the Request Backup Discs form, fill out all the requested information and click Submit. Note that this form is not available outside the United States.

Important Note:

If you are a country other than the United States and need to request backup Discs, please contact Technical Support

10 Posts

July 2nd, 2013 12:00

got the disks from dell and installed the windows operating system. the only thing is that when starting windows, just after the dell logo a screen that says seledt operating system.. windows 7 is listed two times. i press enter and everthing load fine. help one more time

• 

3.3K Posts

July 4th, 2013 23:00

Hi jlongster,

I suspect even the previous version of Windows 7 is listed. You need to delete that corrupted version of Windows 7. Please follow the steps given below:

The easiest way to remove an entry in the Windows 7 Boot Configuration is to use msconfig. 

To launch msconfig:

1.  Click Start

2.  In the Search text box, type msconfig

3.  Launch msconfig by selecting it from the search results above the search text box.

After msconfig is launched:

1.  Go to the Boot tab

2.  Select the boot entry you want to delete.

3.  Click the Delete button and then click OK.

Make sure to be logged in to the Windows 7 partition you want to keep when performing these steps so you don't delete the good installation by mistake.

No Events found!