Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2009 10:00

charging and battery usage on an Inspiron 9300

When I plug in my a/c adapter it refuses to charge my battery or operate on a/c.  If I hold it in really hard, then the charging light will turn on but if I let go it goes out.  Someone told me that I would have to replace the motherboard.  If I need to do that can I keep my hard drive with all my programs on it?dgb

134 Posts

April 15th, 2009 10:00

Yup, your motherboard has a bad A/C connection... New motherboard is needed.... You can keep your drive and everything on it. That isn't the part that needs to be replaced, it your motherboard.. You will be fine.

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 15th, 2009 12:00

The mainboard doesn't have an AC connection - though the power jack may be faulty (it's a DC jack).  It MAY be possible to have just the jack replaced - if so, it'll cost less than half what a new board will ($150-200 vs. $400-500 at US prices).  You'll need a shop that can do board-level soldering to have the jack replaced.

5 Posts

July 24th, 2009 23:00

Don't count on the longevity of the motherboard. I had mine replaced. Within 6 months, the problem came back. I am to the point now where I am replacing the machine. Dell has generally good equipment, but this apparently common problem is really quite unacceptable. Dell should have had the DC power input section of the motherboard redesigned and should be providing owners of the Inspiron 9300 (and other models, if applicable) with motherboards that function correctly as a goodwill gesture. One reporter's opinion...

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 25th, 2009 06:00

Power jack failures happen to all portable electronic devices.  And they have indeed moved the connector to a daughterboard on many of the newer model systems.

The 9300 is several years old - given the expected life of a notebook (about three years) it's done well.

No Events found!